Thread: Cost cuts put Super men on the bus

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Cost cuts put Super men on the bus

Cost cuts put Super men on the bus

By RICHARD KNOWLER - The Press | Tuesday, 24 February 2009

GROUNDED: The Crusaders got their first taste of the new directive for travelling squads to travel by bus instead of flying for shorter journeys when they travelled by bus from Canberra to Sydney.
    Related Links
    Advertisement

Sanzar's cost-cutting has forced Super 14 players and their management to sacrifice some creature comforts this season.

In a bid to save money, Sanzar, which pays the accommodation and travel costs for travelling squads, has ordered teams to travel by bus instead of flying for shorter journeys, and told management to fly economy instead of business class for longer legs such as those between South Africa and Australia.

Management coaches, doctors, managers, trainers and physiotherapists have also been instructed to share rooms while on the road.

The Crusaders got their first taste of the new directive when they travelled by bus from Canberra to Sydney on Sunday, instead of flying.

Flying between the cities usually takes 45 minutes, while travelling by road takes around three hours.

The arrangement was not ideal for the Crusaders, who have a short six-day turnaround before facing the Hurricanes at AMI Stadium on Friday night.

Teams usually do everything they can to minimise inconvenience for their players after games as they aim to get them home as quickly as possible to recover and rehabilitate from injuries.

New Zealand Rugby Players Association boss Rob Nichol said when his organisation was told by team managers earlier this year it asked for a "please explain" from Sanzar, but it did not change its mind.

Nichol said the RPA was concerned that team managers were forced to fly economy on the long hauls and immediately expected to work organising logistics and travel in a country like South Africa.

"We have got some sympathy with the managers there and it was a trade-off Sanzar decided to make on that topic," Nichol said.

While players share rooms, expecting managers, coaches and doctors to share living areas was not ideal. There was potential for such conditions to turn people off the jobs.

"These are mature people who are often married with kids and spend a lot of time away from home," he said.

"If we want to retain really good talent in these jobs we need to make sure the players and teams can perform at their peak.

"If we want the appropriate support around them, then we have to have the best people."

Nichol noted the arrangements had the potential to make it more difficult for teams to recover from injuries and prepare for matches.

While acknowledging travel and accommodation were a huge cost for Sanzar and all organisations were being squeezed financially by the credit crunch, Nichol questioned if the sacrifices were worth it.

"We have a number of valid reasons to query whether they will continue with it next year."

Crusaders chief executive Hamish Riach said the franchise had accepted Sanzar's decision. "The challenge is what it is. It's not a drama."

http://www.rugbyheaven.co.nz/4857943a22363.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I would have thought it would be up to the individual teams, not SANZAR, as to what they may want to spend monies on.
    If SANZAR only pay for a bus then the team pays the difference type thing.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I'd hate to see players' recovery compromised...

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    The Force will be coaching it from Canberra to Sydney next weekend also ...

vCash
    I remember seeing an article somewhere last week that mentioned that SANZAR puts up about 12m in Travelling costs, of which the SA teams take about 8m in view of the travelling their teams do.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    The train would surely be more comfortable than a bus (although I reckon it would b a luxury coach).....plenty of room to move around & also a bar!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    The Force will be coaching it from Canberra to Sydney next weekend also ...
    I would have thought by the time you've mucked about with a whole team checking in with all the associated baggage, a bus trip would be shorter and less hassle. They'd all have to get on a bus and off a bus both ends too if they flew.

Just happy to be here

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    I remember seeing an article somewhere last week that mentioned that SANZAR puts up about 12m in Travelling costs, of which the SA teams take about 8m in view of the travelling their teams do.
    Thanks Tazz.
    I would be surprised if any SA team pays more on travel than the Force though?
    Last year SA internal air travel seemed far cheaper than Australian internal air travel.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    The train would surely be more comfortable than a bus (although I reckon it would b a luxury coach).....plenty of room to move around & also a bar!!!
    That was exactly my first thought too.

Champion
    vCash
    Train is how most of the Top 14 teams get around France

vCash
    Having seen French trains, they're more comfy than some planes. Plus as TEF points out, no getting to out-of-town airport, checking in, blah, blah...

And having flown business class once, I'm not sure it's worth the extra money. Sure, you get more legroom, nicer food and free-flowing alcohol. Only 2 of these help you arrive in a better state (!) and if you have to 'sleep' next to a fat snoring businessman like I did, the extra space hardly seems worth it.

Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!