Thread: Rumour, Lies and Gems of Insight

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash

Rumour, Lies and Gems of Insight

OK, what's happening around the clubs at the moment?

I've tried to keep my ears to the ground but have picked up precious little.

Except:

Cottesloe have recruited very well. Too bad Western Suburbs have poached a number of their better performers from last year.

Kalamunda have gone gangbusters in recruiting. So much so that there are rumblings of discontent as some of their premiership winning first grade players from last year have been given the message they will be in second grade in 2009. The team to beat again.

Palmyra have stolen a few first and second graders from Wests, plus a coach. Numbers are very low at training however, although the training drills have been excellent. Overseas and Eastern States recruiting has been minimal, as the club has no financial reserves.

Wanneroo have approached anything that moves from the less successful clubs from last year. Most of these have turned up their noses at the crass cash offers being made.Time they learned that the better players are with the top clubs, not the cellar dwellers.

Perth are apparently cock-a-hoop at their prospects, and while I have no information on quality, numbers are through the roof.

Rockingham will have a tough time of it this year. The thing about Rocky is that if they have anything to talk about, they scream it from the roof tops. So far deathly silence, although they did have a summertime visit from Mitch and a few of the Force boys. Just a hint Rocky, keep your training at the same venue, instead of being all over the place, or the lads will stop coming. Inexperienced, though very enthusiastic Coach, won't help.

Nedlands, as usual, play their cards close to their chest. I expect a lot of sponsor's dollars will be thrown in the Waikato area and will give good results. They should watch their backs however, as Wests are chatting to some of last year's fringe players.

University are reported to have recruited very well also, though no big names have been mentioned yet. They will do very well out of the Academy for obvious reasons. Numbers are nothing to write home about yet.

Associates, like Wanneroo have been up to their usual tricks approaching other local club's players. They are more subtle, and target the players they require much better, but even so, haven't had much success yet. They will be far more successful with their Sydney and Queensland efforts however and will surprise many with what they come up with.

Wests saw the writing on the wall last year and have gone all out in their recruiting drive. They have approached players from most clubs, particularly those North of the River and have secured a good few, which will more than make up for those they have lost. Expect a much improved season from them. Numbers are good.

Apart from a couple of clubs, it looks to be developing towards a very even season, with congestion at the top of the ladder.

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    OK Fulv I will give you an insight into what i have heard on the grapevine...

Wests have recruited well and have a top 1st grade coach on board in Wayne Gibson. Look out for their Under 20's team as most of the boys have formed an 'Aranmore' Reunion team.

Rockingham have been pretty quiet but due to a relocation of one of our former players have secured one mighty fine halfback/ flyhalf in Sam Moon.

Nedlands have been talking up their back row recruitment, but other than that i dont know much else about them.

Wanneroo have apparently recruited half the Cook islands sevens team... I know they have definately approached a few players and although the money tempted a few i think they saw the light and realised its not worth selling out.

University has been training well but havent been too active in recruiting as far as i know, i think they did the majority of that last year. However they have taken two baysie boys as far as I know, a prop and a lock/ flanker - one of them someone who was apparently recruited. Not too sure what is going on here but they seem to have finally seen the light and tried forming a decent forward pack to complement their classy backs.

Cott have recruited some experienced players and will be interesting to see how they go but maybe the relaxed lifestyle of their area and the partying culture of their club will be their downfall once again.

Other than that haven't heard too much about any of the other clubs. As for us we have been getting strong numbers but not too many 1st grade players down there, hopefully with the season fast approaching they start coming out from their caves!!

How is Palmyra looking? One of the guys from work had his cousin come over from NZ not long ago, apparently a big boy around 20yrs old. I told him to go to Pally as he lives kind of close, apparently he is really enjoying the trainings

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Thanks Goony.

We haven't lost too many from last year but we are starting from a fairly low base.

The problem is we aren't getting them all turning up to training at the same time.

You might get 60 players through over a couple of weeks, but without having them all together it makes it hard. Still, they do seem to be enjoying it like you said.

We don't have any star signings, and only a few new boys, by word of mouth or calling in off the street.

I think a couple of imports are due in March, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Most years we get a big influx of players returning when the scratch matches start, so here's hoping. Last year we had about 120 registered players on our books.

Our first scratch match is against Rockingham and we have another against Soaks I think.

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    ...and now for something completely different:

Us refs have had a significant arrival: that of Julian Pritchard, who is (I believe) originally from Perth. I saw him ref at Britannia about 10 yrs ago when he was a teenager. He went to Canberra and rose through the ref ranks and was on the ARU panel. Also some IRB panel, I think. He reffed a few ARC games - 1 Spirit home game that I recall. He is also Assistant Ref for the first 2 home games.

Anyhoo I understand he'll be refereeing club rugby, so youse 1st grades now have Julian and Andrew Lindsay as ARU highly-ranked dudes. Plus the rest of us to put up with, of course...

I also understand one of our top 3 refs from the last couple of years might not be reffing much, if at all, this year due to a FIFO job he has, so time at home will be with family.

No idea how training is going for anyone except me as we all do our own thing.

See you out there for trial matches

0 Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    No truth to the rumours that Joondalup have picked up some Queensland Academy players on secondment?

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Geez, they'll have a fantastic fourth grade for the first game of the season if that's the case ...

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Oh, sorry, that's their first grade.

0 Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I hear there are a couple of Banjo players in their ranks.

Might be good for the Banjo Players Appreciation Society.

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Chiselhead actually plays rugby?

0 Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    So I heard. And they have a great Lock for the line out. I hear he is 69ft tall and has a beard.

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    Holy Jesus!

0 Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Blasphemy!!!

0 Not allowed!

vCash
    No, that's the nickname of one of the new flankers playing for Nedlands.

They got him when they answered an email from the widow of a Nigerian government procurement officer promising to give them 1% of $45,000,000 if they could get her son a visa into Australia.

It turned out to be scam. Once they got him into the country they discovered he was actually Tim Johnson in disguise, using the same $45000 he promised them last year.

When they found out who he was, the air was bluer than their jumpers, what with all the blaspheming.

The nickname stuck.

0 Not allowed!