Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Force admits Sharpe top-up

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force admits Sharpe top-up

Force admits Sharpe top-up

Wayne Smith, August 18, 2007

WESTERN FORCE chief Peter O'Meara admitted last night he had directly paid Nathan Sharpe from team funds to make up a shortfall in what the former Wallabies captain had been promised from corporate sources.

But in an exclusive interview with The Weekend Australian, O'Meara denied he had ever made any similar payments to three other senior players named in media reports, Brendan Cannon, Scott Staniforth and Chris O'Young. However, the Force boss did concede he had made a $300,000 allowance in his budget to cover that contingency if the players' corporate benefactors reneged on deals.

The startling revelations come in the wake of yesterday's decision by the Australian Rugby Union to have chairman Peter McGrath and chief executive John O'Neill meet their WA Rugby counterparts Geoff Stooke and O'Meara to discuss the Force's controversial contractual arrangements.

"Subject to the outcome of that meeting, the ARU will consider referring the matter to an independent judicial committee," O'Neill said last night.

O'Meara's admissions to The Weekend Australian, following on an investigation by The Sydney Morning Herald, are certain to rock Australia's newest Super 14 club to its foundations. But the Force boss defiantly insisted that in the absence of any leadership or assistance from the ARU at the time the fledgling club was attempting to establish itself, his organisation had no alternative but to sidestep standard contracting conventions.

"When you don't get the leadership that you need from an organisation, then you're forced into a situation where you have to be innovative and creative about how you actually differentiate a proposition to attract footballers."

The Force has always maintained, in the face of ferocious attacks from the other Super 14 teams, the Queensland Reds in particular, that if the players' managers independently obtained third-party agreements for their clients in addition to the standard contracts all clubs were allowed to offer, then it was doing nothing wrong.

Whether Sharpe's corporate deal was legitimately organised will be for McGrath and O'Neill to establish, but clearly when the promised money was not forthcoming, the Force stepped in and paid the shortfall.

"The (corporate) relationship with Sharpie took more than the first year to embed," O'Meara explained. "There is no need for any provision in our accounts in 2007 but in the first year we took a provision and in year one Nathan was paid by Rugby WA until the corporate relationship was embedded.

"That's why the provision was made, but that is no longer the case.

"All I did was ... we made some commitments and being a good accountant, I made appropriate provision in our accounts to make sure that those undertakings that we made - and they weren't contractual undertakings but we had a moral obligation to make sure that what we said we'd do for those players we did."

O'Meara denied suggestions that the $300,000 provision was deliberately buried in the Force's financial report. "No, it was in our accounts, transparent to anyone who wanted to look at them," he said. "It was not buried but in the player development area of our budget.

"The $300,000 was a provision that we took that basically covered four or five players. It was a provision that we said we better put in place in case they do (need to be paid in the event of their corporate sponsors not meeting their obligations). It was there but we didn't need to call on that."

The Force boss claimed that the ARU gave the new franchise no concessions or special funding assistance to establish itself, despite the fact that it faced massive additional costs that the three established clubs, the Reds, NSW Waratahs and ACT Brumbies, did not have to meet - namely relocating about 40 players and staff to Perth.

"Before any protocols were actually documented in 2006, there were players in Australia receiving commercial payments benefits that were underwritten by clubs and some clubs, in the case of Queensland, were paying players directly out of the operating costs of their business," O'Meara claimed.

"So there were no rules, just these conventions. It (the Force's contractual approach) might have got up people's noses but what was illegal about it?

"If we're going to talk about what transpired pre-contractual regulations, are we happy to accept that Queensland can do it with Wallaby-standard players but the Western Force can't?

"Is it one approach for us and another approach for other teams?"

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Maybe Gerard should look at getting a job with the Australian?

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    This is not going to look good for the Force after all the upfront denials outright, and now a seemingly straightforward backflip....Not good at all...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Uh-oh! At least (well allegedly) its only one player involved and for the 2006 season i suppose.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    The way I read it, it's basically an insurance policy for the players. Unfortunately Sharpie needed to access that policy because an outside sponsor failed to meet their commitment.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    My lawsuit sense is tingling...

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Look they can never take the Force from us - but they can ask O'Meara and/or Stooke to resign on the back of the stuff that has happened. O'Meara has basically said he has driven it all. Win lose situation for us, but it's a different ball game starting and running a club!

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    I don't get this one at all - according to the Australian - NSW had to top up or reimburse players for failed sponsorship deals etc.. in 2006 as well - which was not outside ARU guidelines in 2006 - it was an ok thing to do then.

Are we witnessing a slagging O'Meara of for
    a: Having the business acumen to have a fund available to do this
    b: Having set up the Force and create a successful player /coaching staff outside the readership area of the SMH - like are they looking for a franchise

what is all of this about ?

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think the Australian is presenting a case FOR the Force and O'Meara and the reasons why a payment may have been required.
    This is in stark contrast to the muck raking mud pie throwing style that certain individuals have taken on behalf of their slighted employer.
    The Australian tends to take that "unusual" stance of innocent until proven guilty where others tend to be a little more "French" in their style.
    This admission and the fact he has flagged exactly where and why the money was there should only help O'Meara's case when they head over to the kangaroo court.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash

force mess

Burgs,
    The Aust journo is a mate of Force CEO and trying to help him here. But Force management have told too many fibs to the ARU and other investigators. Read some more and you'll see this.

Bottom line is this - an investigation will follow, Force will cop of fine of up to $500,000 (see previous articles) and jobs will be lost.

Biggest pain in the arse, is that players and sponsors will be peeved and leave.

Dont you think we need a board and management that are honest and transparent? They're stuffing OUR team up.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Force1
    Burgs,
    The Aust journo is a mate of Force CEO and trying to help him here. But Force management have told too many fibs to the ARU and other investigators. Read some more and you'll see this.

Bottom line is this - an investigation will follow, Force will cop of fine of up to $500,000 (see previous articles) and jobs will be lost.

Biggest pain in the arse, is that players and sponsors will be peeved and leave.

Dont you think we need a board and management that are honest and transparent? They're stuffing OUR team up.....
    Ok seriously where do you get this stuff from? Are you basing your opinion on the information you gain from the media? Or are you just a mind reader because you seem to be boasting an incredible amount of knowledge about what the journalists are 'really' saying, what the ARU are 'really' thinking and best of all, how the players and the sponsors feel about the situation. Not to mention you seem to be making claims of possessing skills in the art of divination. Please, tell me your secret...i'd really love to know if we're going to win the rugby world cup this year so i can place a bet and score some money...perhaps you could give me some hints?

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna
    Ok seriously where do you get this stuff from? Are you basing your opinion on the information you gain from the media? Or are you just a mind reader because you seem to be boasting an incredible amount of knowledge about what the journalists are 'really' saying, what the ARU are 'really' thinking and best of all, how the players and the sponsors feel about the situation. Not to mention you seem to be making claims of possessing skills in the art of divination. Please, tell me your secret...i'd really love to know if we're going to win the rugby world cup this year so i can place a bet and score some money...perhaps you could give me some hints?
    Jehna your the man.
    I don't know about the other stuff F1 was talking about. Hi Force1 pleased to meet you! But it seems to me there is something going on in Australian Rugby and a scape goat is going to have to be found!

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash

breaking the rules

J and No.8,

Guys, I want the Force to win as much as you do, but I know the rules, and so do others, and we know that Force management has stuffed up badly.

Protocols and rules exist and Force management have broken these. And what makes it worse is that they've denied things for months and now come clean... Doesnt look good does it? A bit like a criminal in court that gets outwitted and does a plea bargain to save their arse from further embarressment.

Read the SMH and you'll get the truth. The ARU are going to come down hard on the Force.

Will you still think Force management are a great bunch if we lose players, sponsors and end in a financial mess? Take the rose coloured glasses off and see the sense.

There's more to come, so stay tuned. And as Force members we should be asking Stooke and O'Meara what the hell are they doing? Or do you prefer to sit back and let things happen?

Guys, read the news with a pinch of salt and join the dots.... even you should be able to work it out, Jen......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Force1
    Read the SMH and you'll get the truth.
    Frankly I've not heard anything more ridiculous than the above statement in a long time!!!

Getting back to the issue at hand......

My understanding is that the ARU regulations changed before the 2006 season. Prior to that point, teams were allowed to top-up player packages and it's been going on in the Eastern States for a while. However, it seems that this all changed in 2006 and it looks like the Force got caught out by not adhering to the new regulations. As our esteemed legal consultant Fulvio will no doubt confirm, "ignorance is no excuse". I'm sure that JO'N will get to the bottom of it all and if a breach has been made then the appropriate penalty will be handed out.

However, what really gets my goat is the sensationalist (actually, I prefer the term "gutter") journalism coming out of the Eastern States....painting anyone East of Adelaide as whiter than white & all of us West of Adelaide being sharks & shysters!!!! More fool anyone who believes the tripe that comes out of the SMH stable.

Whatever the outcome of the ARU inquiry, certain members of the rugby community in the Eastern States will be loving the fact that they have probably cost PO'M any chance of getting the top job in the ARU once JO'N finishes his current tenure. PO'M was shafted when GF left and I'm sure the Old Boys Network is alive & well in the Eastern Suburbs!!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Hey Force1, you are either Gerard Ryle or one of his bum boys. The crap you are sprouting is straight out of SMH. Go and spread your crap on the East Coast. An unofficial Force Supporters site is the wrong place to be pushing your barrow.
    As a "Force Supporter"(??) I find it strange that the only thing that has interested you in your first 24 hours as a member of TWF is bagging the Western Force and their management team.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast