Thread: Injury-prone Pelesasa recovered and ready for opening clash

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Injury-prone Pelesasa recovered and ready for opening clash

Injury-prone Pelesasa recovered and ready for opening clash

Article from: PerthNow

Nick Taylor, rugby writer
    February 07, 2009 06:30pm

TOUGH Western Force centre Junior Pelesasa has an injury list that would have a lesser player wondering whether rugby was worth it.
    Somehow he got back from a shoulder reconstruction to make the opening round of the Force debut season - only to break his ankle in the next game in New Plymouth against the Hurricanes.

He had medical staff scratching their heads when he made it back for the last three games of the season in South Africa, giving the pass to Scott Staniforth that sealed the club's historic first Super 14 win, 16-14 over the Cheetahs.

He missed the first game of 2007 but played in all others, producing some of his best rugby and making the Australia A side.

But disaster struck in the semi-final of the ARC tournament in October when he wrecked his knee and needed a reconstruction.

He missed the 2008 Super 14 season, made his comeback via local club Wanneroo and went on the Force post-season UK tour.

On Wednesday he will be hoping to cap off another comeback by hearing coach John Mitchell name him in the starting 12 against the Blues on Friday.

The nuggety Pelesasa is a hard-hitting defender and blockbusting runner.

Off the field the 28-year-old is a modest, almost shy man, but with a positive attitude to life.

"My goal after the UK tour was to get a spot in the 22 (match squad) and go from there,'' he said.

"That tour was massive for me. I got some game time under my belt, I got some confidence back and things have rolled on from that. I'm just happy to be back playing again and hope I can help the team out.

"Injuries are a part of the game, but I could have done it running around the park," he said.

Pelesasa, who is on the final year of his contract with the Force, is not looking any further than this season just yet.

"There's plenty of competition, especially in the backs and that's a good thing," he said.

"Everyone's going pretty well and everyone's been training pretty well, but this year we've got to pull our fingers out. No excuses this year."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    good to see junior back and fully fit, this means more competition for starting places....

vCash
    Fingers crossed!

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    i hope he gets a few good games in this year. hasnt had a real chance lately. be good to see what he can do!

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Interesting that the Gits Pel combination was one of the things that we know was tested during the first 60 minutes of the Reds Trial and hopefully honed during the frist 60 mins of the match - hope Pel enjoys this year as much as he deserves it.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Come on Junior, lests have a injury-less season in 09 good luck!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    good luck junior

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

Champion
    vCash
    There will be alot of nervous boys taking the field on Friday Sheps and Jnr especially . Jnr will play well outside Gits I fee; he hasnt much of a chance of late