Thread: Stop living in the past: Deans

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Stop living in the past: Deans

Stop living in the past: Deans

By Darren Walton
    November 12, 2008 AUSTRALIA coach Robbie Deans has warned England against living on past glories as the Wallabies seized the psychological ascendancy in an intriguing build-up to Saturday's much-hyped Cook Cup clash at Twickenham.

As new England coach Martin Johnson restored former captain Phil Vickery to his front row in an obvious, and perhaps desperate, attempt to intimidate Australia, Deans turned the tables on the hosts when he revealed the Wallabies would target the scrum as an unlikely area to gain an edge.

Such tactics would have been unthinkable for Wallabies of the recent past, but Deans believes that, having already matched New Zealand and South Africa up front this year, his rebuilt pack is ready to shatter England's sense of invincibility at the set piece.

The England forwards have destroyed Australia in their two most recent northern-hemisphere encounters, at Twickenham in 2005 and in the 2007 Rugby World Cup in France, and Johnson's recall of Vickery alongside fellow Wallabies tormenter Andy Sheridan suggests they are hoping to do so once again.

But displaying a quiet resolve, if not scant disregard for England's past dominance, Deans promised the Australia scrum would be up for the challenge this time around.

"The scrum has been a good launching pad for us and obviously we're hopeful that will be the case on the weekend," the first-year Wallabies coach said.

"One thing I have noticed in my role is the amount of reference there is to the past. And the great thing about this game is the past has no bearing.

"It's what happens on the weekend. And the one thing I would say about these blokes in terms of the way they're playing now - if I could out it in a sentence - is that these guys have done their apprenticeship."

In a blow to British reporters - and possibly the England team also - who continue to bombard the tourists with questions about the Wallabies scrum ad nauseam, Deans said Australia had only placed "a typical emphasis" on the set piece in their preparation this week.

"We haven't adjusted the proportions at all," he said.

Deans has clearly grown tired of repeated references to Australia's 2005 and 2007 submissions to the old enemy and warned payback might be imminent if the English presumed further successes.

"What happens is your next opponent tends to get more excited about tipping you over," he said.

"So the bar keeps being raised and the key is to stay with it.

"Because the moment you park up and presume anything, it bites you.

"You can't presume anything in this game, so that's what makes it so good."

Not one to look back, Deans said it was high time the English realised the events of Marseille 2007 were no longer relevant.

"There's been a lot of references to Marseille, but I understand from hearsay that there's four players in the starting XV for England (backing up) and I understand there's five in the Wallabies," he said.

"So I think there's your answer in terms of background."

The coach's confidence has obviously rubbed off on Wallabies captain Stirling Mortlock, who said he had no plans to use last year's painful loss to motivate his players on Saturday.

"Personally, I always have fond memories of great wins and obviously not so fond memories of defeats. That's the way it is, that's sport," Mortlock said.

"So we'll be totally focused on what we're looking to achieve and that'll be pretty much be where I'll draw all my inspiration from. Nothing from Marseille."

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Stop living in the Past is a nice line...Deans has left the past behind and pressed the Wallabies to do so as well...

Knuckles still gives me nightmares, what a crap international coach he turned out to be...

Still need a replacement inside back on the squad…if Lote doesn't play...Wallabies by 6-10 points...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Stop living in the Past is a nice line...Deans has left the past behind and pressed the Wallabies to do so as well...

Knuckles still gives me nightmares, what a crap international coach he turned out to be...

Still need a replacement inside back on the squad…if Lote doesn't play...Wallabies by 6-10 points...
    the article was was about England leaving the past behind

vCash
    I understand Deans was referring to England. My point is his comment is just as pertinent to Australia as we have done a lot of this over years. Living in past glories and hanging the weigh around the necks of the team of the day... certain former Wallaby greats lived of it…

George Smith and Matt Giteau will be the difference on the weekend, the thief and the magician.

I think the scrum will compete...Moore is a sound hooker who on longer takes a step back.

Wizard Mortlock has a good understanding with two dads Adam Ashley-Cooper, so I would expect some action form them. Cross will be a handful for the opposition as always as always and should link well with Mitchell.

I also expect to see a big game form Brown, Chisholm and McMeniman…Palu on late will break the English strength, expect some good late Wycliff runs. The Wallabies will shut down the English young Flyhalf Danny Cipriani and put pressure on his kicking game. Brown and Chisholm will run at Cipriani all day. Then it’s just a matter of time and putting points on the board…

The Twickenham test match may possibly be the making of this Wallabies squad…the future is what we’re interested in…........ENGAGE

vCash
    I understand Deans was referring to England. My point is his comment is just as pertinent to Australia as we have done a lot of this over years. Living in past glories and hanging the weigh around the necks of the team of the day... certain former Wallaby greats lived of it…
    I wouldnt say that the Wallabies are living on past glories, more like past failures..
    none of these players were there in the glory 'rod maqueen' years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    I wouldnt say that the Wallabies are living on past glories, more like past failures..
    none of these players were there in the glory 'rod maqueen' years.
    So the quality of our team DIDN'T degrade because we lost track of the next generation when the Wallabies were strong? Or are you arguing for the sake of it? The lack of depth/quality in Australian rugby by comparison to back when we were winning big matchs already proves the case.

vCash
    I don't think the Wallabies are living on past glories... but I do think some rugby administrators, former players and some fanatical fans, not to mention misty eyed journalist are...I think the team predominantly endeavours to get on with the job...

I think the team often has too much projected onto them from the Australian rugby community…

Are you with me now TOCC...I'm talking about the past pre Deans...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    So the quality of our team DIDN'T degrade because we lost track of the next generation when the Wallabies were strong? Or are you arguing for the sake of it? The lack of depth/quality in Australian rugby by comparison to back when we were winning big matchs already proves the case.
    arguing for the sake of it? i dont agree with what he said, isnt this what chat forums are for, different point of views?

i dont know why you commented on the talent difference between now and back then since we werent even talking about it, but since you asked.

I dont think Australia had any more talent back in the Rod Maqueen days then what they have now, the major difference back then was the coaching. Australia was far more advanced in coaching techniques, fitness and strenght. The other nations around the world have since caught up, and in some cases overtaken us.

You only have to look at the statistics prior to the Rod Maqueen coaching set up, they were pretty poor, then when he took over he used the same core group of players and turned them into world champions. To me that would indicate that it was coaching and conditioning.

Even other teams around the world commented on how the techniques and training of the wallabies was advanced of there own. In the 1999 RWC it was thrown around that the Wallabies had being on steroids because they were bigger, stronger and faster then many of there opposition players, it was in fact due to conditioning training and not drugs.

I don't think the Wallabies are living on past glories... but I do think some rugby administrators, former players and some fanatical fans, not to mention misty eyed journalist are...I think the team predominantly endeavours to get on with the job...

I think the team often has too much projected onto them from the Australian rugby community…

Are you with me now TOCC...I'm talking about the past pre Deans...
    well yes i get you now since you have elaborated what you meant.