Thread: Drew Mitchell Press Conference

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash

Drew Mitchell Press Conference

Just seen the Drew Mitchell Press Conference on the RWA website (and Sharpies) and can't believe none of the journo's asked the obvious wing vs 15 question.

Personally, I'm all for the wing for Mitchell and 15 for Sheps, but on a slow rugby news day I thought I'd open it up for debate!

My selection would go
    9 Henjak
    10 Gits
    11 Mitchell
    12 Staniforth
    13 Cross
    14 Sare/Cummings
    15 Sheps

As for the forwards - I don't think I know enough of our new/young locks/loosies to put a list together

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF2006 View Post
    Just seen the Drew Mitchell Press Conference on the RWA website (and Sharpies) and can't believe none of the journo's asked the obvious wing vs 15 question.
    If he is at the Force Beach Volley Ball media event tomorrow I will ask him.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, I think on balance I would go with yours WF, definitely prefer Mitch on the Wing.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    same, i think he is better on the wing. too much pressure on him at fullback which explains some of his performances. He seems to be able to relax and play his game on the wing and is a good finisher.

vCash
    Definitely on the wing especially if his kicking hasn't improved. He had quite a few chaotic and wayward kicks last season and I think we need the sublime control of a Sheppy boot at 15.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    I noticed when Drew played 15 and Shep 11, Shep was dropping back to help cover any kicks. I feel that Shep is a more natural 15 and a good 11. Drew is a more natural 11 who can cover 15 in a pinch.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I doubt anyone who watched both the S14 and RWC would have any doubt where Mitchell adds the most to the team. As noted though, it is nice to have cover for fullback.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I think you have it 98% right WF - my only change is Cummings at 14. I think he is a better bet then Sare.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Mitchell aims to be a Super 14 force

Story by Sportal for the ARU
    Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 16:55 PM (AEST)

After a tremendously successful personal World Cup campaign, Drew Mitchell is hoping to continue that form for the Western Force in the 2008 Investec Super 14 season.

Mitchell came of age in the World Cup, where he scored seven tries in five matches, and is now looking at continuing that with the Force in 2008. However, he still laments the disappointment of how it ended in France.

"I've got a lot of confidence coming out of the World Cup, and if I can keep riding that and keep that consistency in the Super 14s hopefully I can keep going forward," Mitchell said.

'The result was bitterly disappointing, but we've had a few weeks now to try to forget about it and put it past us. We just need to focus on what's ahead with the Western Force. I've had a pretty good holiday and am now looking forward to getting back into it."

"A lot of guys had been working for so long with the main goal to come away and potentially be world champions. For that to end a lot earlier than we thought it could have was very disappointing. It was hard to deal with and hard to take. It all happened very suddenly in those 80 minutes, and the next day we said our goodbyes and departed from there."

After suffering the disappointment of bowing out in the World Cup much earlier than anticipated, Mitchell is looking to turn that into a positive and to win with the Force, along with fellow Wallabies Nathan Sharpe, Cameron Shepherd, Matt Giteau and Scott Staniforth, who had shoulder surgery last week.

"The World Cup is the biggest campaign you can go through, and quite a few experiences you can take on board. Losing in the quarter-finals was a massive disappointment, but if we can take anything from that and use it in our game with the Force, hopefully we benefit from it," he said.

"With the World Cup result, a lot of guys want to get out there and taste some success. Nobody was happy with the result, so it will be good to get back out there to play some good quality football in the Super 14s and hopefully (get) a few wins."

Now firmly focused on a big season with the Force, in which the Perth-based club hopes to make the semi-final stage for the first time, Mitchell is confident they have the team to do it after a solid 2007 campaign.

"We just want to keep going in the same direction with the improvement from the first to second year, and hopefully make the semi-finals. Once you are in the semi-finals, it's anyone's game from there," he said.

"The biggest thing for us is that our Western Force squad hasn't changed much the last couple of years. We are a pretty young squad, but are starting to get these experiences over the past couple of years and started to win those close games. We take a lot out of last season, and come the tight situations this season hopefully we come away with a few more wins."

Mitchell didn't pick the best day to begin his pre-season with the Force - a 39-degree day in Perth - but at least it will help him work off the little bit of weight he put on while on holiday.

"It's a little hot, but that can't be bad for my skin folds. Hopefully it sweats a bit out of me. It's just good to get back amongst the guys and back into the training."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    I think you have it 98% right WF - my only change is Cummings at 14. I think he is a better bet then Sare.
    Fair call - I just haven't seen enough of Cummings to be certain - have you seen him in the East?? Sare does provide good centre coverage from the bench also I guess.