Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pocock at the heart of Wallabies win

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Pocock at the heart of Wallabies win

WELLINGTON, 9 Oct. - Australia somehow turned a spluttering lineout, an embattled scrum and minimal territory into an 11-9 win over South Africa and a place in the semi-finals of Rugby World Cup 2011.

When referee Bryce Lawrence blew for full-time the Wallabies had their error-forcing defence and especially man-of-the-match David Pocock to thank for dethroning the defending champions. The flanker's heroic work at the breakdown saved them time after time when South Africa were on the attack.

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans described Pocock's contribution as "immense".

"His game was remarkable and it was bigger than he got credit for," added Deans.

The Australians were forced to make 147 tackles to South Africa's 53 as the Springboks sent wave after wave of big, powerful runners at their line.

"I'm really, really proud with the way the guys fought. It was a huge effort that took everything we needed. I'm just really stoked," said their captain and sole try scorer James Horwill.

"We got the result we deserved on the back of a massive effort from the whole group. Moving forward that's what it's going to take."

Handling errors

Aside from Pocock's crucial turnovers, South Africa were hampered by making too many mistakes in potential try-scoring situations under defensive pressure and will rue their 11 handling errors in the match. They also missed their main breakdown warrior, Heinrich Brüssow, who came off after 20 minutes.

South Africa had 84 per cent of the territory in the first half and 55 per cent of possession but still managed to trail 8-3 at the interval after Horwill scored from a Springboks mistake 11 minutes in and James O'Connor and Morné Steyn landed penalties at either end.

By full-time the possession pendulum had swung slightly in Australia's favour but the Springboks had still enjoyed 76 per cent of the territory for the match for no reward.
    Springboks coach Peter de Villiers, who announced he was standing down after four years in charge, described the mood in the South Africa dressing room as "three notches lower than a funeral".

"The guys are quiet. We never expected this," he said.

"Quarter-finals, semi-finals, finals, you have got to take your chances. It didn't go our way, we didn't take all our chances. Well done to them, the few they got they took and beat us fairly on the scoreboard."

Dominant performance
    Springboks captain John Smit, retiring from rugby after 111 Tests, said losing after such a dominant performance was a "sad way to end it".

"It's the first time I have lost a game on the scoreboard and won it every other way from a stats point of view so it makes it even harder to accept," he added.

"We did enough to win this game but we just were not good enough."

Australia's lineout was at the root of much of their problems. The Wallabies lost five of their 13 throws, usually to that wily interpreter of opposition tactics at the set piece, Victor Matfield.

Matfield is also hanging up his boots after 110 Tests and he was also hugely disappointed at how it all ended for his team.

"There were so many opportunities it was heartbreaking," he said.

Despite their superiority it was a penalty awarded for a South African infringement at a lineout that enabled Wallabies wing O'Connor to kick the winning goal.

Australia's scrum was often under pressure and it was only good work at the back by number 8 Radike Samo that enabled them to clear the ball. But it did not provide a solid enough platform for the backs.

Epic encounter

Nevertheless, the Wallabies eight restricted the damage to a single penalty at the scrum, in contrast to the huge problems Ireland had caused them in the pool phase.
    Wallabies fly half Quade Cooper had a tentative match and the team's kicking in general play was often poor, putting the pressure back on themselves.

Deans agreed Cooper did not have one of his best nights but said he and the whole team would be better for the experience.

The match was no free-flowing try fest for the 34,914 crowd but Deans insisted they had been treated to a spectacle all the same.

"We saw an epic World Cup encounter. Different, but that's what makes this game what it is," the coach said.

"What you saw was the most experienced World Cup side in the world really turn the screws on the youngest. So, as James (Horwill) said, the boys came of age in terms of the way they accepted that challenge and stood up to it.

"I've got no doubt that the next couple of weeks will be the best World Cup rugby we've ever seen because the bar just keeps going up in terms of the capability of the sides."

Australia full back Kurtley Beale (hamstring) and inside centre Pat McCabe (shoulder) both came off but Deans said their condition would be easier to assess in another 48 hours.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/ma.../analysis.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Article was very diplomatic of their assessment of Coopers Performance.
    Quite simply he was shit.
    Bryce lawrence makes Stu Dickinson look good.

vCash
    Coopers performance is quite simply described as the the look he always has on his face:

DERP!

vCash
    If all goes well and we make the finals, I think we should make a gentleman's agreement with Wales that should we win, they take Julie Gillard back with them

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    why ? what did wales ever do to deserve that ? :p

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    WELLINGTON, 9 Oct. - Australia somehow turned a spluttering lineout, an embattled scrum and minimal territory into an 11-9 win over South Africa and a place in the semi-finals of Rugby World Cup 2011.

When referee Bryce Lawrence blew for full-time the Wallabies had their error-forcing defence and especially man-of-the-match David Pocock to thank for dethroning the defending champions. The flanker's heroic work at the breakdown saved them time after time when South Africa were on the attack.

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans described Pocock's contribution as "immense".

"His game was remarkable and it was bigger than he got credit for," added Deans.
    Interesting. If Richie McCaw had done what Bambam did we'd all be calling him a cheating mofo, or words along those lines. That he's one of us makes him a God.

Like I've said before, the really great players will find out what they can get away with and keep doing that until they get penalised. In the Springbok game, the ref seemed not to require the tackler, or tackle assist, to release the tackled player. So Bambam didn't. And got the good old-fashioned "jackel" that is techinically illegal these day, depending upon the ref, of course.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Neither team can use Lawrence or his interpretations as an excuse. He reffed us both in Durban and it was abundantly clear that he was aversive to giving breakdown penalties (see the final minute of the first half where Habana and Steyn were lying all over the ball and not rolling away resulting in an 'unplayable' ball) or penalties in general.

Sure we would have been hating on McCaw if he had done what Pocock had done but we would have been more so hating on our backline if they could only turn that much territory into 9 points.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Interesting. If Richie McCaw had done what Bambam did we'd all be calling him a cheating mofo, or words along those lines. That he's one of us makes him a God..
    so....why are you stating the obvious....McCaw IS a bloody cheat and Bam DOES walk on water!

C'mon the

vCash
    Bryce won us the game

The bokke scored a try that was pulled back for a "forward pass"

God smiled on us

Controversy corner

Senior Player
    vCash
    I think all refs have been asked to pull their collective heads in and let the game flow. All quarter finals have been significantly less affected by pedantic interpretations of the law which only serve to spoil the spectacle. Poey realised that early and adjusted his game accordingly. Touch judges have also been turning a blind eye to indiscretions esp offside play. They must be under the same instruction.

vCash
    Apparently, at the instigation of team management or the ARU, Lawrence's performance in the Ireland match was reviewed. He was widely slated in the media for it. Rightly so. IIRC, he admitted getting 3 scrum penalties wrong. I think we picked up a couple of favorable decisions on Sunday, possibly because of that. I know that will be cold comfort for South Africa, but I thought the bad decisions were even over the 80 mins.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Is this what you're talking about Shasta?
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226161549523

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    The bokke scored a try that was pulled back for a "forward pass"
    It was a pass that went forward. Just like the one a few minutes before.

It's quite refreshing to see these "50/50" calls actually being called accurately.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Is this what you're talking about Shasta?
    Well sort of. Memory gets a bit foggy these days but I recall a report somewhere that an official query on that performance had been sent through official channels. The players, OTOH, were being sensibly diplomatic and saying the complete opposite of what they really think.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post

It's quite refreshing to see these "50/50" calls actually being called accurately.
    Exactly.

Any thoughts about the J P Peterson coat hanger on Beale under a high ball? He disguised it well but I'da thought one of the three officials would have seen it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast