Thread: So while we're still waiting to know what is going to happen with MES

vCash

So while we're still waiting to know what is going to happen with MES

Rudd government pledges $36 million for Gold Coast AFL stadium

May 07, 2009 .

The Rudd government will kick in $36 million for the Gold Coast AFL stadium, enabling the major project to go ahead and opening the way for a new club.

Federal Infrastructure Minister Anthony Albanese will join Queensland Premier Anna Bligh and AFL boss Andrew Demetriou at Cararra Stadium on the Gold Coast on Thursday to make the announcement.

The 25,000-seat stadium is needed for the region to host an AFL team in 2011.

It could also be used to host major events being sought for Queensland such as a future Commonwealth Games and the football and cricket World Cups.

The Queensland government has promised $60 million, with the AFL and Gold Coast City Council also chipping in towards the $126 million bill.

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23211,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Good Ole Perth left behind...

Can someone please tell me what Colin Barnett / current Government has done for WA since he's been in parlimant (not that i'm shitty that we haven't got a stadium on the cards - but in general) ??

---------- Post added at 10:54 ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 ----------

Since the Force have had there license back in 2004. The following stadiums have been errected or upgraded somehow

Adelaide Oval (Cricket)
    Aurora Stadium (Hawthorn's AFL Tassie)
    EnergyAustralia Stadium (Newcastle Knights)
    Jade Stadium (Canterbury Saders) Christchurch Completed
    Melbourne Cricket Ground (all Sports)
    Mt Smart Stadium (New Zealand Warriros)
    Oki Jubilee Stadium (St George Dragons)
    Skilled Park (Gold Coast Titans)
    Skilled Stadium (Geelong Cats)
    Sydney Cricket Ground (Sydney Swans)
    Toyota Stadium (Cronulla Sharks)
    WIN Stadium (St George Dragons)

Where's Perth, still sitting on a lump of dirt in East Perth.

I can see Fulham & W.Wolves turning around and saying "stadium & premises are not up to scratch" we are taking the game to North Qld or else where. Losing more money for WA (with the revenue of supporters and the teams) as well as supporting the ever failing numbers at the Glory.

The stadium in Mandurah (Hyundai) has better facilities for the players than M.E.S.

This is a wee bit funny. click on this link to see where "aussie stadiums website" has the Western Force's home ground
    "WACA Ground Western Australia Perth 20,000 03/03/09 " http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/s...rt.php?sport=5[COLOR="Silver"]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    [/COLOR]Since the Force have had there license back in 2004. The following stadiums have been errected or upgraded somehow

Adelaide Oval (Cricket)
    Aurora Stadium (Hawthorn's AFL Tassie)
    EnergyAustralia Stadium (Newcastle Knights)
    Jade Stadium (Canterbury Saders) Christchurch Completed
    Melbourne Cricket Ground (all Sports)
    Mt Smart Stadium (New Zealand Warriros)
    Oki Jubilee Stadium (St George Dragons)
    Skilled Park (Gold Coast Titans)
    Skilled Stadium (Geelong Cats)
    Sydney Cricket Ground (Sydney Swans)
    Toyota Stadium (Cronulla Sharks)
    WIN Stadium (St George Dragons)

Where's Perth, still sitting on a lump of dirt in East Perth.

I can see Fulham & W.Wolves turning around and saying "stadium & premises are not up to scratch" we are taking the game to North Qld or else where. Losing more money for WA (with the revenue of supporters and the teams) as well as supporting the ever failing numbers at the Glory.

The stadium in Mandurah (Hyundai) has better facilities for the players than M.E.S.

This is a wee bit funny. click on this link to see where "aussie stadiums website" has the Western Force's home ground
    "WACA Ground Western Australia Perth 20,000 03/03/09 " http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/s...rt.php?sport=5
    The contracts have been signed as far as I know, I just got off the phone to the Glory with a few questions including whether there will be a members only period for the tickets to the games. The owner of the Glory, Tony Sage has put up more then $1 million of his own money to see this go ahead.

The 4 stadiums I bolded had some form of Federal Funding involved in the Re-developments I'm fairly sure

Champion
    vCash
    Has anyone seen this...

»Perth Stadium

http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/special/perth.php

Perth Stadium was to be completed in 2003 near the Perth Convention and Exhibition Centre. Two initial designs for the stadium included a capacity of 19,000; however the first design had just one side of seating undercover while the other design had the majority of seating undercover. It was planned that future redevelopments would include an increased capacity to 30,000, depending on demand. Perth Stadium was to have lighting and world-class facilities; it would play host to soccer and rugby, the main tenant being the Perth Glory Soccer Club. The plan was scrapped due to a lack of commitment from the Perth Glory. The club have instead chosen to redevelop its current home ground, Perth Oval (Members’ Equity Stadium).

Please dont tell me, what they (PGlory) have done to M.E.S. is what they consider as a finishing project to redevelop.

Capacity: 19,000
    Video Screen: No
    Lights: Yes
    Arena Roof: No
    Purpose: To become the major stadium in Perth for Soccer and Rugby, and become home ground of the Perth Glory Soccer Club, Western Force Rugby Union Club.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    [/COLOR]Has anyone seen this...

»Perth Stadium

http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/special/perth.php

Perth Stadium was to be completed in 2003 near the Perth Convention and Exhibition Centre. Two initial designs for the stadium included a capacity of 19,000; however the first design had just one side of seating undercover while the other design had the majority of seating undercover. It was planned that future redevelopments would include an increased capacity to 30,000, depending on demand. Perth Stadium was to have lighting and world-class facilities; it would play host to soccer and rugby, the main tenant being the Perth Glory Soccer Club. The plan was scrapped due to a lack of commitment from the Perth Glory. The club have instead chosen to redevelop its current home ground, Perth Oval (Members’ Equity Stadium).

Please dont tell me, what they (PGlory) have done to M.E.S. is what they consider as a finishing project to redevelop.

Capacity: 19,000
    Video Screen: No
    Lights: Yes
    Arena Roof: No
    Purpose: To become the major stadium in Perth for Soccer and Rugby, and become home ground of the Perth Glory Soccer Club, Western Force Rugby Union Club.
    I remember reading about it years ago, but 2003 was when Perth Oval was tranformed into MES today. The redevelopment of MES has always had 3 stages which when finally completed would hold 35,000

The two parts that I have bolded show the point, it would have originally held 19,000 and probably still would knowing WA State Governements

Champion
    vCash
    Thanks Jarg's. my question still is What has Barnett's government done for all us West Ozzies since he's been in parliament (not just our stadium but generally)...

Stand up Barnett or WA will be like Rottnest island getting further and further away from the rest of Australia with sporting events, and other major events.