Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Barnes groomed as Giteau understudy

vCash

Barnes groomed as Giteau understudy

Barnes groomed as Giteau understudy

By Darren Walton

November 04, 2008

AUSTRALIA coach Robbie Deans is leaning towards starting Berrick Barnes at five-eighth for the Test against Italy as he looks to establish a long-term understudy to playmaker Matt Giteau.

The exciting 22-year-old has done well for Deans at inside centre but hasn't started a Test since Australia's breakthrough win over South Africa in Durban in August, when he was replaced with a shoulder injury after just 20 minutes.

But he displayed some nice touches when he made his comeback off the bench during the second half of the Wallabies' 19-14 loss to the All Blacks in Hong Kong.

With Giteau in doubt for the Italy Test with his own shoulder complaint, Deans believes it may be a good chance to give Barnes some valuable game time in the chief playmaker's role.

Without confirming Barnes would be thrust into the flyhalf hot seat, Deans described the Wallabies' predicament as "an opportunity for us to obviously cater for potential challenges that we haven't encountered yet".

Barnes groomed as Giteau understudy - Rugby - Fox Sports

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    No surprises there really though I would have thought he'd be interested in establishing a Barnes/Gits combo at 12 and 10. Certainly I'm not convinced he should be shunted to understudy just yet as he's a talent in his own right...

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Barnes is a better #10 than #12 though, I'd like to see them swap for a match as I also feel Gits is a better #12 than #10.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Interesting from two aspects:

1) Besides Barnes there is no one really to fill in for Giteau if he gets injured, we seem to have a very serious lack of depth here.

and

2) Ryan Cross is putting up his hand every week for selection and not putting a foot wrong, making it hard to keep him out.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think Mortlock would be seeing a lot more bench time if he didn't have the c next to his name Tazz.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    I think Mortlock would be seeing a lot more bench time if he didn't have the c next to his name Tazz.
    Totally agree.

vCash
    true that burgs, id like to see
    Barnes, Gits, Cross with Drew and lockie on wings
    ACC out back

vCash
    I thought Mortlock played pretty well on the weekend, him and cross were both very physical, mind u i was a bit gutted when they dragged crossy so early!! what i want to see is JOC get some game time on this tour, i watched some of the force European tour dvds and he plays very well at fullback against leicester

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Personally I just don't think Mortlock has the passing game for #12 and while big, he doesn't bring the raw explosive power to compensate like a Staniforth.
    He is one of the worlds best #13's, I don't think at this stage of his career they should be tinkering with it.
    Experiments with him are to the detriment of developing genuine prospects.
    Recalling his rep season last year, if any #13 (oops) should be having a shot to stay selected then maybe it should be Crossy, he had some great matches "out of position".

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I thought Deans played Mortlock at 12 to halt the Donald - Carter combo because Barnes was not match fit. Ryan Cross just keeps getting better...

vCash
    I don't think Barnes is suited to be an understudy. He should be the boy out there in the 10 position for Pete's sake, not the guy waiting around for it! He had a fantastic world cup, considering how young he was and being rushed in the night before, and Git's has more time to work with the ball and create play at 12. Which we need him to do! More creativity in our backline! Why don't the ARU see this? Are they blind or do I imagine things...?

Mortlock may be one of the best 13's around, but at the moment our man Ryan is up there too. And I'm not pleased that he and Barnes are missing good game time because of that damned little 'C'

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    I actually like Gits at 10. I was pushing for that back in 2004. I don't think he's fulfilled his potential there yet but as he continues to grow in physical skill and mental I think he'll begin to enjoy the position a lot more. We know he has the talent to play 12 and in a lot of ways this position complement his ball skills more than 10. But we needs someone who can make the tough calls and understand the strategy and play in 10 and I think Gits is better at that than Barnes. Hence why i don't think it is a bad thing to have Gits at 10 and Barnes at 12.

I don't know...just more thoughts...i just think we need to look beyond putting the best player in each position and start looking at the team more wholistically in terms of player combos and who complements who..

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    I think it should be Barnes at 10 and Giteau at 12, not taking anything away from Giteaus performances at 5/8, he has being fantastic, but i think they would work better switched around.

Giteau has a better running/attacking game which is underutilised at 5/8 due to the less space to operate in.
    Barnes is more suited to the kicking/passing game which realistically would mean he is better at 5/8 then inside centre.

Last edited by TOCC; 04-11-08 at 20:14.

Rookie
    vCash
    Barnes is a quality player, but I think he tends to kick possession away too much.I don't think he's as good as Gits with the ball in hand and with him at 10 the backs would see less ball, which would stifle Gits' creativity. I guess he's just a different style of 10 that may not complement our current backline as well as Gits.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    I think it should be Barnes at 10 and Giteau at 12, not taking anything away from Giteaus performances at 5/8, he has being fantastic, but i think they would work better switched around.

Giteau has a better running/attacking game which is underutilised at 5/8 due to the less space to operate in.
    Barnes is more suited to the kicking/passing game which realistically would mean he is better at 5/8 and inside centre.
    Yeah I agree. I reckon Giteau sometimes tries too hard to make stuff happen when we get behind on the scoreboard. I'm more of a fan of the distributive 10 which I think is Barnes' style. Saying that he does need to ease into it because last time he played 10 in the RWC there were a few painful decisions he made.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast