Thread: Faingaa Twins Both Run On For First Time

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Faingaa Twins Both Run On For First Time

They’ve spent their entire professional rugby career together but Friday night’s QR Reds Investec Bank Super 14 match against the Crusaders will be the first time twin brothers Saia and Anthony Faingaa will have started a match together.

Saia has played in 40 games and Anthony 10 during their Investec Bank Super 14 careers at both the Brumbies and Reds, but they have yet to run out for the opening whistle at the same time.

“That’s the most exciting thing. This is the first game we have actually started together,” Saia Faingaa told reporters at Ballymore today.

“This is very memorable for us and our family is flying up for it.”

Friday is also a proud individual moment for the hooker, who after 13 games off the bench for the Reds gets his first chance to start after durable hooker Sean Hardman was ruled out with an ankle injury.

“It’s a new era for me and hopefully I can improve and get better, and hopefully retain the starting position,” he said.

Faingaa said starting the match would allow him to prepare and hit the deck running, rather than coming into a game part way through and risk rushing things in order to make an impact in the time available.

“(When you’re on the bench) you come out and overplay your hand,” he said.

“When you’re starting you can do whatever you want really and this week I can hopefully just play my game rather then try to do any extra stuff.”

In his second year with the team Faingaa is thriving under the guidance of former World Cup winning prop and now head coach Ewen McKenzie, who understands the importance of achieving superiority up front.

“We have a sound team and we are performing well, it is just a couple of micro-things we need to tune and we’re on the right track to be successful," Faingaa said.

“If we just play our own game and work on our defence like we have been, hopefully we can put a good effort in again and come away with the win.”

QR Reds team to play the Crusaders at Suncorp on Friday night (from fullback): Peter Hynes (GPS), Digby Ioane (Sunnybank), Morgan Turinui (Sunshine Coast), Anthony Faingaa (Souths), Rod Davies (GPS), Quade Cooper (Souths), Will Genia (Norths), Scott Higginbotham (Wests), Daniel Braid (Sunshine Coast), Jake Schatz (Sunnybank), James Horwill (University), Adam Byrnes (University), Laurie Weeks (University), Saia Faingaa (Souths), Ben Daley (Gold Coast). Reserves: James Hanson (University), Greg Holmes (Sunnybank), Robert Simmons (Sunnybank), Leroy Houston (Sunnybank), Richard Kingi (Sunnybank), Tim Walsh (club TBC) Will Chambers (club TBC)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Saia needs to stand up, his performance off the bench have been nothing short of craptastic, James Hanson(reserve hooker) is younger then Saia and he looks very good, i dont think it will take long before Hanson becomes the Reds second string hooker.

However i am more then happy to be proven wrong, hopefully what he says about overplaying his hand is true.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Have to agree TOCC, I rated Saia a fair development Hooker at Canberra for a young bloke, but have been fairly underwhelmed since he has been given his chance.
    Keep hearing good things about Hanson, hopefully he gets some match time while Hardman is out.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    At the trial most of the Reds squad looked extremely fit. None more than Turinui (he could have a really good season I reckon). Saia does not look up to that mark and I'd wonder how long he'll go before they have to sub on the third string. Hope he can prove me wrong and the Reds get a win.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    At the trial most of the Reds squad looked extremely fit. None more than Turinui (he could have a really good season I reckon). Saia does not look up to that mark and I'd wonder how long he'll go before they have to sub on the third string. Hope he can prove me wrong and the Reds get a win.
    leroy has dropped 12kgs apparently

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    That could be interesting! Anytime he ever lost weight it never seemed to go far, but perhaps Link has been a bit more effective. I've always wondered what Leroy might be capable of if properly motivated...

vCash
    the Reds signed former Brumbies strenght and conditioning coach as well as one of the Geelong Cats strength and conditioning coaches in the offseason. So it looks like they may be paying off.

QLD teams in recent years have been quite poor in the fitness department

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    That could be interesting! Anytime he ever lost weight it never seemed to go far, but perhaps Link has been a bit more effective. I've always wondered what Leroy might be capable of if properly motivated...
    Link has been eating Leroy's donuts - that should keep Leroy nice and trim.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Hungry hungry Houston, snapping up the loose ball...

vCash
    Both Boys had great matches... well done...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Saia was still a bit of a concern at the lineout but great around the park and I imagine that would be Anthony's best match ever, pushing for MOM honours.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.