Thread: CUMMINS LOOKING TO MAKE IMPACT IN 2009

vCash

CUMMINS LOOKING TO MAKE IMPACT IN 2009

The man with the best curly mullet in world rugby, the Emirates Western Force's Nick Cummins, is looking to capitalise on a strong game last Friday to set up a big 2009 season after breaking his ankle last year.

The 21-year-old Cummins is certainly a character off the field and is proud of his flowing hair and is also known to sing a great rendition of John Williamson's 'True Blue', but on the rugby field he is also a star winger.

The late season leg injury in 2008 cut short his season at nine matches, which included six starts on the wing, and he again got a start in Friday's 16-10 win over the Cheetahs at Subiaco Oval.

"Last week, we had a bit of a shock to the system by losing and that made us all put our heads down and work hard to turn it around. We did that and were lucky enough to come away with the win," Cummins said.

"It gives us confidence even though we won't let it go to our heads. We'll make sure we still do our extras because we have a hard three weeks ahead. The Brumbies won't be easy and we'll need to play at our best to win."

Temperatures on Friday were still over 30 degrees at kick-off time and Cummins was struggling a little with the conditions, but felt settled in the side after taking a high ball early off Cheetahs winger Danwel Demas.

"In the first half I was running around a bit like a horse upstairs and it was pretty hot. By the end of the game we were all cramping up, but it was just good to get the win," he said.

"It's good to get involved early whether it's a tackle, run or a catch to get the confidence up. I've been working under the high ball a lot with the coaches at training and it's good to see it pay off in a game."

While clearly a free spirit, coach John Mitchell encourages that approach from Cummins when he takes the field and he thrives at just being allowed to run and take on the opposition.

"I've been waiting for the opportunity and when they picked me they told me to get it, have a go and do your best. That's all you can do and I think I did that out there," he said.

"He's good like that and before the game just told me that he wanted me to use my footwork, be myself and have a dig whenever I can because he's confident I can get around a bloke. It was good to hear that they have that confidence in me and I was just keen to try to do what they asked."

As for the injury that ended his 2008 campaign, Cummins made sure he did everything right to recover and is glad to have no side effects of it now.

"It was tough on the mind, but the whole thing is mental and if you get your head right the body will follow suit," he said.

"I did the right recovery, always got physio on it, iced it after every session and stayed off it as long as they asked me to. I did everything possible and luckily it has come up good."

As for the prospects of losing his flowing curly locks on the three-week tour to Canberra and New Zealand, Cummins won't be letting anything get near his hair.

"I was hoping for a Samson and Delilah type of thing to come up, but I don’t date Delilah and there's not a chance of losing my strength."
    More...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Nicko is a star.
    Great tackling, strong running, awesome in the air, crap hairstyle...can't win them all I guess.
    I would have him on a Wing as an auto selection until proven otherwise.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Cummins has a big fan in my wife...
    lolz

she says his butt cheeks are like two little ostrich eggs
    talk about objectifying someone!!

its me & you mate!!

vCash
    the committee made it hard for him to make an impression in the first game, sitting on the bench!!...

vCash
    I really think Nick is the future 11 for Aussie rugby. He's a superstar in the making. REALLY hope he has a fantastic season this year, hopefully break on to the wallabies squad (I've already decided which player can stay at home to make room for him )

Yeup Burgs, Drew and him on the wings with Cam at fullback - WOW!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyWA View Post
    The man with the best curly mullet in world rugby, the Emirates Western Force's Nick Cummins, is looking to capitalise on a strong game last Friday to set up a big 2009 season after breaking his ankle last year.
    GO THE CULLET!!!!

Totally rate Nick's work on the field and hope to see alot more of it for the rest of 2009 and beyond

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    If we can keep one of Drew Mitchell and Nick Cummins I would consider that a success. We've had a few seasons with some pretty decent backline depth at the Force and it always ends with a few guys you want to keep going somewhere else. Bit like the Tahs with Elsom and Vickerman I suppose.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    he is a fantastic player, great speed and great quality of skills. a very exciting player to watch. was awful when he broke his leg, and now this year he is going to be injury free and fabulous for the Force
    nick to a great 2009

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    If we can keep one of Drew Mitchell and Nick Cummins I would consider that a success. We've had a few seasons with some pretty decent backline depth at the Force and it always ends with a few guys you want to keep going somewhere else. Bit like the Tahs with Elsom and Vickerman I suppose.
    He is staying isnt he?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BDAVEY View Post
    He is staying isnt he?
    Both are off contract this year.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash
    Nick well done a brillant game on Friday you are improving every game. Stick with the Force

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I really like Nicks ability to remain on his feet in the tackle and off load or wait for support. The busts were also intregal to the tries being scored. Top marks Nick
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Great support runner as well, have a look at the highlights tonight, he's backing up every try. (there or thereabouts)

C'mon the