Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: O'Connor Puts Force talks on hold

vCash

O'Connor Puts Force talks on hold

While the talks are on hold, James comments about the Force are pretty positive.

"TEENAGE Western Force sensation James O'Connor has put talks on his Super 14 future on the backburner to focus on getting a crack with the Wallabies.

The 18-year-old utility back was told by Wallabies coach Robbie Deans to forget about the under-20s World Cup because he was in the mix at either inside centre or full-back for the upcoming Tests against the Barbarians, Italy and France.

O'Connor, a spring tourist with the Wallabies last year, was preparing to fly out to play in the under-20s team, but has put his plans on hold after being one of 10 Force players selected in Deans' initial squad of 29 named on Thursday.

"He stressed that he wouldn't have involved me if he wasn't going to give me a good shot, and no matter where I play I'll be giving it my all," O'Connor said.

"We've had a few chats and I think he's happy with where I'm heading as a rugby player.

"It's always been my dream to play for the Wallabies and I'm stoked to get another chance to do that this year.

"I'm happy to play wherever as long as I can pull on a jersey, but the way I play both spots is similar as the second ball-player."

Matt Giteau, Nathan Sharpe, Drew Mitchell, Josh Valentine, David Pocock, Richard Brown and Ryan Cross, as well as uncapped duo Pek Cowan and Matt Hodgson join O'Connor in the squad from the Force, and he sees it as a credit to the franchise.

"It's exciting times and shows that the fourth franchise was deserved over here in Perth and that we've done well to have so many players in the squad," he said.

"There are 10 of us and we are pretty happy with that, so we must have done something right during the season."

There has been plenty of talk surrounding O'Connor and where his Super 14 future lies next season, but if the Force secure Stormers' No.10 Peter Grant things turn in their favour.

"Everyone has been pretty supportive and I haven't had too much pressure on me to decide here and now. I try not to think about what people are saying about it from the outside," he said.

"There's a few things that need to be rectified and we are going to need a 10, but everyone is working hard on getting that. We have a good group over here and it's a bright future."

Story from: PerthNow.com.au

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    "There's a few things that need to be rectified and we are going to need a 10, but everyone is working hard on getting that. We have a good group over here and it's a bright future."

Looks pretty good from where I'm sitting too, James.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    What more does the man want ? just bloody sign or p--- off dont keep messing us around

Champion
    vCash

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by prop53 View Post
    What more does the man want ? just bloody sign or p--- off dont keep messing us around
    I agree dont leave the RWA in the dark if u are not committed we will get someone who is and make them a Wallabie

vCash
    He's doesn't want to play 10... he wants to play with a good experienced 10... When does the Boks announce their squad? We may have to wait for Grant to see if his in or out...

On the other hand perhaps he’s a bit more partial to Freddy Michalak…

I promise JOC if you come to the Brumbies we’ll give you a real mans nickname… not “Rabbit…”
    ... something like Lighting, Buffy or Cupcake...

Putting off his decision is going to cost a fortune we'll have to put that Collins class sub on standby... Lucky we got the Australian Navy as a sponsor….

Last edited by mudskipper; 21-05-09 at 18:23.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Springboks squad announced on June 1. Hard to say if Grant will be involved as the squad's two fly-half spots are likely to be taken by Ruan Pienaar and Morne Steyn and at inside centre its unlikely he would get a look in past Jean de Villiers and Wynand Olivier. It is possible PDV won't opt for Morne Steyn as he is a bit one dimensional but on the other hand he has just brought the Bulls into the finals and PDV is under a *lot* of pressure to tear strips off of the Lions. That aside it is possible that PDV would approve of Grant joining the Force if he still plays CC rugby and still play for the Boks. I have a feeling PDV is a fan of a bit of free-trade within the S14.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    So we could end up with a 3 rd string No 10 why not we are getting shit from every where else

vCash
    If he wanted to play for the Force he would have signed by now. Go and join the other two metrosexuals if you think it'll make you play better.

If the Force want to keep him at 12 or 13 (which is where he should play) then we need to sign a 'Quality' number 10 soon.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Maybe it's more to do with firming up contracts.....learning from previous mistakes.....hey, the lawyers round here will tell you how long it takes to agree on a "." or a "T" .

Just happy to be here

vCash
    From experience the whole "I'll wait till the end of the season before making a decision" usually means "Mate my suitcase is already packed".

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    If he wanted to play for the Force he would have signed by now. Go and join the other two metrosexuals if you think it'll make you play better.

If the Force want to keep him at 12 or 13 (which is where he should play) then we need to sign a 'Quality' number 10 soon.
    I would tend to think the opposite. If he didn't want to play for the Force he would have signed elsewhere by now. He just doesn't seem to want to get screwed into playing somewhere he probably isn't ready for. Bit light for a 13 don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by prop53 View Post
    So we could end up with a 3 rd string No 10 why not we are getting shit from every where else
    Thats a bit harsh. In 14 teams you can't all have the international 10. Peter Grant is better than nothing. What would you propose Prop?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I would tend to think the opposite. If he didn't want to play for the Force he would have signed elsewhere by now. He just doesn't seem to want to get screwed into playing somewhere he probably isn't ready for. Bit light for a 13 don't you think?
    I'm with you James, JOC doesn't have to sign with anyone remember. If he doesn't sign with anyone else he plays out his extended contract with us. There is nothing for him to sign to stay with us - just to not sign with anyone else.

Plus, he's going to stay. He said he's just sorting out some thing.

If we take the whole 'sign now or bugger off' attitude to all players, it's quite simply ridiculous. We'd end up with no team. Would you, if offered 2 jobs, just decided one in seconds? I doubt it very much. You'd take time to think about the pros and cons of both situations and it's a big decision to make, for anyone. We should probably accept that the players are going to take time to decide. Saying that he should piss off because he hasn't signed with us yet is a bit harsh, seeing as he doesn't have anything to sign with us!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Bit light for a 13 don't you think?
    He'll grow but I think you've got your numbers around the wrong way. I admire the kid he seems to have a knack for finding gaps and with some decent wingers to offload to he'll do well where ever he signs for.

An Inside Centre wears the No.12 jersey and tends to be the larger of the two.
    The Outside Centre wears the No.13 jersey and is the smaller and often more agile and faster centre.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    The Outside Centre wears the No.13 jersey and is the smaller and often more agile and faster centre.
    ?? I always had it the other way round (not the numbers but the size bit)

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    He'll grow but I think you've got your numbers around the wrong way. I admire the kid he seems to have a knack for finding gaps and with some decent wingers to offload to he'll do well where ever he signs for.

I suppose it depends on you take on back play. You have a choice between outside centre like Stirling Mortlock who is big and bullish and very hard to bring down if he gathers the speed he can get further out. Or you can take the lighter framed gap exploiter a la Conrad Smith or Matt Tait. Now it is probably easier for a guy like Mortlock to take down the other two whereas Smith and Tait would have their hands full. In Australia we don't tend to play small 13s.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast