Thread: FORCE CHARGE FORWARD WITH WALLABIES

vCash

FORCE CHARGE FORWARD WITH WALLABIES

No one has been relishing the return of the Emirates Western Force Wallabies to training this week more than Forward’s Coach, Nick Stiles.

With four of Australia’s best back rowers in David Pocock, Matt Hodgson, Richard Brown and Ben McCalman plus vastly experienced lock Nathan Sharpe resuming their places in the Emirates Western Force squad, Stiles has begun implementing his game plans for the year ahead with a full squad.

“They’re all going to be a big part of what we do this season so having them back now ahead of our trial games in a few weeks allows them to get involved in the lineout and scrums initially and then what attacking structures we’re using,” Stiles said.

“They’re doing full units, so that’s good but they are modified in what they are doing at the moment in team training because they’re just coming off the break. They’re all very eager to get involved and will make sure we ease them in and have them in good condition for the season.”

A former Wallaby himself, Stiles isn’t concerned with the decisions he is facing of fitting four international back rowers into three positions.

“It is the back row of the Wallabies coming back into the team and to have that depth of Brown, Hodgo (Hodgson), Pocock and McCalman that can all play back row, it’s the depth we need,” said Stiles.

“It’s a longer season and to be able to cover for injuries here and there, and to allow for players to rest if they require it, we’re very fortunate in that sense.

“If we reflect on last year a guy like Ben was able to get an opportunity and look what he did with it. I think it does put us in a better position this year with four of them playing for the Wallabies in the back row but we’ll look at what suits us best.”

While the rest of the squad has had a two month head start in their pre-season preparation, Stiles said it has taken little time for the Wallabies to slot in and gel with team mates.

“It’s not like you’ve got Wallabies that have been recruited to the club this year from other provinces, they’ve been here, they’ve played together so much they know each other’s game very well. We’ve got a few new faces around but everyone is very professional in their preparation and I don’t see it being a problem in getting them all up to speed with each other’s game before the season,” said Stiles.

More...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 14-01-11 at 17:04.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I imagine the second tier Backrowers have just found a whole new world of pain at training!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Play all four against the Reds. We'll need mobility to rein in Cooper and Genia.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I'm sure there'll be lots of games like that James. They'll play Ben at 6 against the bulls and probably sit hodgeo on the bench to use brownie as yet another line out option, but stick Ben at 8 and sit brownie against the saders to put more pressure on the fringes and the pilfer by bringing a high work rate, quality ballplayer in late.

The only one who's assured of playing every minute he's fit will be bam!

C'mon the

vCash
    My reading of James' post (or even just my own thoughts) is to use Ben at 4 for some games, and have 4-8 as: McCalman, Sharpie, Hodgo, Pocock, Brown. Wouldn't work for all games, but when defensive mobility is required it's an option.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    My reading of James' post (or even just my own thoughts) is to use Ben at 4 for some games, and have 4-8 as: McCalman, Sharpie, Hodgo, Pocock, Brown. Wouldn't work for all games, but when defensive mobility is required it's an option.
    Yeah, no disagreement there, actually that improves the pack against the saders where 4 backrowers would help combat their mobility. Then, as I mentioned before, use the galls against the bulls (maybe even Tom hockings at 4 and Sam wykes at 6, assuming they're up to the task)

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    ...use the galls against the bulls...
    Gauls?
    With or without magic potion?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.