Thread: Baxter - don't write me off yet

vCash

Exclamation Baxter - don't write me off yet

MAKE no mistake. Al Baxter isn't ready to hang up his boots just yet. If anything, returning to club rugby today has reminded the exiled Wallabies prop of the reason why he picked up those boots in the first place.

"You forget sometimes but it really brings back home why you are playing at a professional level - because rugby is a great game and a ton of fun to play," he said.

Life has been anything but fun for Baxter recently.

After rebuilding his career in recent seasons to become a respected Test prop, a troublesome winter has seen the 32-year-old swiftly tumble out of the Wallabies team, and this week, off the bench as well.

The problems began when Baxter was penalised repeatedly in Australia's opening Tri-Nations clash in Auckland in July for collapsing scrums.

Things improved in South Africa but Robbie Deans' suspicion of referees being determined to unfairly scrutinise Baxter were confirmed in Sydney when he was penalised early. With the writing on the wall, Baxter was replaced after just 30 minutes.

Ben Alexander took over at tighthead and, this week, Pek Cowan's mobility off the bench saw Baxter dropped altogether.

It's been a painful fall from grace. But wearing the red and black of Norths against West Harbour today, Baxter has been challenged to show Deans he has the desire to make it back. To show he still wants it.

So the burning question is ... does he?

"Absolutely, I have a huge amount of ambition left," Baxter said. "I am busting to keep going.

"They (Wallabies coaches) want me to get game time and have a run around. I know what I need to do, so I just want to get out there and do it."

Having recently re-signed on until 2011, Baxter doesn't want his Test absence to be long-term.

So this week he went back and consulted with NSW and former Wallabies pack mentor Michael Foley - the man who is credited with fixing the Aussie scrum in recent years.

"I called up Foles. He does scrummaging with all the NSW guys each week," Baxter said. "It was just revisiting a few things and going over some simple stuff."

As to the question of whether his heart was still in the game, the affable prop got his answer soon after lobbing at Norths training.

"You can forget why you started playing and at club level it is really enjoyable," Baxter said.

"It's a ton of fun and sometimes when you haven't been getting much game time and are just training all the time, you lose sight of that a bit."

A dominant individual performance at North Sydney Oval will go a long way to reclaiming his gold No. 3, but ask Baxter what he wants from today's game and you get the sort of response you suspect Deans would approve of.

"A win for Norths."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225769635456

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    How about now?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I'd be writing him off now thats for sure
    Posted via Mobile Device

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    I reckon he wil be written off when the likes of Pek packs down at tighthead and performs well, until then there isnt enough depth in Australia.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    i just admire he's still keen to compete for a spot... good for him...

vCash
    Don't recall the likes of John Smith or Du Plessis being popped when Trestle was anchoring the scrum. I'd say it's over barring injury.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Add in Fairbrother, a refreshed Dunning and Sekope Kepu, it's time to go Al.
    Shepherdson and Henderson are still young enough to rebound and some decent young blood in Dan Palmer in Sydney and Daley and Weekes shaping up in Redland.
    Australia is going ok in the Prop stocks for coming years.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Add in Fairbrother, a refreshed Dunning and Sekope Kepu, it's time to go Al.
    Shepherdson and Henderson are still young enough to rebound and some decent young blood in Dan Palmer in Sydney and Daley and Weekes shaping up in Redland.
    Australia is going ok in the Prop stocks for coming years.
    and Jerry Yanuyanutawa at the Brumbies, currently playing in the UNI shute shield...

vCash
    AJ Whalley

GRAB YOUR MATE!

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    I still love ya big Al...

I like the Bens and Pek in the Wallabies line-up atm but we need at least 5 good ones in the squad. Al is still a good international prop

Incidentally Dunning is going to have to have a cracker of a Super 14 season in 2010 to get another go in wallabies colours...

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    unless he's done damage to his neck in Saturday's game.

C'mon the

vCash
    If Dunning can move to hooker for the Force, he may have a chance at the Wallabies #2 or #16 jumpers. Neither Moore nor Polota-Nau have impressed consistently.

Veteran
    vCash
    Nah, i wouldn't want dunning to be hooker. I want him to play like ben castle. Anchor the scrum, Play in support roles and not take any drop goals. Just think about how often you saw castle run the ball. If dunning can be like him, i think he'd be great in our front row.

vCash
    I thought we had Pek and Fairbrother to anchor the scrum. The new slim-line Dunning would be a versatile forward: hooking, taking the throw-ins, forraging at breakdowns, cropping up at first receiver to take drop-goals, etc.