Thread: Carter out of Romania clash

vCash

Carter out of Romania clash

Carter out of Romania clash

September 28, 2007

New Zealand star fly-half Dan Carter is to miss the final World Cup group match on Saturday against Romania and is also in doubt for the quarter-final in Cardiff on Saturday week because of a painful calf. (and hopefully the semis...)

The 25-year-old has been replaced by Luke McAlister while All Blacks record try scorer Doug Howlett moves onto the bench. "Carter felt tightness in his left calf following Thursday's training and, after consulting the All Blacks medical team on Friday morning, withdrew from the line-up," the All Blacks said. "His availability for the All Blacks quarter-final will be re-assessed early next week."

All Blacks coach Graham Henry claimed that the absence of Carter - who was a bit off colour last Sunday against the Scots missing several kicks - would not affect the team's tactics.

"Luke is an experienced first-five at test level. This will add to our options at the position while we take a sensible approach to Dan's calf strain," said Henry, who is bidding to guide the All Blacks to their first Webb Ellis trophy since the inaugural edition in 1987.

"Our goal through the pool round is to give game time to as many of our 30-man squad as possible. Dan has played two matches already so this has a pretty minor effect on our strategy."

Nevertheless while missing the Romania match should be of little import, the All Blacks would feel the absence of Carter in their quarter-final where they could well meet hosts France.

Henry opted not to move his other possibility at fly-half Nick Evans from fullback, where he is filling in for injured duo Mils Muliaina and Leon MacDonald.

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Can you hear it?
    It's just a faint rustle in the trees...
    I hear a choke coming on the wind

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Crap..thanks Jehna..quickly to reshuffle my fantasy team.

vCash
    Pain in his calf? I'd have thought Carter would've brought his pet lamb around, not his calf!!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    maybe its Burgs calf?

vCash
    Lol Jedi & Gerry. But I don't think Daisy left anything behind after her rampage

From what they said on the sports report tonight the Kiwi's don't seem too concerned about Carter's injury..well the team at least. Some of the headlines coming out of NZ like "Nightmare for the AB's" and "NZ in jeopardy" i think the fans are more concerned than anyone. I personally don't think they really need him for this match. Their quarters is more important, but even so I would think McAlistar could slip in reasonably easily...it wouldn't be til they face us I'd think it was a problem. But if we're down Bernie then it seems a bit tit-for-tat.

I reckon we've got more concerns than they do but I'd like to think it would affect the AB's mental game at the very least if they lose him.

Still no word on how serious it is though...

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "The wind whispers her name..."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Some arguement in kiwi circles regarding Carter and his loss of form recently. There's a fair amount of concern regarding our inner backs to be honest ... not another four years At least it'll give George something to say post match.

A couple of ABs likely to come back from injury in time for the quarters. Notable Robinson is back this weekend, which is either a good or bad thing depending on which side of the Bombay hills you were born in.

Personally think Conrad will shine Hugely underrated imho.

vCash
    The mental game is where it's at for kiwi rugby every world cup, how many tournaments in a row have they entered as red=hot, Jonah Lomu having favourites only to fall short.

Don't think that the team are comfortable with this Jenha they are currently making desperate contingency plans to cover Dan for the rest of the tournament. they will not handle the loss of Dan Carter as well as Australia handle the loss of a Steve Larkham.It's got nothing to do with the quality of the back up, or the players surrounding them. Mentally, Australians seem to thrive on adversity, having won two world cups in similar circumstances.

Soft

They're soft!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jethro
    Some arguement in kiwi circles regarding Carter and his loss of form recently. There's a fair amount of concern regarding our inner backs to be honest ... not another four years At least it'll give George something to say post match.
    Concern about you inner backs? What's with the negativity Jethro?

We've got a Wallaby legend layed up in hospital having knee surgery and being replaced by the baby of the squad, who's also now out due to injury.

But we're staying positive.

I think you kiwis need to HTFU

vCash
    What I said

[Choking Sound][/Choking Sound]

C'mon the