Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Connolly justifies changes

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Connolly justifies changes

Connolly justifies changes

May 30, 2007 - 2:05pm
    Story by: Sportal

Qantas Wallabies head coach John Connolly has reiterated his commitment to pushing Australia back up with the game's leading nations and maintained that building a deeper player pool is fundamental to that objective.

HANG ON HANG ON!!! Didn't you just say this morning that assuming results went our way and we moved to 2nd we would be "justifiably there"??? Doesn't that mean in your view we already are "up with the game's leading nations"?
    Get on with winning the World Cup Knuckles and stop using spin to justify your misconcieved selections and directions. You can be as holistic as you like in your spin but your role (and your legacy) will be measured purely on what position Australia achieves in France.

Connolly's starting XV for this Saturday's clash with Wales in Brisbane included five personnel changes from the side which pipped the visitors in Sydney over the weekend including debutant Digby Ioane on the wing.

Dan Vickerman, George Smith and 22-year-old Benn Robinson are also promoted to the run-on side while flyhalf Stephen Larkham is deemed fit enough to replace Waratahs utility Sam Norton-Knight.

But Connolly resisted any temptation to tinker with the backline further meaning Matt Giteau starts ahead of George Gregan and Adam Ashley-Cooper keeps his place in the centres.

"It's no good only giving Giteau one Test at half-back last week for argument's sake. It's no good not persevering with Adam Ashley-Cooper at 12 or 13," Connolly argued.

Fullback Julian Huxley was also given a vote of confidence in the 15 jumper in spite of a nervous start to his international career last weekend.

But the Wallabies boss is determined to continue his policy of blooding new faces throughout the winter Test schedule, particularly given his half his current 30-man squad are aged under 25.

Indeed Connolly already has one eye on a punishing 2008 Test program and is not prepared to shirk his long-term aim of establishing a strong reserve of international-calibre players.

"We're looking forward to the World Cup but we're also looking forward … to 10 massive Tests against tier one countries in 12 weeks straight on the back of the Super 14," said Connolly, who added that that squad rotation is considered the norm in South Africa and New Zealand.

"Australia, with a couple of trials and maybe a semi-final for the Super 14 sides, could have 30 games virtually on the bounce."

"You're not going to get through that with the same 15 players. You need that depth and it's something we haven't paid a lot of attention to at times in Australia."

"We're working towards that."

Wallabies attack coach Scott Johnson backed up Connolly's approach and maintained it was part of the bigger picture of rediscovering the unique Australian style of playing rugby.

"We want to make a squad that's able to just switch and change if need be. It's the reality of the modern game," he said.

The pair has already hinted at further team changes for the following weekend's encounter with Fiji in Perth with Lote Tuqiri expected to resume his place on the wing against the country of his birth.

"We're delighted with his progress," said Connolly of Tuqiri. "He's trained very well and he'll be back on board next week and will play all the Tri-Nations."

Reds lock Hugh McMeniman could also come back in the second row after an ankle injury prematurely ended his Super 14 season.

Marc Fox

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Couldn't agree with you more Burgs. Couldn't agree with you more...

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Knuckles your a joke

vCash
    I cannot fathom this man, I really can't. I have an aweful foreboding for RWC France and it is all down to Knuckles.

vCash
    I hope i am wrong but i think forget France and look forward to 2011

vCash
    You're all a bunch of cynics - you would be crucifying him in a couple of months if he didn't have backups at 9,10 and 12 and everywhere else - not knocking the Welsh either but this is not a first string side - if they can't get it together against this side then there is no hope

Let him look for a couple of combinations - depth is crucial - the RWC is a long campaign (I'm guessing that is why every country is sending team B - to get them some match time)

This weekend Aus will win by 15 and if Larkham is playing 30 - the way these modern tourements are played is just exposing the fact that 15 brilliant players don't just start playing together brilliantly - they need match time against Outer Samoa Highlanders to get the combinations together and recognize the strengths and weaknesses in each others game -

Last weeks performance was done on the strength of 1 full training session together - this week will be different

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    I spent ages printing a reply then computer crashed, spewing...
    Basically what i had to say was that connollys style and justification of selections have been the catalyst for our cynicism, and hopefully he can prove us wrong come world cup time, but until then the choices he is making (and selectors), and the way he goes about making those choices lead us all to be a bit nervous and cynical....
    Sure it was the first game of the Test season, but you'd expect better from the best 22 in the country...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Yep - if there's one person who needs a spin doctor then it's Connolly - but I hope I'm seeing the beginning of a cunning master plan - that will lead to Aus V Ireland Final (and a divorce in this household ! )

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone
    You're all a bunch of cynics - you would be crucifying him in a couple of months if he didn't have backups at 9,10 and 12 and everywhere else - not knocking the Welsh either but this is not a first string side - if they can't get it together against this side then there is no hope

Let him look for a couple of combinations - depth is crucial - the RWC is a long campaign (I'm guessing that is why every country is sending team B - to get them some match time)

This weekend Aus will win by 15 and if Larkham is playing 30 - the way these modern tourements are played is just exposing the fact that 15 brilliant players don't just start playing together brilliantly - they need match time against Outer Samoa Highlanders to get the combinations together and recognize the strengths and weaknesses in each others game -

Last weeks performance was done on the strength of 1 full training session together - this week will be different
    Well said.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    It was well said, but i believe we still have a right to be cynical as the team which played would never have been a team any of us would have picked based on supr 14 form...

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by frontrow
    It was well said, but i believe we still have a right to be cynical as the team which played would never have been a team any of us would have picked based on supr 14 form...
    Not saying you can't be cynical mate, just saying TQ1 made a good point and it was well put.

Just happy to be here

Apprentice
    vCash
    The more time goes on, the more I think that John Connolly must have a cunning strategy. I'm only speculating though. After all, I've never coached an amateur rugby side, let alone a Super 12 team or a national team - who am I to criticise???
    Oh, and if you want to see what a real Connolly critic thinks, check this out:
    http://the-riotact.com/?p=5005

vCash
    Excellent read, agreed with everything said on that forum...

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by frontrow
    I spent ages printing a reply then computer crashed, spewing...
    That happened to me as well.

Basically my reply was: yeah it's fine for Connolly to want back-ups but he should worry about getting the first choice 15 working good and then worry about back-ups. The problem is that we are 6 tests away from the World Cup and this is not the time to try brand new combos or people out of position. Most of the direct criticism of Connolly that I've seen is more about the way he has gone about it and that each statement he makes seems to contradict a previous one. If he were to come out now and say we are playing Giteau at halfback for the tests and the World Cup. I'd say, bad choice, but you're the coach so as long as we win. However, he's basically trying Giteau at halfback now to see how it goes. If it goes well he may play there, if not back to centre. So what happens then, we waste him playing at halfback for seven tests on the chance it may work out and then for the World Cup he goes back to centre and now the backline has to get back in sync with each other. The better choice would be to play them now where you intend to play them in the World Cup. And if you aren't sure where you will play someone then play them at their usual position. Stop wasting time so close to the World Cup.

vCash
    Knuckels your still a joke

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast