Thread: Fitz Files 27/6/09

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Fitz Files 27/6/09

Sorry Tatafu, I tried

Greg Growden made an interesting point on Monday about Wallabies hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau, which turned on the fact that while he is a marvellous player, he is not good at throwing the ball accurately into the lineout. In 1968, it was the coach of Eastern Suburbs, Len Martin, who first hit upon the idea of having the hooker and not the winger throw the ball. It seemed from the point of view of both attack and defence, it was better to have the winger in the field and free to run, rather than having his permed hair so close to the hot engine room where all the hard work got done. So he tried it and it was an immediate success. Other clubs followed suit, and when Easts went on an end-of-season tour of New Zealand those wretched Kiwis - as was ever their wont - picked up on our best ideas and soon had the the hooker throwing it in as well. Mr Martin turned 80 last year, and I talked to him on Thursday, he at his home on the Central Coast, in the vain hope he might give his blessing for the Wallabies to revert to the old ways. But alas …
    "No," he said flatly. "If the winger throws it in, you're down one man in the back line in both defence and attack and it won't work."
    I tried. Tatafu, you're just going to have throw it in better!

Do-it-yourself humour

TFF's item last week about the brilliance of AFL television commentator Dennis Cometti prompted a memory from Fitzphile Dave Hurst. Many years ago, he was listening to an ABC cricket broadcast, when someone rang up to ask about the derivation of the name "Dodemaide" as in Tony Dodemaide, the Victorian all-rounder. Without the slightest pause, Trevor Bailey explained: "That's and old West Indian name from the plantation days. The owner of the plantation says to his wife in regards to buying Christmas presents for the staff: 'You do da butler, and I'll do de maid'." As Hurst recalls it, co-commentator Norm O'Neill couldn't speak for five minutes and was still cracking up with laughter three or four overs later. As you would.

rest of the Fitz Files here

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well if you don't get it thrown in straight you won't be attacking or defending
    SURELY there is someone who can help him sort it out?
    To be fair, last weekend most were overthrown (ie long) rather than crooked though, so maybe he is improving...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Now that's Rugby.

Full marks to Cowboys

A depleted Wellington Cowboys under-16 rugby league team took on the Narromine Jets in Narromine last Saturday and struggled from the first whistle, soon trailing their rivals by more than 50 points. Never mind, as reported by the Wellington Times, there are some things far more important than winning football matches. Knowing that, Wellington coach Stuart Haines approached his rival coach at half-time to suggest that Narromine put on the field Jason "Harry" Suckling - a fine young man with cerebral palsy who had been with the Narromine lads for years as a sometime kicker but who had never scored a try. The Narromine coach thought it a fine idea and Suckling took the field. And wouldn't you know it? No sooner had Suckling taken his place than he ran 80 metres to score a try, through some admittedly strangely flimsy Cowboys defence, with so many of their tackles just missing the mark. Harry's confidence now soaring, he went on to kick four conversions and then, with just seconds remaining, score another runaway try! Harry was the hero of the day, with all of the Narromine crowd, including Harry's weeping mother, applauding the Wellington lads for their grace and sportsmanship. Bravo the Cowboys - you did your town proud, even if on the wrong end of an 84-10 scoreline.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Erm, hate to be pedantic Burgs. However it was actually Rugby League. But your heart is in the right place.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Can't be league Shasta, it was an example of good sportsmanship and comradeship, respect amongst brothers in battle and all that.

The league thing must've been a typo!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Can't be league Shasta, it was an example of good sportsmanship and comradeship, respect amongst brothers in battle and all that.

The league thing must've been a typo!
    Sorry GIGS, no cigar. Wanna phone a friend?

We'll understand your ignorance of CRL matters, being of "mexican" origin and all.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    League/Union who cares, awesome story, had me tearing up. Damn dusty computer room

Exile
    Port Macquarie

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place and I don’t care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now if you know what you’re worth then go out and get what you’re worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain’t you! You’re better than that!" - Rocky Balboa

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Sorry GIGS, no cigar. Wanna phone a friend?

We'll understand your ignorance of CRL matters, being of "mexican" origin and all.
    can I call the lack of a tongue in cheek smiley on that one Shasta......

I agree with Ex, having been the parent of a sick kid who was involved in sport. I confess to being a total marshmallow when these stories come about. I was a mess reading the end of it, and my subtle dig at League was more of a pisstake than anything serious.

Oh and I resent the mexican bullshit, I've been a sandgroper longer than I was ever a mexican! and when I was young, I idolised Artie Beetson.

C'mon the