Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: England keeps campaign alive

vCash

England keeps campaign alive

From Julian Guyer in Nantes, France

September 23, 2007

ENGLAND defeated Samoa 44-22 in the Rugby World Cup Pool A match in Nantes today to get its campaign back on track.

Fly-half Jonny Wilkinson, playing his first Rugby World Cup match since the 2003 final, kicked 24 points, while captain Martin Corry scored two tries at either end of a match in which England's lead had been cut to just four points early in the second half.

Wing Paul Sackey also grabbed a brace, including a last-minute score that gave England a bonus point for scoring four tries.

England now faces a winner-takes-all clash with Tonga in Paris on Friday to decide who qualifies from Pool A with South Africa.

But Samoa's third successive defeat ended its hopes of a place in the last eight.

England, which had struggled to assert itself during the unconvincing 28-10 win against the US and the 36-0 thrashing by South Africa - the team's record Rugby World Cup defeat - scored a try as early as the second minute.

Lock Simon Shaw charged down Samoa fly-half Eliota Fuimano-Sapolu's kick and flanker Joe Worsley regathered but was held up short of the line.

England stretched the Samoa defence left and right before blindside flanker Corry, leading the side in place of suspended prop Phil Vickery, drove over.

Wilkinson, fit after an ankle problem, converted for his first Rugby World Cup points since landing the winning drop goal in the final four years ago.

England, with scrum half Andy Gomarsall distributing well, maintained its early dominance and a sixth-minute forward surge was rewarded by a Wilkinson drop goal.

But Samoa hit back with two penalties from Loki Crichton, playing at full back in place of the injured Gavin Williams.

Wilkinson then kicked two more penalties before playing a crucial role in England's second try.

His clever grubber kick split the Samoa defence and Sackey was first to the touch down before Wilkinson converted

But Crichton rewarded Samoa's pressure late in the first-half with two more penalties to reduce England's lead to 23-12 at the break.

Crichton again made no mistake as Samoa scored the first points of the second-half, after Wilkinson was penalised for obstruction.

Wilkinson made amends moments later, landing a penalty after being tackled high by Samoa centre Brian Lima.

Samoa then cut England's lead with a controversial try.

Hooker Mahonri Schawager broke clear and his chip ahead led to a race between Polu and covering centre Mathew Tait for the touchdown.

Video referee Bryce Lawrence needed several minutes before awarding Samoa a score, which looked far from clear cut, and Crichton, maintaining his perfect record, added the conversion to leave England just four points clear at 26-22.

Wilkinson, who had pulled a penalty wide of the right post, stretched England's lead to seven points after a sustained spell of Samoa pressure with his second drop goal in the 68th minute.

And he crucially put England two scores ahead with just nine minutes remaining when he kicked a penalty from the halfway line.

Then, with time running out, Corry showed good handling skills to collect Sackey's pass for a converted try, which put England out of sight at 39-22, before Sackey raced in for the bonus point.

Agence France-Presse

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I hope England are really happy with that performance and think they have turned the chariot around.
    They were shit!!!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I was at Snow Patrol which from the sounds of it was a much better use of my time. I'm going to watch the replay tomorrow but i did catch the end of the commentators who didn't sound too impressed

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    I hope England are really happy with that performance and think they have turned the chariot around.
    They were shit!!!
    All comes down to England vs Tonga One team is playing really good rugby the other is England

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna

From Julian Guyer in Nantes, France

September 23, 2007

Fly-half Jonny Wilkinson, playing his first Rugby World Cup match since the 2003 final, kicked 24 points, Agence France-Presse

KICKED.

thats not rugby, if i was in a team playing england i wouldnt rest until i had severly injured that man. even if it got me banned. it would be worth it...

vCash
    i hope england get through. and i hope that when playing australia we legally injure as many of their players as possible. a few more mortlock on the welsh captain(dont know his name. hes not important enough) would be good of they were on a more painful scale!

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    England have lost the plot. Tonga were tremendous against the Boks. They have the momentum, England are old and stale and im loving it. Perth/Baysie would give the Poms a run.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    Alive, but on life support. It's disappointing. I can't even enjoy the awful state they're in, because they know it full well. It's like kicking an injured dog

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by |jono|
    if i was in a team playing england i wouldnt rest until i had severly injured that man. even if it got me banned. it would be worth it...
    We did do a pretty good job in the 2003 final....jonny hasn't been right since. That guy has had so many 'come backs' i'm actually feeling slightly sorry for him

vCash

Jonny replaces Lynagh in record book

Jonny replaces Lynagh in record book

From correspondents in Nantes, France
    September 23, 2007

JONNY Wilkinson became the second-highest points score in Rugby World Cup history by notching 24 points against Samoa in nantes, France, overnight.

In his first game of this Rugby World Cup, the Newcastle fly-half moved passed Australia legend Michael Lynagh's total of 195 by landing three conversions, two drop goals and four penalties.

Wilkinson now has 206 Rugby World Cup points, just 21 points short of leading all-time points scorer Scottish full-back Gavin Hastings.

The England fly-half has scored one try, 20 conversions, 42 penalties and nine drop goals in 11 matches at three Rugby World Cup tournaments.

Agence France-Presse

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "one try" sums it up, I'd take Noddy any day.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    You mean you're supposed to score tries in Rugby?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    You mean you're supposed to score tries in Rugby?
    Not having a go BUT in it's origin form of the game a try was only scored so you could have an attempt to kick a goal, thus the term "try", a chance to "try" for a goal. Points were only awarded for the scoring of goals, not "try's" (or tries as the case maybe?)

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    We did do a pretty good job in the 2003 final....jonny hasn't been right since. That guy has had so many 'come backs' i'm actually feeling slightly sorry for him

i dont. he should bow out quietly. hopefully we can do a better job this time around!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr
    Not having a go BUT in it's origin form of the game a try was only scored so you could have an attempt to kick a goal, thus the term "try", a chance to "try" for a goal. Points were only awarded for the scoring of goals, not "try's" (or tries as the case maybe?)

Used to have the Imperial system and shit carts in back alleys too TIF

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast