Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Other overnight autumn test results.

vCash

Other overnight autumn test results.

Springboks hang on against gallant Wales

World champions South Africa kept their almost perfect record against Six Nations champions Wales intact as they dramatically held on to a 20-15 opening tour victory at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff on Saturday.

Damned intercept pass!!!!

Improving England show signs of life

Danny Cipriani bagged 19 points as England eased passed the Islanders 39-13 on Saturday, in doing so they showed promising sides, especially when they moved the ball around.

France kick their way to victory

France edged a tedious 12-6 victory over Argentina on Saturday, although the game, which many had expected to be full of open rugby, was dominated by endless kicking from both sides.

All Blacks too good for Scotland

New Zealand cruised home to a comfortable 32-6 victory over an error-prone Scotland outfit at a wet Murrayfield Stadium in Edinburgh on Saturday.

Ireland make light work of Canada

Ireland brushed aside Canada 55-0 in front of a delighted Thomond Park crowd on Saturday, although heavy rain put pay to the open game many had expected to see.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    unlucky hook. his second touch of the ball and 1st minute in, and he throws an intercept pass for jean de villiers to score a try. way too predictable.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I have a feeling that France would do whatever it takes to record a victory against los Pumas this time around!!!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gotheforce View Post
    unlucky hook. his second touch of the ball and 1st minute in, and he throws an intercept pass for jean de villiers to score a try. way too predictable.
    Great crowd as usual at millenium stadium.

Should be a cracking atmosphere for the Wallabies game in a few weeks.

Poor Hook, most of us have done it at least once in a game and it bites.

Well done to the boks, a game we really could of and should of won.

vCash
    Irelands's first game under Kidney - they were a team - especially the backs - Readdon was a fantastic scrum half quick and decisive outclassed poor Stringer other notiables was Earl at 15 and Carney. The Canadian Scrum had the ascendency in the first half - however Canada ran out of steam and sense early in the second half in fact at the 60 minute mark most were looking at the clock to find a way to put Canada out of their misery. Disappointed in Canada especially given their gutsy during the World Cup.

Suitable warmup game for the All Blacks next week - doubt it but they should put on a decent show.

ARG V France

Not one single try - scrappy penalty ridden effort -difficult to establish who had the home team advantage given most of the Arg players play in France - with most of the emphasis on front row domination - the fastest movement at the Velodrome was the Mexican Wave on a cold night in Marseilles. The French will be pleased at their scorecard against Arg for the last few outings stands at a less humiliating 2-5

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    throwing an intercept pass is going to happen somewhere in the game. But it happening in the first min you're on, and especially after you receive a tremendous applause after taking over stephen jones, is just plain embarassing and unlucky.

but the wales game was good to watch. the atmosphere looked great and wales really picked it up in the second half, though it was looking like a massacre in the first 10 mins. Wales showed some great class players coming up. South Africa though looked nothing like the Jake White side that won the World Cup. Putting John Smit in at prop? good idea, but just didn't work. Pieter De Villiers is gonna be the death of south african rugby.IMHO.

The NZ game was pretty good to watch as well. Scotland showed signs of brilliance and almost scored a couple of times. You could see this was a bit of a warm up game for Graham Henry, with the second string team coming out. But even then, they performed well and looked like an international side. He even put Dan Carter at 9 for a bit towards the end. Imagine a Carter, Donald and Nonu combination. Looks good on paper!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Can you blame an intercept try in the first minute for the reason for losing a match?
    A set back for sure but surely no more than that over the course of the next 79 minutes?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Can you blame an intercept try in the first minute for the reason for losing a match?
    A set back for sure but surely no more than that over the course of the next 79 minutes?
    Probably not but the intercept try happened in the 56th minute (it was Hooks first minute). That blew the score out to 20 - 3. Wales then put it into gear finally and dominated the boks for the rest of the game with the final result 20 to 15. If the intercept try hadn't happened it would have been 15 to us and 13 to the boks. Plus our two missed penalties would have made it 21 to us and 13 to the boks.

Oh well the history books will show another win the them over us. I think that's 21 to them and one to us in 1999.

Two great debutants in Lee Halfpenny at 14 whose only 19 years old and Andy Powell at 8, both were sensational on debut.

vCash
    and a draw according to an article I read on the foxsports website WRF
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    and a draw according to an article I read on the foxsports website WRF
    Posted via Mobile Device
    That explains it then, I'd thought we had met 23 times all up.

vCash
    No. 8 powell had a fantastic game. Prob one of the best on field for the welsh.
    Byrne had a good game at 15 as well. Think itll be a cracker of a game when aus plays wales, if aus plays their a team.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Ahh, I see, my bad thanks WRF, didn't get to watch obviously

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    That explains it then, I'd thought we had met 23 times all up.
    I don't make em up I just report em

Same article said the scoreboard flattered Wales as well
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I don't make em up I just report em

Same article said the scoreboard flattered Wales as well
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Written by Yani Francois Hougarrd Do Plessis Skinstad the 3rd.

vCash
    Finally got home so I can post it up

Springboks withstand Welsh charge

From correspondents in Cardiff, Wales

November 09, 2008

WORLD champions South Africa withstood a late onslaught to beat Wales 20-15 in their opening autumn rugby international at the Millennium Stadium.

The Springboks, boasting eight of their 2007 World Cup final-winning team, scored two tries through Adrian Jacobs and Jean de Villiers, with Ruan Pienaar hitting two penalties and two conversions for a result that was ultimately far more comfortable than the 20-15 scoreline indicated.

Wales, who floundered on a rock-solid South African defence and dominance in the loose, failed to cross the Springbok whitewash, notching up five penalties through debutant Leigh Halfpenny and James Hook (4).

South African captain John Smit said that while it was good to get a win, their overall performance had not been the one he had looked for.

"It is always good to get a win on the board. However, we made a mistake in falling back into defensive mode.

"We paid for that. We waited for the game to finish with 15 minutes remaining and it was very frustrating," said Smit.

Wales backrow forward Andy Powell, who marked his debut by being named man of the match, said that the day was not far off when the Welsh would beat a southern hemisphere team.

"We left it too late in terms of our comeback but the Springboks have a very strong defence," said Powell, who almost gave up the game because of a series of injuries.

"We are not far away from beating a southern hemisphere side, we have just got to get the cutting edge."

The countries have now met on 23 occasions over 104 years of competition, including four time in the last 12 months, with South Africa leading the series 21-1, with one draw.

The sole Welsh victory came in 1999.

Springboks withstand Welsh charge - Rugby - Fox Sports

I highlighted that part becasue it made me laugh fairly hard

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast