Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Henjak to play for two masters

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Henjak to play for two masters

By Bret Harris
    February 02, 2008
    WESTERN Force players will attempt to impress two coaches, John Mitchell and Robbie Deans, when they play the Crusaders in a Super 14 trial at Olympic Park in Melbourne.

The players will be looking to catch Mitchell's eye to secure places in the Force's 22-man squad, and those with Test ambitions will be aiming to make an impression on Deans, who will assume the Australia job after the Super 14.

Former Wallabies half-back Matt Henjak will be highly motivated, after being left in the international wilderness during the John Connolly era.

With George Gregan finishing his career overseas and Deans's stated intention to end the experiment of playing Matt Giteau at half-back, the race for the gold No.9 jersey is wide open.

Henjak has suffered because of perceptions about his off-field behaviour - he was sent home from a Wallabies tour to South Africa for an incident in a nightclub - and poor form in his first season with the Force in 2006.

But there is no doubt Henjak is a hugely talented player and his form improved markedly last year.
    The fact he is forming a halves partnership with his close friend Giteau at the Force may also enhance his Wallabies prospects.

Other Force players who will be looking to impress Deans include captain and second rower Nathan Sharpe, young openside flanker David Pocock, outside backs Cameron Shepherd and Drew Mitchell, utility back Scott Staniforth and rugby league convert Ryan Cross.

Deans, no doubt, will also be keenly interested to see how Giteau performs in his new position at five-eighth.

The Force's team is reasonably settled, but there is still competition for several spots.
    The most contentious area is the backrow with six players, Pocock, Matt Hodgson, Scott Fava, Richard Brown, Scott Fardy and new recruit Tamati Horua competing for three spots.

Shepherd is expected to secure his preferred full-back position, shifting Mitchell to the wing, which may have Wallabies implications.

David Pusey will have a fight on his hands to keep promising young second rower Tom Hockings out of the starting line-up.

Scott Daruda has been ear-marked as the back-up five-eighth and inside centre, but he could push for a start at inside centre if the Force is prepared to play Staniforth at outside centre.
    But the player to watch is five-eighth James O'Connor, 17 and regarded by some as the best inside back to emerge in Australia since Giteau.

The match will mark Deans's first outing on Australian soil since becoming Wallabies coach. Although he is focusing on the Crusaders, he is sure to be taking notes on his future charges.

Henjak to play for two masters - Rugby - Fox Sports

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    good luck to all the force boys!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    It's looking pretty good for the Force for Wallabies 08

9; Henjak
    10; Giteau
    11; Mitchell
    15; Shepherd
    Then two in the mix
    Cross
    Staniforth. Although the utility back tag seems to always put you on the bench.

Then we have a bunch of forwards in the running as well.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    so your not liking sharpe's chances of a wallabies run this year flame?

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    I am, but he's a forward

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    oh yeah.
    sorry... had a big one last night

vCash
    I found this article to be right on the money apart from one thing. I don't think the primary question in Mitch's mind will be backrow at all. There has only been one addition to the stocks there and not much change. I think the current policy of rotation and using specialy back rowers against teams which suit them best will continue, For instance, You'll see Pocock get a start, and heaps of minutes against teams where his pilfering skills will come to the fore. Browny will be used against teams where an extra jumper is needed, so that's more of the same.

I'd say the big two questions are Backup half (I reckon O'Connor might see a fair few minutes tonight), and Lock With a real toss of the coin between several promising young locks (I'd give Tom Hockings the start as the closest we've got to an incumbent with the loss of Rudi. See how he goes in the big time, but pull both him and Sharpie pretty early and replace them with other options (Including maybe a backrower who can switch around)

Other places to look will be Winger (One slot is still pretty open) and Inside centre, I think Spanner will probably have a mortgage on inside centre, but he's not playing tonight, so you'll probably see Mitch's opinion of who's going to fill his bench utility slot playing there tonight (Is Daruda a chance here if he can play 12, that would certainly bring a lot of versatility to our backline!)

C'mon the

vCash
    Gits certainly seems to be switching focus from 12 to 10 this season. Anyone know how far Jimmy H is from playing after the hammy rip?

vCash
    I dunno, but it can't be long, seems like he's been off it for ages!

There could be a bit of the 'Trying to fit Spanner into the run on side' into Git's move to 10. Jimmy would be a great option as a utility back on the bench (that being said, i'm aware that I've nominated about 6 backs for this position and I'm advocating two backs on the bench........It's a nice problem for Mitch to have!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I dunno, but it can't be long, seems like he's been off it for ages!
    .......It's a nice problem for Mitch to have!
    Yeah sure is

I'd just like to see Jimmy get a decent shot when the team is playing well. I think he's got heaps of talent but we haven't seen the best of it yet.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Wow a article featuring Henjak without badmouthing him, obviously not written by the SMH

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash

The lika th the bottom is for the Australian, they're not usually a whole lot different......Maybe someone there is sick of supporting a crap team

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    It's looking pretty good for the Force for Wallabies 08

9; Henjak
    10; Giteau
    11; Mitchell
    15; Shepherd
    Then two in the mix
    Cross
    Staniforth. Although the utility back tag seems to always put you on the bench.

Then we have a bunch of forwards in the running as well.
    One curve ball from left field:
    9; Henjak
    10; McKay (take another look on Thursday)
    11; Mitchell
    12; Giteau
    13; A Brumby
    14; A Waratah
    15; Shepherd

20; A Queenslander
    21; Cross
    22; Staniforth

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    Maybe swap the Tah to the bench and the Queenslander to the wing because of Digby.

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    I think the Wallabies would like to have wingers who can catch!

but if we get a Brumby at 13, that's more than likely two-dads, and Crossy is a better option than that!

For the sake of balance, I'd go for a Waratah at Center and a Brumby at wing! Lachie Turner might make a reasonable shot of Wing in the big time though......do the red's have anyone who could play outside center, or did that dream die with Benny leaving?

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast