Holmes feels right at home at scrumhalf
BY PETER FITZGERALD
31/01/2009 10:43:00 AM

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...px?storypage=0

Josh Holmes all-but guaranteed himself the ACT Brumbies' No9 jersey for the coming Super 14 season with a dominant display in a trial match last night.
The Brumbies defeated the Wellington Hurricanes 28-14 at Canberra Stadium in their first hit-out of the year, but it wasn't the result new coach Andy Friend was interested in.

Instead, he wanted to start locking in players for his round one team to play the Otago Highlanders in 13 days. Scrumhalf was one of the key positions he needed to get a better gauge on as to which way he would sway when the Super 14 begins.

The coach afforded Holmes the first 40 minutes of last night's match to impress, while fellow scrumhalf contenders Patrick Phibbs and James Stannard had 20 minutes each in the second half.

Friend has long been a fan of Holmes', dating back to 2004 when the coach spent a couple of months at the NSW Waratahs and first spotted him as a teenager. Friend denied in the lead-up to last night's game that the fact he gave Holmes twice as much game time as his rivals was an indication he was favouring him for the round one starting role.

Whether that was the case or not, it seems only injury would prevent Holmes from owning the No9 jersey against the Highlanders in Dunedin. The 22-year-old's running game, speed and execution of delivery ensured the Brumbies had ample attacking opportunities.

Holmes stumbled off at half-time, copping a head knock in one of the last plays of the first 40 minutes.But he was fine by the end of the game, confident the hit would have no bearing on his availability for the Highlanders match.

''I just ran into a shoulder and was seeing a few stars for a little bit but I'm fine, sweet as,'' Holmes said.

''I was really happy with that first hit-out. I may have been sloppy in a few areas of my game. but overall I thought I went well and was pretty satisfied.

''Christian [Lealiifano] gave me plenty of chatter which made it easier for me. But I was confident coming into the game that I was ready to go and I hope that came across in my performance.''

But there were still plenty of other headaches left for Friend to dissect after the game. The Brumbies' four props vying for the two starting positions in round one all impressed. The scrum competed solidly against the Hurricanes, who are one of the favourites to win the title.

One of the most impressive aspects of the home team's performance was their ability to get numbers to the breakdown.

It was an area Friend had promised improved results in and if last night's display was any guide, the coach's persistence seems as though it will pay immediate dividends.

Even the lineout was impressive, the Brumbies not only winning their own but stealing two of the Hurricanes' as well.

The backline jigsaw, too, remained unsolved.

Last night's game marked Clyde Rathbone's return to provincial rugby for the first time in 22 months.

The 27-year-old played 20 minutes on the wing and brought the crowd to its feet when making a line break and almost scoring.

Rathbone will be given another chance to impress next week when the Brumbies play the NSW Waratahs in their second trial match.

Senior Wallabies Stirling Mortlock, George Smith, Adam Ashley-Cooper and Stephen Moore will all return for that clash, the team's last before Friend has to finalise his starting XV for the Super 14.

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll l llllllllllllllllllAT A GLANCEACT BRUMBIES 28 (Josh Holmes, Ben Alexander, Patrick Phibbs, Afusipa Taumoepeau tries; Matt Toomua 3, Mark Gerrard, conv) beat WELLINGTON HURRICANES 14 (Cory Jane, Zac Guildford tries; Daniel Kirkpatrick 2 conv) at Canberra Stadium. Referee: Ian Smith.

THURSDAY

ACT Brumbies v NSW Waratahs at the Sydney Football Stadium.