Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cummins to face judiciary

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Cummins to face judiciary

Cummins to face judiciary

March 28, 2010 - 1:50PM
    Western Force winger Nick Cummins will appear before SANZAR judicial officer Campbell Thomson at the Rugby WA offices on Sunday on a dangerous tackle charge arising out of Saturday night's Super 14 game against the Bulls in Perth.
    Citing commissioner Scott Nowland decided Cummins should appear before the judiciary office for the tackle on Bulls interchange player Jacques-Louis Potgieter late in the second half of the match, won 28-15 by the Bulls.
    AAP

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ace-judiciary/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Bulls' Potgieter to face judiciary

Bulls' Potgieter to face judiciary
    AAP March 28, 2010, 9:11 am

Bulls replacement Jacques-Louis Potgieter will appear before SANZAR judicial officer Campbell Thomson at the Rugby WA offices on Sunday on a dangerous tackle charge arising out of Saturday night's Super 14 game against the Western Force in Perth.
    Citing commissioner Scott Nowland decided Potgieter should appear before the judiciary office for the tackle on Force back Nick Cummins late in the second half of the match, won 28-15 by the Bulls.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ace-judiciary/

vCash
    There was nothing in it....I am sure the judiciary will see the same....

vCash
    2 weeks.

vCash
    High tackles on JOC...Face gouge on Sharpie....etc etc etc....Nothing nothing nothing......for the Bulls to answer for..what aload of tripe!!!

What have we got to do to get a win.....Cheesh!!!!?

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Wait a second....so Potgieter and Cummins put a dangerous tackle on each other at the same time "late in the second half" or one applied a tackle then the other did it?

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    I d say he'll be gone for a week, he let go of him in mid air....
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Wait a second....so Potgieter and Cummins put a dangerous tackle on each other at the same time "late in the second half" or one applied a tackle then the other did it?
    no i think thats just TG having us on

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Nope.

Legit article. Check the link.

Maybe Cummins tackle was payback?

vCash

Cummins to appeal 2 week suspension

Cummins to appeal suspension
    Sun, 28 Mar 2010 07:56

Western Force wing Nick Cummins has been suspended for two weeks after a SANZAR Judicial hearing in Perth on Sunday, but the Force will lodge an appeal against the sanction.

Cummins was charged by SANZAR Citing Commission Scott Nowland for a dangerous tackle on Bulls replacement Jacques-Louis Potgieter in the 71st minute of Saturday's Super 14 match between the Western Force and Bulls at Member’s Equity Stadium in Perth.

Cummins was called to account after he lifted the Bulls player past the horizontal in the tackle and failed to subsequently support Potgieter by helping to break his fall as he fell back to the ground.

While the Western Force wing was penalised by referee Nathan Pearce at the time, Nowland described the offence in his charge as worthy of a red card.

"Potgieter was unable to break his fall as he was turned in the tackle, with his legs in the air and his back facing the ground. As a result of the tackle, Potgieter was placed at serious risk of injury to his spinal area," Nowland reported in his charge sheet.

The Citing Commissioner’s view was supported by SANZAR Judicial Officer Campbell Thomson who heard the case at the Rugby WA offices in Perth on Sunday.

Thomson determined that the actions of Cummins had been dangerous as a "Tipping Tackle", warranting further censure by way of suspension under regulation 10, number 4J of the disciplinary rules regarding acts of foul play.

"In this instance, Cummins lifted and dropped the Bulls player to the ground with no regard for his safety," Thomson said.

He deemed a two-week suspension sufficient penalty, in line with previous censures that have been handed down by SANZAR Judicial Officers for similar offences.

But the Force will lodge an appeal against the two-week suspension.

Force General Manager of Rugby Mitch Hardy, coach John Mitchell and Cummins attended the hearing and presented evidence, including video footage, to show there was no intent to lift and drop the opposition player.

"We strongly feel that there wasn’t any wilful intent or otherwise on the part of Nick to lift and drop the player," Hardy said following the hearing.

"We have to do what we feel is right for Nick and the team and will take it further to ensure the outcome is in line with what happened in the game and by precedents set in other SANZAR cases.

"Sanctions should be in line across all provinces and as recently as Round Two this season, Chiefs No.8 Sione Lauaki was found guilty of a tipping tackle and received two weeks. Nick has received the same sanction despite the Judicial Officer hearing our case today admitting the Lauaki tackle was more severe.

"We look forward to presenting our case to the Appeals' Board in the coming week," Hardy said.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    The IRB/SANZAR citing and suspension rules are a joke. Everyone gets a different amount of tiime for what are generally the same infringements. I wouldn't argue that Cummins' tackle was safe but far worse tackles have been let by. What Scott Nowland says about it being a 'red card offense' is just stupid. Noone ever gets red carded for a spear tackle (I'm not saying that they shouldn't) even ones far worse than Cummins'. Julien Dupuy got 23 weeks for eye gouging the other day while Schalk Burger got 8 for his a while back.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    His legs did go past the horizontal but by a bee's dick, it hardly turned it into any form of a spear. I think this one is setting a pretty dangerous precident for future citings. What if there had been backwards momentum to go with the vertical drop, would there still be a case to answer or would it be deemed a fantastic tackle? I think the main thing that made it stand out was that they were stationary by the time he was dropped.
    Nicko will need to look at his technique during the probable holiday but I hope he doesn't change the intensity one bit.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Anyone found any video online of the incident?

vCash
    I have not seen video yet. But the citing said "legs in the air and back facing the ground". That's not a spear tackle, AFAIK. That's when a player is lifted well past horizontal and intentionally driven head first. I can only agree with Burgs' thinking here. If a player can no longer be lifted and back slammed onto the turf the definition of a dangerous tackle is becoming too wide & the game is losing some of it's mongrel.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    was on the news last night, nothing in it really, from what i could see. he lifted the Bull up, legs dangled and werent horizontal. only penalty that could really make sense was that he didnt have the ball..

Last edited by force addict; 29-03-10 at 12:51.
    Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast