Thread: Bernie to Bring Giteau Back From the Dead

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Bernie to Bring Giteau Back From the Dead

Brumbies legend Stephen Larkham believes Matt Giteau's talents were wasted by the Wallabies last year and has confidence he can help his former teammate rediscover dominant form in Canberra

Larkham has returned to the Brumbies this year as a backs coach for the Super Rugby team, having recently finished his distinguished playing career with the Ricoh Black Rams in Japan.

The sight of Larkham and Giteau reunited and scheming on the training paddock is one to warm the hearts of Brumbies fans everywhere.

The pair formed a 10-12 combination between 2003 and 2006 and won a Super 12 title in 2004, the last successful campaign by an Australian team.

But Giteau, who shifted to Western Force in 2007 before returning last season, has not hit the same heights without Larkham by his side, and a lack of impact saw the 28-year-old dropped from the Wallabies late last year.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Larkham feels Giteau's talent has not diminished and if properly harnessed can steer the Brumbies back to the finals.

"We've definitely talked about it as coaches and have a bit of a feeling Matt was under-utilised in the Wallabies program last year," Larkham said.

"The roles he played weren't especially suited to his style of game.

"We feel we have a good grasp on how best to use Matt and we're confident we'll see him perform well for us during the season."

Giteau played centre for Australia in 2010 but is likely to revert back to No. 10 in Canberra to take more control.

Already Brumbies insiders have noticed having Larkham back in the fold has put the spring back in Giteau's step.

He was actually on the panel that appointed Larkham as the Brumbies' backs coach, rating the 112-Test legend as his biggest coaching influence even while they were still teammates.

"It's been fantastic to work with Gits again," Larkham said.

"He has tremendous enthusiasm and it's a bit like having another coach out there. He is definitely determined to have a good year with the Brumbies."

Giteau is expected to announce shortly this will be his last year playing in Australia. He is set to join a French club next year.

Larkham caught the coaching bug in Japan, where foreign players are expected to pass on their wisdom, but admits he's been surprised at the speed of his move into full-time coaching.

Still fit and competitive, Larkham is very hands on at training and Brumbies staff have started a sweep on how many injuries or bouts of flu it would take to see the 36-year-old stick his hand up for a comeback.

"I guess seeing as I am a selector I'd have a chance of winning that," Larkham said.

"But no, even with injuries we'd want to see our young kids coming through.

"I'd say at least eight or nine blokes would have to be out for anything like that to happen."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/su...-1225995990286

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well, your fledgling Coaching rep is on the line now Bernie, good luck.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    But Giteau, who shifted to Western Force in 2007 before returning last season, has not hit the same heights without Larkham by his side, and a lack of impact saw the 28-year-old dropped from the Wallabies late last year.

I've had an inkling that this has been Giteau's problem all along. With Gregan and Bernie inside and Sterlo outside Matt Giteau was the brightest of stars - we all thought he was the best 12 in the world if not the best 10. Maybe he too thought he was the best at both and it would all just continue as amatter of course.

But though he is still a great player he has not been able to go to that next level where he is the go-to man who runs all the plays and inspires those around him. Maybe he just doesn't have it or maybe he just didn't work hard enough to get it.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    The Brumbies backline will be so good this year if Larkham is coaching them. Good to hear he has plans for Giteau, and i can imagine he will have some ideas for Toomua as well.

vCash
    he has gone to seed because he runs sideways and tries to do everything himself

Controversy corner

vCash
    Best news ever, Giteau at 10 for the ponies, he'll crab sideways all year and starve their real weapons of ball.

Also interesting to hear he was on the panel who appointed Bernie. What makes him so special?

C'mon the

vCash
    Committee comes to mind

vCash
    I thought that as well gigs
    Posted via Mobile Device