Thread: US Eagles face stiff Euro challenge

Legend Contributor
    vCash

US Eagles face stiff Euro challenge

The American Eagles will get two world class opponents - Ireland and Wales - during their mid-year international season.

Even though the Irish and Welsh will provide a substantial number of players to the British and Irish Lions, for their tour of South Africa, the two Home Unions will still be able to field top class fields that will test the ambitious Eagles outfit.

In announcing their mid-year schedule, the Eagles confirmed that they compete in their busiest domestic schedule to date.

"One of our goals was to increase the number of international opponents in order to make our national teams more competitive," US Rugby's CEO and President of Rugby, Nigel Melville said.

"This schedule is a very good step forward in many respects. We are playing stiff competition against top international sides, which is really the only way to gauge our development.

"And with the increased amount of matches across the US, as well as the number of games being broadcast, this is a great opportunity for fans to get behind the Eagles and create some momentum."

On May 31, the US men's national team will face Ireland in San Jose, California.

The Eagles will kick off their domestic season against the Irish national team at the Buck Shaw Stadium.

Then on June 6, the Eagles are set to play Wales at Toyota Park in Bridgeview, Illinois.

Also commencing on June 6 and running through June 21, is the 2009 Churchill Cup. The location of this event has yet to be determined, but will most likely be finalized by late next week.

Shortly thereafter, the women's national team will host Canada in Glendale, Colorado. The US-A squad will take on Canada A on June 23, while the US women's national team will play an official Test against the Canadian women's national team on June 27.

Both games will be played at Glendale's Infinity Park.

Finally, the US men's national team will take on Canada on Saturday, July 4 at Blackbaud Stadium in Charleston, South Carolina, in what will mark the first of two World Cup qualifier matches.

Canada will host the second qualifier on July 11, at Ellerslie Rugby Park in Edmonton, Alberta.
    http://www.rugby365.com/all_news/1560702.htm
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be nice if ESPN were to show these. Fingers crossed.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Good stuff - they'll be expecting a sellout at the Ireland game

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    Good stuff - they'll be expecting a sellout at the Ireland game
    Right in ThunderChickens back yard too.

vCash
    Wow what a game - the ol fox O'Sullivan versus the might of Steak and Kidney complete with Grand Slam - should be a good outing for all, O' Sullivan will know enough about the opponents to give the Eagles an inside track

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    YEEEE HAWWWWW! San Jose in May!!!! God willing, I hope to be there! (Going to be lots of split loyalties, the Bay Area has a large Irish-American population-should be a barn-burner out on the town!) Facing top notch competition on a consistent basis is crucial to the Eagles' development. It may well be a painful learning experience, but hopefully it will pay off, galvanizing the team for the U.S.A. v. Canada in a World Cup qualifier on Independence Day - whew! Big Summer! C'mon Eddie O!!!!

Last edited by thunderchicken9; 19-03-09 at 06:11. Reason: lots of percodin!
    by and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth-george carlin:

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Surely an "Anything" American would have to cheer for the Eagles, Thunder?

They'd get kicked out otherwise wouldn't they?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Hah, yes, but Ireland's usually an exception, the ties to the Emerald Isle remain pretty strong - I'm sure there's some guy cranking out double-sided Irish Tri-Color/Stars and Stripes flags, as well as baseball caps, shirts, etc, for sale. BTW, Did you happen to see the huge number of Munster jerseys at last year's Eagle/Munster friendly? Lots of love for the Irish that day!

vCash
    Burgs been fair to our Yankie friends it is not only split loyalty - it's about top quality rugby - the USA team are definitely emerging but have yet to crack it - obviously this independence day test will be a big thing - until then you'll find many rugby followers in the US of A following a couple of teams will a paternal/maternal eye on the Eagles waiting for them to do it - like us before the

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    the USA team are definitely emerging but have yet to crack it
    That was a credible performance against Munster last time out, though. They had the lead for quite a while early on. Maybe a slightly understrength Wales or Ireland are there for the taking.

Hope the matches will be on ESPN again.

Last edited by shasta; 19-03-09 at 12:24.
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yes, but you weren't wearing an Ireland top to the first Force match either

I get it, I've just always been one that if I was to move to another country permanently I would move my allegiance with it, seems a bit two faced otherwise.
    Fortunately I can't see that dilemma occuring any time in the future for me.
    Each to their own I guess

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Yes, but you weren't wearing an Ireland top to the first Force match either

I get it, I've just always been one that if I was to move to another country permanently I would move my allegiance with it, seems a bit two faced otherwise.
    Fortunately I can't see that dilemma occuring any time in the future for me.
    Each to their own I guess
    Each to their own exactly. I've always thought that I'm an Aussie no matter where i live......Not that I can afford to live anywhere else in the World!

I would expect there to be a difference for somebody who moves out of disgust....or refugees.....or something like that, but many people move country just for work or stuff like that....even changes of citizenship can happen without a 'changing of allegiance'...I'm quite comfortable with the Saffers who support Australia any time except when they play South Africa......I find it to be a perfectly consistent way to be!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Each to their own exactly. I've always thought that I'm an Aussie no matter where i live...... I'm quite comfortable with the Saffers who support Australia any time except when they play South Africa......I find it to be a perfectly consistent way to be!
    It's no different than moving to another city. You support the team in your new city , except when they are playing your home town team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    It's no different than moving to another city. You support the team in your new city , except when they are playing your home town team.
    Wash your mouth out Larry!

That would mean I along with jargs, Swee, TIF and many other Force faithful would have to support the Tahs when the play our boys. Blechhhhhh!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Wash your mouth out Larry!

That would mean I along with jargs, Swee, TIF and many other Force faithful would have to support the Tahs when the play our boys. Blechhhhhh!
    There are exceptions to every rule. If you are originally from a city where the home team wears baby blue uniforms you should never support them no matter where you live.

vCash
    Hmm, this has turned in to quite an interesting discussion; for my part, I suppose everyone has their own reasons for supporting a club - as for the Irish in the USA, I think there's a lot of nostalgia involved - it's hard to properly explain (especially typing w/ one hand!) But anyone who's ever spent a St. Patrick's Day here could see that the Irish influence here remains HUGE - May 31st is going to be a great day!