Drew Mitchell is one of five wingers in contention for Tri-Nations selection

DREW Mitchell and Cameron Shepherd feel as if they are taking part in the reality television series The Contender.

The seasoned internationals are competing for the vacant wing spot in the Wallabies backline.
As wingers Digby Ioane (dislocated shoulder) and Peter Hynes (knee) are unavailable for Australia's opening Tri-Nations Test against South Africa in Brisbane on Saturday week, coach Robbie Deans drafted Mitchell, Shepherd, Lachie Turner, Nick Cummins and Pat McCabe into the squad for training this week.
Deans is looking for one or two wingers, depending on where he decides to play utility back Adam Ashley-Cooper.
"It's like The Contender or something," said Mitchell, in reference to the TV show that follows a group of boxers as they compete with each other in an elimination-style competition.

"We are only two days into it, but obviously there is the potential for someone getting a spot at the back end of the week.
"There's four of us wingers or outside backs who have been called into the squad. First and foremost, all of us are mates, but at the same time we all want to get into the squad.
"There is going to be that competitive edge at training. There always is anyway. It's just highlighted a little bit more because the four of us are trying to get the one spot that's available or whatever the case may be."
Shepherd suggested the Wallabies could make their own reality TV show following the wing contenders at training.
"We could make a bit of a show out if it," Shepherd said. "I think Drew would like that.
"I guess it's funny because we are all pretty close mates. It's good. A little bit of healthy competition never hurt anyone."
Mitchell, who started in all four Tests against Fiji, England (two) and Ireland, is seeking redemption after being omitted from the 28-man squad Deans announced last Thursday.
"Once you are involved in the squad for a period of time it's never good to be on the outside," Mitchell said.
"It was certainly not the best phone call I've received. I guess it's what you make of it in the end. It was disappointing, but at the same time I've really enjoyed my time in club footy.
"Robbie gave me some reasons and it wasn't anything we hadn't spoken about before. The detail of that conversation will remain between us, but it's nothing left-field.
"Of course I want to fight to get back into it. It's not something you like hearing, having been involved in the squad and then all of a sudden being on the outer."
In contrast, Shepherd seemed happy just to be part of the extended squad again.
After breaking a leg in the Wallabies' win against France in Brisbane in 2008, Shepherd has endured ankle and quad injuries which put him out of contention.
"I'm just happy to be back in the mix," Shepherd said. "Whether I'm in the train-on squad and don't make the main squad, just to be considered as part of this group is a good feeling. I'm just going to train hard and whatever happens happens.
"It's been a tough two years, but I've given up on looking back, especially the first year after my broken leg. I looked back and had a bit of why me attitude, but I'm not going to do that anymore."
Meanwhile, the ARU has confirmed the Wallabies will play English club champion Leicester in a midweek game on their tour of Europe in November.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225891378986