No one is safe

By Jon Geddes
August 22, 2007

AUSTRALIA'S forwards have received a sobering warning on the eve of their departure for the World Cup - no one is guaranteed a spot in the pack.

It has also been revealed that the often maligned Aussie forwards have a mindset to silence the critics and prove they can match it with the world's best in France.

"The players themselves are very, very determined as a group not to be seen as the poor relations of the Wallabies," said assistant coach Michael Foley.

"It's about how can we say, 'Our performance is indicative of the way we feel about our country'."

Foley said most people, including the selectors, would have a fair idea in their minds what they think the make-up of the pack should be.

"But I don't think there is anyone with a clear advantage to be able to say, 'I'm going to be the No.1 for this whole tournament'," Foley said. "I can't see one position that isn't contested.".

That competition is illustrated by openside flankers George Smith and Phil Waugh, who Foley describes as the spiritual leaders of the team.

"They are warriors of the game," he said. "They are in the top three in their position in the world. What are the margins between Phil and George. It is so fine."

The rivalry for the No.8 spot has increased after David Lyons received a final clearance to take his place in the squad after coming through a full contact session at Coogee Oval.

He has been suffering blood clots and will give himself three injections of blood thinners a day while on tour. Lyons will compete with Wycliff Palu and Stephen Hoiles for a place in the pack.

Foley says the Wallabies have two really talented young No.6s in Rocky Elsom and Hugh McMeniman in their squad.

In the second-row he said Mark Chisholm could easily fit in for Dan Vickerman or Nathan Sharpe.

"And as a coach, you wouldn't lose any sleep because that guy is capable of going out there and being dominant," Foley said.

Foley said that tighthead prop Guy Shepherdson had been outstanding this year.

"And after what has been a disappointing few seasons Al Baxter has really laid down the marker and said, 'I want the spot'," Foley said. "He has trained very bloody well. He could go out there and do a job for us."

Foley said Greg Holmes was putting pressure on Matt Dunning for the other prop spot, while there was little separating hookers Stephen Moore and Adam Freier.

"There is not one position where daylight is second," Foley said.

He said the Wallabies forwards rate their backs if not the best, certainly equal to anybody else in the world.

"We have had a very dominant backline for some time and it's influenced largely how we have played - and so it should," Foley said.

"As a forward group, you come together in what is probably the most confrontational aspect of the game - eight guys bound tightly together slamming into another eight guys.

"If we can match up, we believe we are going to be in with a chance of beating anybody. If you don't front up, it's going to be very hard for the players behind."