Thread: Horne back for 'Tahs

vCash

Horne back for 'Tahs

Horne back for 'Tahs
    By Darren Walton Horne back for 'Tahs | The Daily Telegraph

May 22, 2008 12:00am

ROOKIE centre Rob Horne has been recalled to the NSW Waratahs starting line-up for Saturday night's Super 14 rugby semi-final against the Sharks at the Sydney Football Stadium.

Horne replaces Matt Carraro at outside centre after NSW coach Ewen McKenzie benched the teenager last week to freshen him up for the sudden-death playoffs.

"This end of season is about managing the squad we've been working with for the entire campaign,'' McKenzie said before training today. Horne's inclusion means star league recruit Timana Tahu will again start from the bench.

In the only other change from the NSW team which downed Queensland last week to clinch an all-important home semi-final, Adam Freier replaces injured hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau (hand), with Al Manning the new reserve rake.

NSW captain Phil Waugh will join an elite club when he becomes only the fourth play to make 100 appearances for the Waratahs.

The dynamic flanker debuted in 1999, made his maiden Super rugby appearance in 2000 and, after missing most of 2007 with an ankle injury, will play his 100th against the Sharks.

The 28-year-old Waugh joins former captains and teammates Matt Burke and Chris Whitaker and fellow back-rower David Lyons, who brought up his century earlier this season, in reaching the 100-game milestone for the Waratahs.

Putting the team ahead of personal glory, Waugh reveals in Saturday's match program that the onus is on him and the other senior players in the side to lead the Waratahs to the title match on Saturday week against either the Crusaders or Hurricanes.

"The most important thing is for those experienced guys to play well and lead everyone else,'' Waugh said. "I think it makes it a lot easier for the less experienced guys to play when the older heads are showing the way and performing themselves.

"I think it's also about having the confidence to play how we've been playing all year and take risks when they're worth taking and knowing the team is behind you.''

NSW Waratahs: Sam Norton-Knight, Lachie Turner, Rob Horne, Tom Carter, Lote Tuqiri, Kurtley Beale, Luke Burgess, Wycliff Palu, Phil Waugh (capt), Rocky Elsom, Dan Vickerman, Dean Mumm, Al Baxter, Adam Freier, Benn Robinson. Res: Al Manning, Matt Dunning, Will Caldwell, David Lyons, Brett Sheehan, Matt Carraro, Timana Tahu.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    welcome back Horney, link should never have stuffed with the backline so close to the finals.

vCash
    ROB HORNY, HORNY HORNY HORNY! ROB HORNY, HORNY HORNY HORNY!

We will still lose though. But honourably.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Nice try Chook..

vCash
    I really don't think they will win. Sharks have too much hunger from last years final. They will want it more and deal with the pressure better. I see it as a close match up until the final quarter or so and then the Sharks will kick away.

Sucks to be us but a solid effort by the boys this year. Not super flash, not super flucked. But ok.

6 out of 10.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook View Post
    ROB HORNY, HORNY HORNY HORNY! ROB HORNY, HORNY HORNY HORNY!
    Thanks Chook, that post finally managed to get "The Locomotion" out of my head... of course I'm not sure the alternative is much of an improvement....

vCash
    When you sing it out at the rugby, after a few refreshing beverages, its often difficult to substitute the 'ROB' bit in for the "I'M" bit. Which is funny cos its often true.

Gigsa made me do it

vCash
    thats a good change

carraro had little impact against the reds

sharks by 6 pts

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Glad the Tahs got their Horne back.
    Now they just need to work the Ball twins.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.