Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stadium costings a concern

vCash

Stadium costings a concern

Stadium costings a concern

1st May 2009, 9:45 WST

The State Government has warned the Town of Vincent and RugbyWA it will not decide on the proposed Members Equity Stadium redevelopment until detailed costings are provided.

The Western Force will play Super 14 matches at the venue from next year but will incur multi-million dollar losses until the stadium is expanded to hold 25,000. Parent body RugbyWA is pushing the Government for an upgrade decision by June 30.

Sports Minister Terry Waldron said the LEK Report, commissioned by the soccer and rugby codes and submitted last week, was only part of the requested business case and more financial information was needed.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=139278

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The Western Force will play Super 14 matches at the venue from next year but will incur multi-million dollar losses until the stadium is expanded to hold 25,000.

But at least we will be close enough to see them going broke...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post

But at least we will be close enough to see them going broke...
    As opposed to needing binoculars to watch them go broke faster.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Rookie
    vCash
    i thought they were moving to save money, are they going to be alright because even if the plan goes ahead can they do the work without disrupting what seating is already there?

vCash
    It's funny when you read the article the concerns look plausible until you realise that the contracts which Nick Cantana has in place look no more dodgy than the contracts the WAFL have in place on subi.

Sounds like some paper shuffling is in order - lets chop down some more trees.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Might need the axe in the Boardroom rather than the forest TQ1

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    How will we be losing millions?? Current attendance would fill the stadium nicely. We're not going to have huge increases from gate takings if current crowd sizes are the same but we're saving hundreds of thousands in rent for the WAFC's crap-hole stadium.

The State Government has warned the Town of Vincent and RugbyWA it will not decide on the proposed Members Equity Stadium redevelopment until detailed costings are provided.
    They were never going to go ahead with it without putting them through the ringer. You would expect anyone asking for millions of dollars to give a detailed report of costings, thats not newsworthy...Oh no, I forgot the WAFC never had to do that before

vCash
    The paperwork probably needs to look extra good as the WAFL is chasing monies for their project too.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    and to think the previous government were going to spend hundreds of millions on subi,........that was cause for concern!...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    They were never going to go ahead with it without putting them through the ringer. You would expect anyone asking for millions of dollars to give a detailed report of costings, thats not newsworthy
    Agreed. Anyone with a responsible approach to taxpayers money would have the same requirement - "show me the business case that supports my putting A$70million into the project".

What I find disturbing is that ToV and RWA have not come up with what is required by the state government. They have again had to be told it is required - for the second time in public. The state government made it clear months ago that they would need the detailed business case.

The state government are on side with putting in the money but have to be duly diligent. Let's hope ToV and RWA don't fiu.

...Oh no, I forgot the WAFC never had to do that before
    This is WA. The land of dodgy deals and dodgy mates

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Would it fall back to RugbyWA as a tenant - or is it ToV and Allia (as MES Owners) who need to come up with the paperwork?

vCash
    I would think ToV and Allia as Perth Glory and WA Reds/WARL would be included in said Business case?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Would it fall back to RugbyWA as a tenant - or is it ToV and Allia (as MES Owners) who need to come up with the paperwork?
    Even though RWA is a "tenant" it is clearly seen by all concerned that the primary proponents for the redevelopment are both ToV and RWA. This is refelected by the fact that the state government is/has been in discussions with both.

Other codes will of course also be involved (as demonstrated by the report presented last week) but it is RWA (aka the Force) that is seen to be the major player, without whom the redevelopment will never get off the ground. Hence the elevation of RWA to being a major proponent not just a "tenant". There is no business case for the redevelopment without the Force.

vCash
    I don't know squat about putting these proposals to government, But I had expected that ToV and RWA had done just that when they paid a firm of consultants to do the report. If all they got for their money was some waffle to demonstrate what everyone knows already, that a rectangular venue is a must for Rugby in WA, then they've truly dropped the ball.

Having said that, did the WAFC/AFL have to do the same for their multi purpose AFL stadium or did the taxpayers fund the lot? (Rhetorical) Will they have to do the same to get money for Spewbie?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast