Thread: Take captaincy off Elsom: Horan

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

Take captaincy off Elsom: Horan

Wallabies great Tim Horan believes Robbie Deans should relieve Rocky Elsom of the Test captaincy so the injured flanker can return to his rampaging best for the Rugby World Cup.

Horan fears Elsom's recurring hamstring troubles and the "burden" of leadership will prevent the Australian skipper being the back-row force he needs to be to lift the World Cup.

Elsom has missed the first six weeks of Super Rugby this season and is not expected to return to action until the Brumbies face the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein in round 11 (April 29).
    Advertisement: Story continues below

The 28-year-old would then have six matches to prove himself worthy of his Wallabies No.6 jersey, but Horan said there would be a question mark over his form and fitness at the start of the Test season against Samoa on July 17.

The 80-Test back and former Wallabies selector felt a naturally "insular" Elsom, crowned the European player of 2008-09 after a barnstorming season with Leinster, was inhibited by leadership in 2010 and needed the extra weight taken off his shoulders.

"I believe the captaincy burdens Rocky too much," Horan told AAP.

"The only way I think you see the best from Rocky Elsom is when he doesn't have the (c) or (vc) next to his name.

"I want to see the same Rocky Elsom that played over in the UK.

"If I was Robbie Deans I'd be giving the leadership to a couple of other players and let Rocky get back into form because, to win the World Cup, you need Rocky Elsom to be playing at 100 per cent."

Horan would rather Queensland duo Will Genia and James Horwill take the reins, allowing Elsom to deal with the pressure of retaining his Test spot ahead of Force forward Ben McCalman and Reds flanker Scott Higginbotham.

Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan denied Elsom was struggling in his recovery and hoped to see him back for round nine against the Western Force.

But it appears the most realistic return date is during the Brumbies two-match trip to South Africa after a week 10bye.

While Fagan was confident Elsom would take little time to return to his best, Horan said the late return and risk of aggravating the recurring problem left a cloud over his Test place.

"At best he's only going to play five or six games and is that enough to get him where you want him at the start of the Test season," Horan said.

"I'm sure he's good enough to play for the Wallabies and be captain but is that a distraction to him and preventing him from being the best player he can be."

http://www.watoday.com.au/breaking-n...326-1camt.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Horwill and Genia to take the reins? Way to slap the best forward Australia has in the face......he also happens to be the most passionate and effective Super Rugby captain in Australia ATM

Before you jump up and down, let me submit my evidence.
    Western Force - Nathan Sharpe: increased consistency and competitiveness in the team, still a realistic chance of upsetting the competition leaders this weekend.
    Waratahs - Phil Waugh, injured, replaced by Dean Mumm (I think) the Tahs lost to the Cheetahs in an atrocious display of bumbling ineptitude, added to that Phil won't make the Wallabies Squad, and Mumm won't take the field in any important games.
    Rebels - Stirling Mortlock, inconsistent, but showing some promise when things are going for them. Stirling recently lost the Wallabies Captaincy.....why? I'm not convinced he'll be fit to make RWC
    Brumbies - Stephen Hoiles, not a Wallaby, injured, replaced by Matt Giteau, shouldn't be a Wallaby, the team sucks ass big time this year
    Reds - James Horwill, injured, replaced by Will Genia, regardless of who is in charge, the Reds have been disorganized this year. Both will make the Wallabies, Genia might struggle to keep his spot if Luke Burgess plays well.

So that sorts out the Super Rugby captains, who else is out there who would do a better job than Sharpie (or Bam)

C'mon the

vCash
    No brainer I agree. You need an experienced campaigner as Captain at the RWC which is after all the holy grail. You don't want an experimental last minute option, just someone that can step into the brief with knowledge and the respect of the team/management/fans. Little too soon for Bam Bam IMO, but definitely a Captain in waiting.

Last edited by SinBin; 26-03-11 at 10:01.

vCash
    that's suggesting that elsom gets a spot in the world cup though.
    he is an oxygen thief as a captain. and he hasn't played yet. and at best will only have 6 weeks to prove he is worthy of a spot.

benny, bam, brown and hodgo will be in the squad. it would be an absolute joke if they weren't.
    as well as higgers, maybe palu, even MAYBE rodney blake if he keeps his work up.

but to give horwill the captaincy is insane.
    IMO he shouldn't be the captain of the reds this season.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    He shouldn't be dropped as Captain to improve his game (as basically suggested in the article) he should be dropped because he has been a poor choice as Captain, has been out of form prior to injury, is not an automatic selection if fit and does not deserve the privilege of selection table amnesty.

You only have to look at the Mortlock post match interview last night, or any of Sharpies interviews, to start identifying Elsoms deficiencies.

The next generation leadership team is C- Pocock, VC- Genia, however, if not deemed ready until post RWC then Sharpe, as a past Wallaby Captain to boot, is your man to guide them through the next seven months.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Elsom will need to have an extremely good S15 and test campaign to even make the Wallaby starting side, let alone captain it. He's already shown that he's very obviously not the best choice skipper. His competitors for the blindside flank, Hodgo, Brownie and Higginbotham, have been on fire and Jarrod Saffy is improving by the minute. With his excellent work rate, stinging defense and strong ball carries he could come into contention if he continues the trend.

Elsom will get his chances if he shows enough, but he's far from a lay down misere.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I believe that Elsom was offered the captaincy as a deal sweetner to come back to Australia. How else do you explain some one who was playing in europe slots back in to the wallabies, but has the C as well
    Posted via Mobile Device

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    You'd wonder why though X, he appears a reluctant leader at best.
    Looks good on the resume I guess.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player
    vCash

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    He shouldn't be dropped as Captain to improve his game (as basically suggested in the article) he should be dropped because he has been a poor choice as Captain, has been out of form prior to injury, is not an automatic selection if fit and does not deserve the privilege of selection table amnesty.

You only have to look at the Mortlock post match interview last night, or any of Sharpies interviews, to start identifying Elsoms deficiencies.

The next generation leadership team is C- Pocock, VC- Genia, however, if not deemed ready until post RWC then Sharpe, as a past Wallaby Captain to boot, is your man to guide them through the next seven months.
    Yeah, what he said!!

vCash
    SHARPIE FOR CAPTAIN...SHARPIE FOR CAPTAIN...SHARPIE FOR CAPTAIN....!!!! Nothing more to be said.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    SHARPIE FOR CAPTAIN...SHARPIE FOR CAPTAIN...SHARPIE FOR CAPTAIN....!!!! Nothing more to be said.....
    I doubt very much if sharpies not getting a full aru contract, they aint going to make him captain....
    Posted via Mobile Device

Champion
    vCash
    SHARPIE FOR TOP UP AND CAPTAIN......SHARPIE FOR TOP UP AND CAPTAIN