Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Force fullback Mitchell to announce plans for future

vCash

Force fullback Mitchell to announce plans for future

DREW Mitchell will announce where his future lies this week - but says he has still not decided where he will play next season.
    The Western Force is keen to keep its Wallaby fullback, who has had talks with the Brumbies about following close friend Matt Giteau to Canberra, with the Queensland Reds about returning home and with the NSW Waratahs.

"It's been about sitting down and having a chat with them, seeing what they have to offer, speaking with mates and players from the different teams to see where they are at in their football program," Mitchell said.

"It's a big decision and I want to get it right. This will be very much a rugby-based decision."

Mitchell, 25, was one of those who came to Perth with the offer of big bucks from failed fuel additive company Firepower.

"It was an amount that nobody would have refused," he said.

"Obviously it didn't work out,...................

Force fullback Mitchell to announce plans for future

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    from the article:

' "I want to be where I will get the best development," he said. ' <-- Thats obviously at the .

' Mitchell said extended contract negotiations were an unwanted distraction.

"It does get to you. It takes up a lot of your attention and when you have time off a lot of thought and energy goes into it," he said.

"I'm not saying you go into a game thinking about it and I'm not saying that you can blame it on missed tackles or dropped balls, but it can be a distraction in the lead-up and take your focus away. '
    ^--- uhh-ha. okay....

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Player
    vCash
    It has to be a toss up between brumbies and force,who in their right mind would go to the tahs or reds.

vCash
    I'm so nerrrvous! Please sign with the force Drew!

That's kinda a weird thing to say, you can't blame contracts on your missed tackles.

One problem - he is NOT a wallaby fullback! Stupid article...

"While he will factor in Giteau's loss to the Force and the possibility of others moving on, they would not be the deciding factors, Mitchell said."

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    is he still here?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Champion
    vCash
    last night they said (kearns and co.) that Brumbies and Tahs have pulled out of the race.

on another 'side' matter, if you look at who he hangs around off the field, its more Valentine, maybe he's waiting to see what Josh does before he decides. I think Giteau isn't part of this big fairy tale.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    last night they said (kearns and co.) that Brumbies and Tahs have pulled out of the race.

on another 'side' matter, if you look at who he hangs around off the field, its more Valentine, maybe he's waiting to see what Josh does before he decides. I think Giteau isn't part of this big fairy tale.
    Did they? Really!! That's good Drew won't go the the Reds.

Well I think Josh will stay over here seeing as he didn't get game time anywhere else, but if the other S14 teams have seen him they should want him! They are good friends, Drew and Josh actually live together (Josh told me all about it hehe). I think Josh's been fantastic this season, set up Cam's try with that beauty of a kick and played an absolute wow of a game. Think he'll be up for the wallabies this season. There could be some competition for him, but I think he'll stay. He said he wanted to play with Giteau at the Brumbies but Josh Holmes is at the Brumbies and I can't see Valentine taking his spot. Also I think Giteau might play at 12 for the Brumbies after Lealei... whathisname's performance on Friday.

Drew's gonna sta-ay

Last edited by robyn <3; 19-04-09 at 17:09. Reason: there were two joshes, too confusing!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash

Josh and Drew are very good mates. Sheps is also in the clique. There are a number of main factors for Drew's consideration and I'd say in this order:
    1. Development of his game - his sights are firmly set on a Wallabies jumper so he will play anywhere that gives him the best opportunity for it
    2. Senior players - leading on from above, he is concerned about the people he is playing with and wants to be playing with the best. Whilst Git's decision to move to the Brumbies will be a factor, Gits is not the only good player in Australian rugby and so as Drew himself has said, it will not be a major factor anymore
    3. Money - Drew does seem to believe (and he may be right in some respects) that big money = more valuable player. So getting a salary and sponsorship deal equivalent to what he feels he is worth is high on his list. However, his own opinion of his worth has been quite damaged after his last three or four games and this will have some effect on his contract negotiations. Despite his claims that contract negotiations shouldn't be used as an excuse for poor performance, it is easy to read between the lines that it has affected his game in terms of pressure and confidence.
    4. Family and Friends - His family aren't here....we know that...but he's happy to fly them over so I don't think that is a problem. As we've already said, he has struck up some great friendships here so their decisions will affect him, but I don't think it will be a major consideration. In fact, in terms of the Drew/Valo friendship I would suspect that it would have more of an influence over Valo than Drew.

On the balance of all these factors i say the Force is the most logical place for him - it's the only place where he doesn't have to fight to be on the wing or fullback (especially when Sheps is injured constantly), he has the benefit of some senior players and many current and future wallabies in the team, the offer on the table is quite generous particularly given his form right now, and he has mates here.

But...having said that, since when does logic and reason determine anything...

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Champion
    vCash
    I think we'll see Mitchell, Valentine, Brown sign on till 2011, then they will chase the big bucks in europe after the world cup in NZ.

vCash
    With the Lions tour in 2013, I don't think player retention after 2011 will be a problem for a couple of years

vCash
    On his past performance his value has declined and i think the force are better dropping him and recruiting some younger player who want to be here. i watch every game and his mind is just in it. BYE BYE DREw

vCash
    Please Drew go. Last night we again saw why we don't need you.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    ' Mitchell said extended contract negotiations were an unwanted distraction.

"It does get to you. It takes up a lot of your attention and when you have time off a lot of thought and energy goes into it," he said.

"I'm not saying you go into a game thinking about it and I'm not saying that you can blame it on missed tackles or dropped balls, but it can be a distraction in the lead-up and take your focus away. '
    FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try a real job and a young family.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash

I thought they said the Brumbies have pulled out? Tahs may still be in it but Reds perhaps or stay on with Coach John Mitchell and learn to be a forward...

Champion
    vCash
    His form's terrible but should stay

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast