Thread: QC appointed to investigate Tuqiri axing

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

QC appointed to investigate Tuqiri axing

July 31, 2009 - 3:25PM

The Australian Rugby Union Players' Association (RUPA) has appointed a Queen's Counsel to lead an investigation into the termination of Lote Tuqiri's Wallabies contract.
    John Spender QC, a a former federal MP and government ambassador, will conduct the investigation on RUPA's behalf.
    RUPA chief executive Tony Dempsey said the inquiry would look at whether the Australian Rugby Union and the NSW Rugby Union followed proper process when it sacked 67-Test veteran Tuqiri halfway through a five-year contract.
    Tuqiri's disputed sacking is heading to the courts, with the first hearing expected to take place late next week.
    The investigation will also explore general disciplinary proceedings against players.
    "We have decided to broaden the scope of the investigation to include all forms of suspensions and fines imposed on players over the past five years by the ARU and State Unions in relation to disciplinary matters," RUPA chief executive Tony Dempsey said in a statement.
    "We want to be clear on what the process is for fines and suspensions and summary terminations for our members and be sure that any disciplinary action imposed is commensurate with the alleged breach.
    "It is important we get clarity and transparency in all matters and ensure all parties have acted in good faith."
    Dempsey said he anticipated the investigation would take some time to reach its conclusions.
    The ARU has not revealed the reasons for Tuqiri's sacking, but chief executive John O'Neill said that the winger had received a letter two years ago warning that further contract breaches would not be tolerated.
    AAP

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...977187601.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    At first I thought it was Quade Cooper.

vCash
    Me, I think he was putting money on the game. Chop chop of the contract and noone needs to tell anyone.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    Me, I think he was putting money on the game. Chop chop of the contract and noone needs to tell anyone.
    you might be on to something there Robyn........he was involved in match fixing, it explains a whole bunch of crappy playing decisions.

I wonder why the penny didn't drop three years ago!

C'mon the

vCash
    So Lote can afford to wear silk. Doesn't mean he has a great lawyer, just too much money. Which, hopefully, the ARU can recover from him in costs, so could actually be good news.