Thread: Shepherd makes no bones about it

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Shepherd makes no bones about it

If noone else saw it there was a brief article about Shep in the Worst today. Talked a bit about his injuries and stuff. It appears he's looking to be ready for the Reds pre-season game but won't be going to Africa. He says he isn't going to be thinking/talking about contract renegotiations until after the season. God I hope the Force management pull their heads in and get him signed on for another 2 at least.

I also saw copies of the Line Break magazine in news agencies today.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Shepherd makes no bones about it

The West Australian January 2, 2010, 11:38 am

Michael O'Brien ©

The 2010 Super 14 season will be make or break for Cameron Shepherd - although break is not what the Western Force full-back will want to hear too often.

He desperately hopes his horror run of injuries is behind him and a strong season will get him back into contention for the No. 15 Wallaby jumper.

"This is probably the most crucial season I've ever faced," he said.

"The biggest thing on the radar now is to have a good solid Super 14 season and then to get back into the Wallabies.

"I've always said I want to be the Wallabies full-back and if I'm healthy I know I can give it a good crack."

Shepherd's shocking bad luck stretches back to April 2007 when he damaged his left knee in the Super 14 round-11 clash against the Brumbies and was forced to take a three-month lay-off.

He managed to fight his way back into the Wallabies World Cup squad and played against Canada in September. But the following July, in his first touch of the ball in the Test against France in Brisbane, he broke his left fibula in eight places and partly dislocated the ankle.

Seven screws and a plate were inserted.

He made a stunning comeback in round three of the 2009 Super 14 season with three tries against the Brumbies in Canberra but suffered another setback, tearing the meniscus in the left knee eight games later against the Bulls in Pretoria.

He has had four operations on the ankle and further surgery on the damaged knee.

Shepherd, 25, may not fly to South Africa with Force teammates for their trials against the Stormers and Sharks but hopes to face the Queensland Reds in the final warm-up, a week before the season kicks off on February 12 against the Brumbies at ME Bank Stadium.

"The broken bone was so nasty that initially we didn't know how much damage had been done to the ankle," he said.

"The ankle was slow to recover but it's the strongest it's ever been, the best since the original break, and I'm feeling great physically."

One of the biggest worries for the Force medical staff is that Shepherd pushes his recovery too hard.

"It's frustrating having to take your time but the guys have done a great job to get me this far and I don't want to aggravate anything now," he said.

"I'll just do whatever I have to do to get back."

He admits it has been pretty lonely in the gym.

"You spend a lot of time there and I find that particularly hard because you're not part of the team, you're only on the edge," he said.

"There were times when I couldn't watch the Wallaby games on TV, it was so frustrating. Mentally you can get to the point where you lose focus.

"You can lose sight of your goals and you have to drag yourself back in, but I think I've learnt to deal with the frustration, so success will mean more to me."

Shepherd will be in his last year of contract with the Force next season but said: "I won't even be thinking about any negotiations, probably not until the season is over.

"I just want to get out there and have a consistent season.

"That's going to be a main focus, not just for me but the whole team.

"We've got a great bunch of guys, plenty of young guys who are all having an input.

"It's the best pre-season the group has had since I've been at the Force."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ones-about-it/

vCash
    Looking forward to seeing cam Shep back on the field... strengthen up shep good luck for 2010...

vCash
    god i hope he stays fit this season.
    all the best shep!

vCash
    Very wise saying he's not thinking about contracts right now. With his injury run, he'll be poison to any S14 team, better to wait until he's stitched up the Wallaby 15 and then he can start using the Brumbies to ramp up his value!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    or.....He could say he wants to play mungos

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    or.....He could say he wants to play mungos

or could go to melbourne.............

vCash
    he could go north.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    he could go north.....
    Japan?

vCash
    Cameron comes across as genuinely good person. The Force gave him his first major break after having a bit of a worrying start at NSW with some minor off fileld issues, he has matured into a potential senior member of the leadership group, together with time and effort the Force medic staff have put in, I see him staying with us and remaining an integral part of the Force.

Here to a great year ahead, Cam

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Cameron comes across as genuinely good person. The Force gave him his first major break after having a bit of a worrying start at NSW with some minor off fileld issues, he has matured into a potential senior member of the leadership group, together with time and effort the Force medic staff have put in, I see him staying with us and remaining an integral part of the Force.

Here to a great year ahead, Cam
    its very noble, but in the face of a $500'000/year paycheck nobility flies out the window

not saying he will go, but crap like loyalty doesnt mean a whole lot in the professional age

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'd be a bit heart-broken if Shep left. I wouldn't blame him if he did but he has definitely been the most enjoyable Force player to watch since the franchise started. He says he still wants to play for the Wallabies so its really a toss up between the Force and the Tahs and I'd wager unless the Force do something really stupid he'll stay.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Rookie
    vCash
    At least we are getting Force stories in The Worst

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I'd be a bit heart-broken if Shep left. I wouldn't blame him if he did but he has definitely been the most enjoyable Force player to watch since the franchise started. He says he still wants to play for the Wallabies so its really a toss up between the Force and the Tahs and I'd wager unless the Force do something really stupid he'll stay.

lets hope they do the right thing by him

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by normie View Post
    Japan?
    NO - Scarborough.

Last edited by müdskipper; 04-01-10 at 12:33.
    [YOUTUBE]pBSixrh4G_4[/YOUTUBE]