Thread: McMeniman plots World Cup bid

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

McMeniman plots World Cup bid

McMeniman plots World Cup bid

Wayne Smith From: The Australian June 05, 2010 12:00AM

JAPAN-BASED Wallabies utility forward Hugh McMeniman has sounded out the Australian Rugby Union about a 12-month contract.
    If granted, it would allow him to return home next year to make a last-ditch bid for World Cup selection.

The 26-year-old lock or blindside flanker recently started a lucrative contract with Kubota but, like another former Queensland and Australian lineout ace Daniel Heenan, has explored the possibility of securing a short-term release from his club to have a crack at the World Cup squad.

An ARU spokesman said yesterday McMeniman had been told the ARU had no interest in providing him with a top-up to a one-year contract but the 21-Test veteran could join an Australian franchise on a standard Super 15 contract.

Queensland coach Ewen McKenzie indicated yesterday he was not excited by the prospect of a one-season February-June return by McMeniman but Rebels chief executive Pat Wilson held out some hope that the Melbourne franchise was open to the idea.

"In terms of our forwards, we're just about done and we're happy with the roster we've assembled, but we'd always be happy to talk to a player of McMeniman's standing," Wilson said.

Indeed, signing a senior player to a one-year deal would have a certain appeal to the Rebels. Because they are a start-up franchise, they have had to sign just about all of their players to two and three-year deals, which gives them little flexibility with their roster.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    F@@k you hugh!
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    i dont agree with it, the old smash and grab attitude..

Sets a bad precedent having a player returning only in the world cup year to take a world cup spot and then leave the following year. If he were to sign on for 2 years i would have a different opinion.

vCash
    If he gets a gig with the rebels and puts in an absolute blinder of a season....
    It would certainly make the selectors earn their pay.

vCash
    Unfortunately MMM is an injury waiting to happen. The story of his career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    i dont agree with it, the old smash and grab attitude..

Sets a bad precedent having a player returning only in the world cup year to take a world cup spot and then leave the following year. If he were to sign on for 2 years i would have a different opinion.
    I guess that's exactly the reason he wouldn't be getting a top up........if he proves himself worthy, give him a short term contract just for the World Cup, use him up and throw him out...like what he did to the Reds.

Of course it's severely unlikely he'll come back from Japan and play himself into a WC spot in one season. He's got to be as good as Sharpie and Horwill to be assured of anything other than a bench.....there are young guys who could be up to that standard soon and therefore be a better investment.....along with the second and third string of Aussie locks, who are all MMM's equal or better!

Let him come for a year....no danger!

C'mon the

vCash
    the only danger i see GIGS, it set a precedent that a player can just turn up for RWC years. Whats to stop Cooper, Pocock or Robinson playing 2012,2013 & 2014 over in Europe, returing for the RWC in 2015 and then heading back to Europe in 2016.

Playing in the Rugby World Cup is the biggest bargaining chip that the ARU posseses, so many players remain in Australia due to the lure of playing in a RWC.

vCash
    If you read between the lines, I was saying he's not going to get selected anyway, he's not doing himself any favours and could almost be considered an overseas marquee for the Rebels.....as a matter of fact, that could be the best way to sort all this out, just call him a marquee, thus eliminating him for Wallaby selection.

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    McMeniman is a tool.

Take a three year contract, do the world cup, do the lions series and do something useful with your talent. Apart from money, what do you really gain withering away in Japan? Whether he is in Australia or not he'll still make a million dollars over the next three years so why not go for a bit of glory in the process.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.