Thread: Lote Tuqiri rejects NRL return rumours as Wallabies exile extended

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Lote Tuqiri rejects NRL return rumours as Wallabies exile extended

June 28, 2009

Shunned winger Lote Tuqiri says he is committed to the Wallabies and described rumours he was contemplating walking out on rugby as "laughable".

Speculation intensified after Wallabies coach Robbie Deans extended the flyer's international exile to a third consecutive Test match.

Tuqiri (below), Australian rugby's $1.2 million man, has had to come to terms with being banished to Sydney club rugby with West Harbour.

The veteran of 67 Tests agonised over whether to return to the NRL in 2007, but insists he has no desire to seek a release from the Australian Rugby Union as he sets his sights on the 2011 World Cup.

"Believe me when I say my future remains firmly in rugby union," Tuqiri says today in his Sydney newspaper column.

"I've had journalists ringing me over the past couple of weeks asking if I'm ready to chuck in the towel and go back to league.

"It's not an option. It's laughable.

"I'm happy in rugby, I'm signed until 2011 and I'm focused on putting my best foot forward for the NSW Waratahs and the Wallabies."

Tuqiri revealed a heart-to-heart with Wayne Bennett, his former coach at the Broncos, had bolstered his confidence.

Deans has assured Tuqiri a Test reprieve is on the horizon.

"Of course it's hard missing out on Test match rugby, but kicking stones isn't going to get me back in the Wallabies side," he said.

Meanwhile, Berrick Barnes will tackle his Super 14 fate this week before the Tri Nations tournament.

Barnes is off contract with the Queensland Reds and will take time out after the Test against France in Sydney to decide his future but it is believed he is considering an offer from the Brumbies.

"I wanted to get these Tests out of the way and look at what I'm doing after that," Barnes said.

The Sunday Mail (Qld)

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Pity

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    That's shorthand for, if any of you fellas can pay me the same amount to play mungo as I'm getting to jog around here then make an offer, I'm on a bloody good wicket so I'm not going to rock the boat.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Tuqiri too big a weapon to ignore: Deans

June 28, 2009 - 3:53PM

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans agrees banished winger Lote Tuqiri is too big a weapon not to be considered for Australia's assault on the Tri Nations series.

Tuqiri was the only fit member of the Wallabies' 30-man squad not used during the four June internationals against the Barbarians, Italy and France, prompting former Test selector Tim Horan to question Deans' thinking.

Horan said Deans must find room for the 191cm, 103kg, 67-Test veteran in his 22-man match-day squad for Australia's Bledisloe Cup clashes with the All Blacks in particular this season.

Deans on Sunday said he understood where Horan was coming from.

"Size does matter. Everything matters, and without a doubt that one of Lote's assets is his presence," Deans said.

"He is strong and he does intimidate. When you're standing opposite him (on the field), I imagine it's quite a daunting sight. I haven't had that experience."

Deans, though, once again refused to guarantee Tuqiri any Test time soon.

"But he's working hard," the coach said. "You can see that in his (Sydney club) games.

"He's working hard during the week as well as in games. When you do that, you cannot help but benefit from that.

"So he's going to get better and better and I've indicated to him that he's going to get an opportunity - with the caveat that he continues to work at what he's doing.

"Obviously when that is we don't know, but he's shown that he's got a will and a want and that's always the critical thing - how players respond to the challenges that they're presented with."

Deans will announce his Tri Nations squad on Thursday.

© 2009 AAP

http://news.rugbyheaven.com.au/break...0628-d12x.html

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'll take a stab at him being selected against the Boks to give their lighter Wingers a bit of a touch up, fueled on bruised ego and required to replace an injured Mitchell from the match before...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I was watching the West Harbour game on ABC yesterday and they had noticed that Tim Sheens was in the stand watching the game. Lote to the West tigers perhaps?

vCash
    The only way to motivate an established long-term Wallaby is make him an outsider... Deans has geared up a hungry Lote for the Tri-Nations... If you need an example look at what the same player motivation did for Sharpe last year...

vCash
    Lote has a place in the squad as he brings a different dimension to the Wallabies, but I wouldn't give him a start at the moment. Deans obviously considers the best current team to include two fast wingers, but they'll be times when big wingers may be required (Lote and Mortlock?).

I never understand people saying the coach should pick the best players, anyway. It's his job to pick the best team, and people who can't tackle or keep the defensive line don't get a game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    That's shorthand for, if any of you fellas can pay me the same amount to play mungo as I'm getting to jog around here then make an offer, I'm on a bloody good wicket so I'm not going to rock the boat.
    That'll be easier now!

Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    The only way to motivate an established long-term Wallaby is make him an outsider... Deans has geared up a hungry Lote for the Tri-Nations... If you need an example look at what the same player motivation did for Sharpe last year...
    I wonder what Deans' take is on the contract thing? He's pretty good at making press statements that don't give anything away, but he's always said Lote's on the team list and he's a threat, so what is driving the sacking? Is Deansey creating a smoke screen for other teams by suggesting Lote will play and then not picking him? Is the sacking for off field stuff and not related to his crap performances? I'm not sure. Lote has value in the sport IMHO, he's just not the saviour the press make him out to be and he's spent too long displacing better players without performing. It's sure going to be an interesting weekend!

C'mon the