Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Force's oval upgrade wish may come true

vCash

Force's oval upgrade wish may come true

Force's oval upgrade wish may come trueTim Clarke
    April 29, 2009 - 10:20AM
    Premier Colin Barnett has dropped the strongest hint yet that the future of the Western Force will be secured with funding being granted to redevelop their new home at Member's Equity Stadium.

Outgoing Force CEO Greg Harris warned last week that unless the required $75 million to upgrade the former Perth Oval was found in the next state budget, there was a real possibility the Super 14 team could fold.

The previous Gallop government originally promised $25 million to upgrade Member's Equity Stadium as part of RugbyWA’s successful pitch to host the Super 14 team.

But after the Force originally chose to stick with Subiaco after the first year crowd figures, the Member's Equity Stadium is still to eventuate - despite the mining boom and massive surpluses of recent years.

Perth Glory and the WA Reds rugby league side are also desperate for the upgrade.

Mr Barnett yesterday hinted everyone's pleas might be answered.

"When we took the decision to defer a redevelopment or rebuilding of Subiaco we have also had discussions with rugby and soccer on a rectangular stadium, because those sports are not catered for," he said.

"No decision has been made but Sports Minister Terry Waldron is working on that, and in due course I will be working on it too.

"Rugby fans tell me watching rugby at a place like Subiaco does not work, and the membership of the Force demonstrates that. Similarly attendance at soccer games has fallen.

"That is a far smaller, more modest project. We have got to balance as a government which projects go forward.

"It seems reasonable that we could proceed with improving the rectangular sports and rugby facilities."

Shadow sports minister Ken Travers said the Force had every right to expect their wishes to be granted, seeing as they were promised the upgrade four years ago.

"They have every right to expect the State Government to honour the commitment that was made to them in 2004," Mr Travers said.

"In any other sphere, if governments give a written commitment, future governments normally honour those commitments. In this case a commitment was given with the bi-partisan support.

"The problem we have got is the Government sticking its head in the sand and not dealing with the sports issues."

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/forc...0428-alyp.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 29-04-09 at 10:54. Reason: link didn't come through

vCash
    Where was this hint dropped – at the same meeting where he proposed to build a canal from up north to Perth, or where he tried to defend Troy’s chair sniffing as high jinks!

vCash
    It's here.

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/forc...0428-alyp.html

"When we took the decision to defer a redevelopment or rebuilding of Subiaco we have also had discussions with rugby and soccer on a rectangular stadium, because those sports are not catered for,". Colin Barnett
    With that admission you'd have to be hopeful.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    God, this is a bit rich isn't it?:

Shadow sports minister Ken Travers said the Force had every right to expect their wishes to be granted, seeing as they were promised the upgrade four years ago.

"They have every right to expect the State Government to honour the commitment that was made to them in 2004," Mr Travers said.

vCash
    Ha i was just about to quote that too Swee! In other words "despite the fact that we were dicks and didn't follow through on the promise we made for 4 years, I really think that it is unfair of the Coalition not to give the Force their upgrade...it's actually all their fault and the Force should be angry at them..."

Dickhead...

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swee_82 View Post
    God, this is a bit rich isn't it?:
    Thats not rich, I think thats border line hypocritical, and it astounds the mind that anyone in the current opposition (former Labor Government) could say that

Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
    Dickhead...
    got in before me Jehna, but that sums it up

I might have to get my letter writing on later today

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Thats not rich, I think thats border line hypocritical, and it astounds the mind that anyone in the current opposition (former Labor Government) could say that
    Unfortunately that's politics

It's not about doing anything or helping anyone. It's all about trying to score points, no matter how wrong or pathetic.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Unfortunately that's politics

It's not about doing anything or helping anyone. It's all about trying to score points, no matter how wrong or pathetic.
    I know that's politics, I don't know why I was so surprised by it

Hardly points scoring for Labor though, just reminds me and probably many others here how much the Labor screwed the Force/RugbyWA over

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I know that's politics, I don't know why I was so surprised by it

Hardly points scoring for Labor though, just reminds me and probably many others here how much the Labor screwed the Force/RugbyWA over
    I don't care much so long as we are getting an upgrade now.
    Although I can't help wonder how the AFL supporters will react to the news.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    I don't care much so long as we are getting an upgrade now.
    Although I can't help wonder how the AFL supporters will react to the news.

Most likely......BADLY.

But it seems we have them worried enough for them to wheel out Demitriouuu.

vCash
    I hope they react badly to the news. Sucks when the government doesn't really give a crap doesn't it WAFC?! hahahahaha

All thats left now is for Barnett to agree & commit, in writing, to the MES upgrade and re-development, what a thoughtful present!

vCash
    Commitment in writing means nothing Laura, The shadow minister's comment is proof of that. I want to see a $75 Million line in the budget!

C'mon the

vCash
    aww poor AFL. suck it up. afl is not god's gift to australia. other sports do exist and its about time they got the recognition they deserved
    go Colin! go MES!! GO FORCE & rectangular oval-using sports

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Ok then, I want a bloody on signature to say we have the funding, its yours & here's your cheque for $100 million.
    I'm tired of hearing them saying yes something needs to be done and then nothing happeneing. My reasoning behind the commitment in wiritng & signing it is that its the first step in getting something done. Signature is binding proof of his committment. Next step is the signature on the cheque and actually having a big enough set to hand it over and publicly support sports played on a rectangular field, thus ending AFL having hold over everything sporting in this state.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    Signature is binding proof of his committment
    Just like the signature from the Government promising a $25 million upgrade to MES when the Bid for the 4th franchise was first presented?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast