Thread: Game 2 - Wallabies v England 2022

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Game 2 - Wallabies v England 2022

Underhill in for second Wallabies Test
    Staff Writers
    Press Association
    July 6, 2022 6:29AM

Sam Underhill is poised to fill the void in England's back row created by Tom Curry's tour-ending concussion for Saturday's do-or-die second Test against Australia in Brisbane.

Underhill was overlooked altogether for the 30-28 defeat at Optus Stadium in Perth but is winning the race to be selected at openside flanker ahead of Lewis Ludlam and Jack Willis.

The 25-year-old was a star of the 2019 World Cup but since Japan he has been limited to winning only 13 caps due to concussion, COVID, illness and injury, making just one appearance in the recent Six Nations.

Now he is poised to lead the defensive stand at Suncorp Stadium as England look to take the series to a decider, with Ludlam expected to continue on the bench.

"Sam's work rate on and off the ball are excellent. He's a really good defender, particularly with his chop tackles," defence coach Anthony Seibold, who joined fellow Australian Eddie Jones' coaching team in the autumn, said.

"He's played at a high level. I'm thinking of New Zealand at Twickenham in 2018 and, watching his performances at the World Cup from afar, he was a standout for me."

Teenage sensation Henry Arundell is also in serious contention to replace Joe Cokanasiga on the left wing following his stunning seven-minute try-scoring cameo in the first Test.

It was hoped that Jonny May would be available, but he has yet to train fully as he continues his recovery from COVID and now faces a battle to be fit for the climax to the series in Sydney.

Six years ago England produced a remarkable act of defiance in the second Test in Melbourne to take an unassailable lead in a series they went on to win 3-0, and it is felt that a similar effort will be needed to subdue the Wallabies on Saturday.

"You look at our leaders like Courtney Lawes, Owen Farrell and Ellis Genge - you want to go to war with those guys. You do," former South Sydney and Brisbane NRL coach Seibold said.

"I know Owen spoke about how this is an opportunity for us. I do think we've got some guys in our group who are up for this and that's the exciting thing."

Veteran prop Mako Vunipola has called on England to empty the tanks at a venue where Australia have won their last 10 Tests.

"It's time for us to show what we're about as a team. We've got nowhere to hide," Vunipola said.

"We've got our backs against the wall and now we've got to go out there and put our best foot forward."

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/ru...test-c-7420254

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Bell's Wallabies seek England 'domination'
    Tue, 05/07/2022, 1:49 pm
    Murray Wenzel - AAP

Fresh-faced Wallabies prop Angus Bell has raised the bar for the second Test against England, declaring only a domination of the visitors' set piece will do.

The 21-year-old started in the 30-28 win in Perth, where Australia played for more than a half with 14 men after Darcy Swain's red card for headbutting.

Quade Cooper (calf), Tom Banks (arm) and Allan Alaalatoa (concussion) were also injured before and during the game, while fellow prop Taniela Tupou is a good chance of returning on Saturday at Suncorp Stadium.

Winning without them thanks to a three-try second half went against the script after eight consecutive losses to Eddie Jones' side.

Bell couldn't care less about that outside noise though, adamant they can improve again in Brisbane.

"Really don't really think about it," he said of those who had written off his side, and particularly the forward pack, pre-match.

"For me it's about execution and I was pretty unhappy with our set piece. It could be better.

"We're not here to be even with England, we're here to dominate them.

"We didn't quite get that in the right area, the red card didn't help but we'll bring another step up in our set piece (in Brisbane)."

Tupou's first child arrived ahead of schedule last week and coach Dave Rennie is confident the Queensland Red will recover from a calf injury to restock a depleted tighthead cupboard.

Bell can't wait to see him in action.

"We all know Taniela's a beast; one of the world's best and in every single facet of the game Taniela has a massive impact," he said.

"If he does get picked he'll do a job."

Meanwhile, inside centre Samu Kerevi was on Tuesday named in Australia's rugby sevens squad for this month's Commonwealth Games.

Man of the match in Perth, he said he still had improvement in his kicking and passing game to match the powerful running game he unleashed in the second half in Perth.

"Was kind of seamless to be back in with the boys," the Japan-based centre said.

He said preparation for the game helped them put out the fires calmly when injuries and red cards struck.

"We tried a lot of different combinations and the staff kept us on our toes (in the lead-up)," he said.

"It was nothing special (for Noah Lolesio to shift from the bench to No.10); he knew exactly what he needed to do and it was another seamless transition."

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/wallab...tickets-202275

vCash
    Jordan Petaia to start at fullback against England after Kellaway injury
    Thu, 07/07/2022, 3:57 am
    Nathan Williamson

The Wallabies are set to start Jordan Petaia at fullback in the second Test against England.

With Tom Banks out long-term after a broken arm, it was expected Rookie of the Year Andrew Kellaway, who went to the back in the first Test victory, would retain the position for Saturday's clash at Suncorp Stadium.

Don't miss out! Purchase your tickets for the Wallabies' three-Test series against England
    However, Kellaway has picked up a minor hamstring injury, which will put the Petaia fullback experiment on full display.

It's a move that has floated since last year, with Wallabies coach Dave Rennie admitting he was keen to see how he'd make the move.

Rennie selected Petaia to play fullback for the Barbarians Test against Samoa, however, a bevy of COVID cases forced the game's cancellation.

Bryce Hegarty's departure from the Reds opened the door for him to gain some valuable experience at Super Rugby level, flagged at the end of last season by Reds coach Brad Thorn and GM of Rugby Sam Cordingley.

"Thorny's always had his eye on this for quite a while," the former Wallabies halfback said back in November.

"He played a lot of his school rugby at 15, Thorny's seen that as a potential opportunity for 2022.

"Without giving too much away, I'm sure Thorny sees that as a future position for Jordy."

After starting on the wing, he was thrust to fullback in round four of Super Rugby Pacific against Fijian Drua, scoring during their 33-28 victory.

Further mixed performances followed before he was struck down with injury against the Rebels in April.

His return coincided with strong performances from Jock Campbell, with Thorn opting to keep Campbell in the 15 jersey and moving Petaia to the wing.

This has produced some of Petaia's best performances before a raft of injuries saw him moved back into the centres.

The injury to Banks brought the 22-year-old back onto the wing as he delivered a starring performance to get the Wallabies home.

The question now remains the same as it did at the start: just how good of a fullback is Jordan Petaia?

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/wallab...y-injury202276

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Name:  team 2.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  201.6 KB

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Hard to complain about them trying petaia at fullback with the number of injuries they're rocking.

It's a bit of a get out of jail free card isn't it?

C'mon the

vCash
    England confirm side for second Test
    Thu, 07/07/2022, 2:22 pm
    Nathan Williamson

Eddie Jones has confirmed former Sydney Uni captain Guy Porter will make his starting debut for England against the Wallabies.

Porter made his name for the Shute Shield and the Brumbies before returning back to England to help Leicester to the Premiership title.

After being an unused substitute last week, he comes into the centres alongside Owen Farrell as Jones maintains his partnership with Marcus Smith.

At scrum-half, Jack van Poortvliet will make his first start after scoring off the bench in Perth, swapping with Danny Care

Jones have resisted the urge to select apprentice player and teenage sensation Henry Arundell in the starting side after his breakout debut.

Instead, they have called Tommy Freeman into the starting side as Arundell looks to provide a similar spark from the bench.

"We have decided to make changes in our back line, they were tough calls but we feel they will strengthen the team," Jones said in a statement.

"There are opportunities to attack against Australia which we can take."

There is one chance to the starting pack, with Sam Underhill selected at open-side flanker after Tom Curry (concussion) was ruled out for the rest of the series.

Jones has opted for a 6-2 split on the bench, with Wasps backrower Jack Willis added as they look to keep the series alive.

“We have had solid preparation this week and looking forward to an important game in Brisbane," Jones added.

“This game is the perfect practice for the World Cup and our focus is putting on our best performance.”

ENGLAND (1-15): Ellis Genge, Jamie George, Will Stuart, Maro Itjoe, Jonny Hill, Courtney Lawes (c), Sam Underhill, Billy Vunipola, Jack Van Poortvliet, Marcus Smith, Tommy Freeman, Owen Farrell, Guy Porter, Jack Nowell, Freddie Steward

Reserves: Luke Cowan-Dicke, Mako Vunipola, Joe Heyes, Ollie Chessum, Lewis Ludlam, Sam Willis, Danny Care, Henry Arundell

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/englan...ucement-202277

vCash
    If itoje is injured 10m behind the play, why does the ref immediately stop play?

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Because the referee is a bit shit?

We make it easy for him though.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I had high hopes of the switch from Foxtel to Stan for an improvement in the standard of commentary.
    It's become even worse.
    I'm sure Drew Mitchell could do more virtue signalling if he really, really tried (sarc).
    What does SBW have to offer?
    Back to watching with mute button on and my favourite music in the background.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    I had high hopes of the switch from Foxtel to Stan for an improvement in the standard of commentary.
    It's become even worse.
    I'm sure Drew Mitchell could do more virtue signalling if he really, really tried (sarc).
    What does SBW have to offer?
    Back to watching with mute button on and my favourite music in the background.
    What did Drew say to be considered Virtue signalling?

vCash
    We were our own worst enemy in the first half

Last edited by jargan83; 09-07-22 at 21:41.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    We were our one worst enemy in the first half
    But not helped by a pedantic, if not pathetic TMO and a ref that was in above his station! IMHO.

PS we didn’t deserve to win.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    But not helped by a pedantic, if not pathetic TMO and a ref that was in above his station! IMHO.

TMO clearly loved the sound of her own voice.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post

Sometimes it's as simple as one team charging out of the blocks and just running hard and tackling even harder. They give sir a picture of dominance and so get the rub of the green. By the time a bit of momentum shifts it's a mountain to climb.