Thread: Another possible convert..

vCash

Another possible convert..

Japanese rugby club Suntory's $1.2m offer to Karmichael Hunt

Peter Badel
    May 24, 2009 12:00am
    .FORMER Wallaby coach Eddie Jones' desire to secure a world-class five-eighth for Suntory is clouding the Japanese rugby club's bid for Karmichael Hunt.

The formal interest from Suntory came as St George Illawarra board member Sean O'Connor scuppered rumours he was secretly organising a property deal to lure Hunt to the joint-venture club.

The Sunday Mail understands the Japanese giant is set to table a $1.2 million offer for Hunt in a move that would almost certainly see the Broncos star quit the NRL.

A consultant to Suntory, Jones is an unabashed fan of Hunt and believes the Maroons custodian could be a hit offshore in the No.10 jumper.

But Jones is also eyeing off fly-half Charlie Hodgson, who plays for English club Sale and shapes as a more reliable investment given Hunt's lack of playmaking experience in rugby.

St George Illawarra has been mooted as a potential home for the fullback, with coach Wayne Bennett - Hunt's mentor for five years at Brisbane - the ace in negotiations. However, it is understood the Dragons, via recruitment chief Craig Young, will not make a formal play for Hunt. The club would only be able to meet his $500,000-a-season price tag if it offloaded off-contract duo Justin Poore and Brett Morris. But Suntory's proposed two-year, $600,000-a-season offer gives Hunt the chance to temporarily escape what he sees as the fishbowl existence of the NRL.

The 22-year-old Hunt revealed he is close to deciding on his future, but had yet to settle on a destination.

"I'm not too far off sorting out my contract," ghe said.

"It should only be around the corner.

"I'm not too sure what I'm going to do. I don't want to put a date on it because then I'll look stupid if it doesn't come up."

Asked if he would stay in the NRL, Hunt said: "I don't know. I'm still sorting stuff out. I just want to have a good year."

Speculation last week claimed O'Connor, a former Illawarra forward who now works in real estate, had brokered a beachside property in the NSW south-coast town of Corrimal, near the Dragons' Wollongong base, for Hunt and his family.

But O'Connor denied having any contact with Hunt.

"There is no truth in that," O'Connor said. "It's pure speculation. I've never heard from Karmichael Hunt or any of his people.

"I do work in real estate but I have never had any contact with Karmichael or anyone connected with him."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...003411,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    "There is no truth in that," O'Connor said. "It's pure speculation. I've never heard from Karmichael Hunt or any of his people.

"I do work in real estate but I have never had any contact with Karmichael or anyone connected with him."
    Not quite the same as saying " I'm not looking for a property in Corrimal on behalf of Saints and I've had no contact with them about one either"

The Dogs are interested in Morris but I doubt the Sharks are in a position to get Poore across the line after the month they've had.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Hunt has a fairly dodgy track record in League for off-field behaviour doesn't he?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Haven't they all?

---------- Post added at 14:21 ---------- Previous post was at 14:21 ----------

OK, OK, OK I realise it was a cheap shot, but an easier laugh was never on offer!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    The Dogs are interested in Morris but I doubt the Sharks are in a position to get Poore across the line after the month they've had.
    I know the Bulldogs are keen on Brett, shame his brother Josh missed out in the narrow loss last weekend

Parramatta are also in the hunt for Justin Poore, but surely no one is going to sign with Cronulla at the moment

Karmicheal Hunt isn't needed at the Dragons, I'd rather they keep Poore and Morris and Darious Boyd is doing very well at fullback at the moment

How much 5/8th has Hunt played by the way?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    How much 5/8th has Hunt played by the way?
    Dunno but I wasn't a huge fan when I did see him there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    shame his brother Josh missed out in the narrow loss last weekend
    GIGS is not the only one getting a cheap shot off in this thread.

Josh didn't play BTW. Eight weeks out with a foot injury. But the Dogs are doing OK without him and are still top of the ladder - 6 points ahead of Saints. Two Sandgropers in the starting 13 too - gotta like that!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    GIGS is not the only one getting a cheap shot off in this thread.

Josh didn't play BTW. Eight weeks out with a foot injury. But the Dogs are doing OK without him and are still top of the ladder - 6 points ahead of Saints. Two Sandgropers in the starting 13 too - gotta like that!
    I knew he was injured, wasn't sure what the injury was though.

Cheap shot?

6 points? Oh Ponits differential