Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reds keep two but lose one to Force

Senior Player
    vCash

Reds keep two but lose one to Force

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...-one-to-force/

The Queensland Reds have fought off both the Western Force and the NSW Waratahs to keep rising Wallabies hooker James Hanson at Ballymore next season.

But fellow 2012 Test debutant Luke Morahan will leave the Reds to link with the Force in the search of more starting opportunities in Super Rugby.

Completing the Reds-Force tug-of-war, former Queensland prop and Force assistant coach Nick Stiles will return to his old franchise in 2014 as forwards coach.

The Reds are set to announce Hanson's re-signing in the coming days following a long fight to keep him in Brisbane after he started the first month of this season on the bench, hemmed in behind Saia Faingaa.

Hanson, 24, had been tipped to join the Force before the Waratahs also went hard for the rake's signature but opted to stick with the certainty of the Reds program and playing list.

"James had a lot of potential to move elsewhere in Australia in the last couple of weeks but we've had some really positive discussions," said head coach Richard Graham.

Hanson and Faingaa, who may return from a neck injury against the pacesetting Chiefs on Saturday, will continue to battle for the Reds No.2 jersey as well as Wallabies squad selection as third choice hooker behind Stephen Moore and Tatafu Polota-Nau.

Wallabies second-rower Rob Simmons has also agreed to stay in Brisbane but his next contract won't be finalised until after his top-up negotiations finish with the Australian Rugby Union.

Simmons and Hanson have been two of the Reds' most consistent forwards and their retention, staying with a team that has a number of Test stars already on contract for 2014, is a continued good sign for Queensland.

Morahan's loss comes as the blazing wing-fullback looks to establish himself as a regular starter after four years on the fringes with the Reds.

He started at fullback in Australia's opening Test of 2012 against Scotland but has been overlooked as Queensland No.15 in the past month with the rugged Jono Lance replacing an injured Mike Harris.

Morahan started on the wing in the Reds' last-start 34-33 win over the Highlanders but may again be dumped with Digby Ioane striving to return from a knee problem and fit-again Rod Davies also in the picture.

Director of coaching Ewen McKenzie is confident red-hot flanker Liam Gill (thumb) will start against the defending champion Chiefs in Hamilton, but back-up No.7 Beau Robinson's return from an ankle injury is still a couple of weeks away.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    thanks peter, this was the article i mentioned in another thread just before.

while this is good news - it should not be hapenning in week 9 of the competition. there should be a period to announce this stuff in the june test window & at the end of the test season only.

Pulvier needs to pull some rank soon or he will be seen as spineless as JON.
    loving how the beale saga has dissapeard as well...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    while this is good news - it should not be hapenning in week 9 of the competition. there should be a period to announce this stuff in the june test window & at the end of the test season only.
    Might be difficult to pull off - teams, players and agents might just make use of strategic leaking instead, and good luck punishing that without risking legal action.

vCash
    I bet if the ARU tried to settle on some form of window for Super Rugby contracts RUPA would argue that it's a restraint of trade

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I bet if the ARU tried to settle on some form of window for Super Rugby contracts RUPA would argue that it's a restraint of trade
    Really? How? Coz they could no longer do the strategic leaking etc for leverage?

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    I look forward to Morahan getting some regular game time, he is a talented player but just couldn't nail down a starting spot at the Reds...
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Really? How? Coz they could no longer do the strategic leaking etc for leverage?
    Players are effectively contractors paid to do a job and are probably keen to settle on a new deal be it with their current side or another side to get some certainty I can't see the ARU telling players that they can only negotiate during certain parts of the year and if the ARU tried RUPA would probably shoot it down possibly for the reason you raised

Theoretically the ARU bring in a window for Super Rugby contracts what's to stop a player from negotiating with overseas sides whom arent governed by the rules of the ARU? The NRL got rid of its anti-tampering deadline years ago for that reason

Without professional Rugby we wouldn't have a side and unfortunately all this comes with the territory of professionalism

Am I a fan of it? Probably not but having been a contractor myself and dealt with them through work I don't blame them for looking for a new deal.

Money obviously would have helped with the Morahan deal but as TOCC has pointed out he hasn't been able to lock down a starting spot at Qld and is looking for more game time

Last edited by jargan83; 08-04-13 at 19:47. Reason: Grammar fail

vCash
    Players are effectively contractors paid to do a job and are probably keen to settle on a new deal be it with their current side or another side to get some certainty I can't see the ARU telling players that they can only negotiate during certain parts of the year and if the ARU tried RUPA would probably shoot it down possibly for the reason you raised

Theoretically the ARU bring in a window for Super Rugby contracts what's to stop a player from negotiating with overseas sides whom arent ruled by the rules of the ARU? The NRL got rid of its anti-tampering deadline years ago for that reason

Without professional Rugby we wouldn't have a side and unfortunately all this comes with the territory of professionalism

Am I a fan of it? Probably not but having been a contractor myself and dealt with them through work I don't blame them for looking for a new deal.

Money obviously would have helped with the Morahan deal but as TOCC has pointed out he hasn't been able to lock down a starting spot at Qld and is looking for more game time
    Ah ok. I understand what you're saying, except for the overseas bit of the argument - why would a limited contract window not apply if an Australian-based player negotiates with an o/seas side? Seems to work in the English Premiership where there is loads of cross-border trading

vCash
    Ah ok. I understand what you're saying, except for the overseas bit of the argument - why would a limited contract window not apply if an Australian-based player negotiates with an o/seas side? Seems to work in the English Premiership where there is loads of cross-border trading
    Given the window would be for Super Rugby contracts in Autsralia what penalty could the ARU throw at an off contract player negotiating with an overseas club outside of the window?

Cross border trading in the UK (England, Wales etc) is probably a lot easier to police

vCash
    Morahan is a class act. He has pace and all the skills. If this is true, this is a good buy

The Reds can have Stiles as well.

Dead set

Controversy corner

vCash
    Given the window would be for Super Rugby contracts in Autsralia what penalty could the ARU throw at an off contract player negotiating with an overseas club outside of the window?

Cross border trading in the UK (England, Wales etc) is probably a lot easier to police
    The key that I was missing was the "off contract" bit. I was thinking that negotiations would always happen during the last few months of a contract so that there would be continuity of income etc, in which case there would seem to be no problem with the ARU imposing a transfer window on the player and his manager. (I understand that the ARU would have no jurisdiction over an overseas club; only the Aus-based player & manager.)

vCash
    The key that I was missing was the "off contract" bit. I was thinking that negotiations would always happen during the last few months of a contract so that there would be continuity of income etc, in which case there would seem to be no problem with the ARU imposing a transfer window on the player and his manager. (I understand that the ARU would have no jurisdiction over an overseas club; only the Aus-based player & manager.)
    My main point was the ARU wouldn't have any jurisdiction over a player going overseas either

What are they going to do stop them from playing for the Wallabies

So do we give overseas sides a free hit at players off contract because that is what it will turn into just to satisfy a window late in the season

vCash
    My main point was the ARU wouldn't have any jurisdiction over a player going overseas either

What are they going to do stop them from playing for the Wallabies

So do we give overseas sides a free hit at players off contract because that is what it will turn into just to satisfy a window late in the season
    Fair point :-)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    I look forward to Morahan getting some regular game time, he is a talented player but just couldn't nail down a starting spot at the Reds...
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Very happy with this pickup TOCC - this would allow Cummins to come into 13

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kipper_mckinnon View Post
    Very happy with this pickup TOCC - this would allow Cummins to come into 13
    or Dellit to wear a suit

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast