Thread: George Smith on outer as Robbie Deans sharpens axe

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

George Smith on outer as Robbie Deans sharpens axe

By Jon Geddes

On the outer ... George Smith. Source: The Daily Telegraph

WALLABIES coach Robbie Deans is poised to dramatically revamp his Test side for their opening spring tour game against the All Blacks - and champion back-rower George Smith could be a high-profile casualty.

When the squad trained in two distinct teams at Victoria Barracks yesterday, Smith, who captained Australia at No.8 in their last Test against the All Blacks in Wellington, was running with what was clearly the second team.
    Western Force forward David Pocock was again openside flanker in the top side with Wycliff Palu back at No.8.

While Deans has made sweeping changes to his side through the year and moved on several senior stars, the demotion of Smith would mark the biggest single selection gamble of his time as Wallabies coach. The dynamic Brumbies flanker is a two-time winner of the John Eales Medal and this year became just the 10th player in history to play 100 Tests.

Pocock has played just 11 Tests and started in only three of them. In other apparent changes for Tokyo, Adam Ashley-Cooper replaces James O'Connor at fullback and winger Digby Ioane returns from a season-long injury for Lachie Turner.

The likely shake-up came with the bad news that centre Stirling Mortlock will miss the first two Tests, against New Zealand and England, with to a torn calf. He will stay behind to receive further treatment when the squad flies out on Saturday and is expected to play against Ireland.

Deans did his best to downplay the significance of yesterday's sides, saying there had been no discussions about formulating the Test team.

"Obviously we ran two teams so that everyone gets some experience of the role play - but if you are asking is that the selection for Gloucester and Tokyo: no, it's not,'' Deans said. "But you can surmise what you like.''

Whether Deans has separate strategies for the dead-rubber Tokyo stopover and the Grand Slam month remains to be seen. If Smith starts on the bench against the All Blacks on October 31, he would likely captain Australia in their tour match with Gloucester three days later.

Deans said no replacement would be called up for Mortlock, who had been penciled in to play against the All Blacks after knee surgery.

"The expectation is he will join us on the 8th [November] and at that stage he will be good to go in terms of training and playing,'' Deans said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225788961252

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    MY GOD!!! I've said Pocock is the next Wallaby #7 for a couple of years now, but I was pretty cool with George being pushed to #8, Pocock's not the question mark in that equation, Palu is, how the hell can he still be in the frame with the career he's had in a gold jumper?

It'd be like bringing Rodzilla back to fix up the front row!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Terrible for George but I'm comfortable with both starters.
    And imagine an unleashed twenty minutes of George against a tiring AB pack

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    That thought does calm me a bit Burgs, but I'm concerned, with Palu starting about the reason why the Springbok pack might be tiring (like they've spent all their energy running around a lazy number 8 for multiple tries)

I think Palu is the scarier option for the last 20 against a tiring pack, because George is far more likely to actually tire them out.

C'mon the

vCash
    Pocock has a lot of potential, but IMO George is still a lot better, not only for his playing ability but his experience as well.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Perhaps Deans is thinking of playing Pocock for the brute force angle. Smith is very effective in those free flowing games but he does seem less so when he plays in the Northern hemisphere. Pitch conditions probably slow him down a bit and the game is more of a forwards rumble. Pocock's strength seems better suited to that. I'd still play Smith in the big games but I suppose it'd be sensible to play Pocock versus England and Scotland.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Again, I don't see this as a Pocock vs Smith issue, it's a Palu vs Smith issue

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I believe that this tour will see him take over from Smith in everyone's estimation (well 90% anyway, probably not the Brumby supporters...)
    George is one of the greats, no argument and has battled against arguably the best #7's in history.
    Bam will stand on the shoulders of these men and then eventually stand alone.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Should be a Brown vs Smith issue.

vCash
    Yeah but it won't be, Browny pushed it all a bit too hard with the two yellows, He would have been OK if he'd been more effective in those two tests.

I still reckon he's a better option than Palu, but Smith at 8 is a better option than either right now (IMHO)

C'mon the