Thread: Cheetahs target two on tour

vCash

Cheetahs target two on tour

Cheetahs target two on tour

Johannesburg - The Cheetahs leave for their five-match Australasian tour on the back of the 34-28 defeat against the Lions on Friday night, but remain upbeat about their chances and have set themselves at least two overseas wins as a goal.

Coach Naka Drotske feels two wins overseas will place them in a handy position when they return with six home matches plus the clash in Pretoria against the Bulls as their only away match.

Friday night's defeat against the Lions rankles, Drotske admitted on Friday night.

While the diplomatic and wise reply is that every match is the only one a team focuses on, the Cheetahs will have targeted last year's wooden spoon winners as an away win.

But the Cheetahs conceded three tries (21 points) while their two players were in the sin bin, and their forwards seemed in a trance for the first 60 minutes while the Lions dominated proceedings.

However, captain and Friday night's Man of the Match Juan Smith is confident they can turn things around overseas. Last year they came very close against the Chiefs, Waratahs and Brumbies - and that, feels Smith, is enough to motivate them to success.

"It's important for us to win there," he said. "We know what to do." Smith emphasised they have not targeted any particular sides on the tour to achieve a first-ever Cheetahs win. They'll take the matches one by one, he said.

Breaking their duck in Australasia won't be easy, however. The Cheetahs play their first match in Perth on Friday night when they face the Force, followed by the Reds the following weekend. In New Zealand the Hurricanes, Blues and Highlanders lie in wait.
    They'll have a week's break after their return. Then the Cheetahs play the Brumbies, Sharks, Chiefs, Crusaders, Waratahs, Bulls and Stormers on the trot - all at home except for the Bulls.

To make the semi-finals, they will need at least eight wins. That means if they achieve their goal of two overseas wins, they'll have to win six from the seven they play in South Africa on their return.

Yes, the Lions defeat could hurt them.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Bet you after Saturday that they'd be considering the Force as one of their best chances of winning away. This is the challenge we now face, teams coming over this end confident and eyeing a win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Bet you after Saturday that they'd be considering the Force as one of their best chances of winning away. This is the challenge we now face, teams coming over this end confident and eyeing a win.
    Well if the Force lose to the Cheetahs definitely... however I think the Force will send a positive message to others teams by a win against the Cheetahs…

The Lions vs Cheetahs match was 2 weak teams putting a lot of points on the board against each other… Gits will find holes everywhere for Crossy and Mitchell and AJ… Need to ditch Sare the winger without wings and give another kid a run…

Mudskipper prediction: AJ gets his second try for the Season and this time doesn’t need Crossy to force it down…

vCash
    if Crossy plays

I read somewhere he may have injured his shoulder
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Watching the game on Friday night, I saw Gits' having a problem with his shoulder. I'm downloading the game at the moment but pretty sure (haven't read any reports in the media yet) I saw him reach out for a tackle and pull up tender, not sure how serious though he stayed on the field. Any word on that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    if Crossy plays

Posted via Mobile Device
    Nope, they cleared him of the suspeced fracture

http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=2...ighlight=cross

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    if Crossy plays

Posted via Mobile Device
    Whats wrong with Crossy?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    Nope, they cleared him of the suspeced fracture

http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=2...ighlight=cross
    I read he was cleared of a fracture, is he expected to play this week??
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Setting a goal of losing 3 from 5 is the other way of looking at things. There's times when coaches need to be realistic, I suppose. But isn't being positive more productive? No wonder they are serial cellar dwellers.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Watching the game on Friday night, I saw Gits' having a problem with his shoulder. I'm downloading the game at the moment but pretty sure (haven't read any reports in the media yet) I saw him reach out for a tackle and pull up tender, not sure how serious though he stayed on the field. Any word on that?

He will feign injury this week to prevent training but be miraculously available for pay day.
    Gits is a malingerer

How about some running rugby from the attack coach?