Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Applause for Shawn Mackay at Subi on Fri Night..lets hope so!

Champion
    vCash

Thumbs up Applause for Shawn Mackay at Subi on Fri Night..lets hope so!

The crowd at the Brumbies v Western Stormers game on Saturday Afternoon will have a minutes applause to celebrate the life of Shawn Mackay before the kick off

SHOULD WE DO THIS ON FRIDAY NIGHT INSTEAD OF SILENCE?

Lets hope so!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I appreciate your sentiments, and respect your motives, but it's a tad too contrived and theatrical for mine.

vCash
    I wonder if the players have black armbands organised? Anyone know?

EDIT

Found out that they are. Good.

Last edited by robyn <3; 08-04-09 at 16:29. Reason: I found something out

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm guessing there is black electrical tape a plenty knocking about for those that wish to wrap some on...

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    I appreciate your sentiments, and respect your motives, but it's a tad too contrived and theatrical for mine.
    You are kidding, it is a more than worthy response from the Rugby public for what he has done for the game

vCash
    Nobody said your suggestion is a bad one. It's all a matter of personal perspective I suppose.

I prefer the traditional minute's silence, that's all.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    A celebration of life (applause) or a mourning of death (silence)!? It’s all up to the those friends and family affected namely his family and team!

Since the Brumbies are doing it I guess they are going for the Celebration of Life which given the current climate I would assume has been sanctioned by his family?

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    I'm all for applauding him and celebrating his life but if it has already been decided by RugbyWA that its going to be a minutes silence then a few people applauding during that minute is likely to seem disrespectful.
    However, if RugbyWA make an announcement to hold a minutes applause then go for it.

---------- Post added at 18:33 ---------- Previous post was at 18:16 ----------

Brumbies ready to honour teammate Mackay
    AAP - April 8, 2009, 4:47 pm

Win, lose or draw, Brumbies captain Stephen Hoiles says Saturday's Super 14 clash with the Stormers in Canberra will be about celebrating the life of Shawn Mackay.

The Brumbies trained for the first time on Wednesday since learning of Mackay's death on Monday.

As a tribute to Mackay, the players will wear black arm bands for the rest of the season, while there will also be a minute's applause at this Saturday's match.

Mackay, 26, died in a Durban hospital as a result of complications stemming from injuries he sustained when he was hit by a car following the Brumbies' loss to the Sharks in South Africa almost two weeks ago.

Hoiles, who knew Mackay since their primary school days in Sydney's eastern suburbs, said the squad was still reeling from the shock of losing a mate.

"Everyone's doing it pretty tough, which is understandable," he said.

"I've been thinking about it a fair bit, they're the tough times ... and that will continue for a long, long time."

Hoiles and Mackay played for the first XV at Sydney's Waverley College and Hoiles was Mackay's captain at Randwick club as well as at the Brumbies.

Brumbies coach Andy Friend said earlier in the week that it would be understandable if some of the players did not feel up to playing against the Stormers.

But Hoiles said the players would want to play the Canberra Stadium match.

"This group's got an enormous amount of character, and my gut feeling is that after speaking to a few guys, that everyone really wants to play."

"That's what we do, we play football."

"And I think just the fact that it's something to focus on ... and to put in a good performance for the whole community that's been affected from this I think will be a pretty special thing.

"Win, lose or draw, I think they're going to do everyone really proud this weekend."

Hoiles was back in Canberra with a number of other injured members of the squad when Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan told him of Mackay's death on Monday.

"I got told it was pretty critical, and then about an hour later that it was getting very serious.

"And then he just called me into his office and he didn't have to say anything. As soon as he called me in I knew just by looking at his face that something serious had happened."

Hoiles said he felt for the members of the squad who were in South Africa when Mackay was hit by a car in the early hours of the morning, as he and other players were returning to the team hotel after a night out.

"From a selfish point of view, I'm quite glad I wasn't there to see what happened and see how it happened.

"We've all lost the same mate and we're all going to be hurting as much, but I really feel for the guys that were there and had to go through it."

The team came together on Thursday for a weights session and training run, and to go through some footage of the Stormers, but their minds are unlikely to stray too far from thoughts of their mate whose life was cut short.

"He was quite a recognisable bloke, a big tall fella with his big smile and his blond hair standing out in the pub."

"He could have been in Japan or Italy on a six figure salary, but he chose to come to Canberra to start a new life and find an extended family, and that one decision sums him up."

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/new...eammate-mackay[COLOR="Silver"]

vCash
    I've no read it reported but I'm sure the Brumbies would have asked Shawn's family for direction about Saturdays game... Shawn is more than worthy as a great Australian sportsman... He was only new to the Brumbies but I think he had become an important member of the squad in the preseason with the boys while the Wallabies Brumbies were in the northern hemisphere...

I think any show of respect is wonderful, perhaps Australian teams could at home pay their respects with rounded appreciation... for a worthy life...

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    a minute of applause is quite long.

I think a minute's silence is more appropriate. If applause follows then okay.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post

I think that is a fair comment... I will be in Canberra but not sure if I will be at the match... Likely I will watch it at a club... but I'll be standing for Shawn MacKay's remembrance… however I will support what the players and family feel is apt....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I think that the ground announcer will say what the go is and anyone who tries to do the opposite is a dick.

Fully support a huge cheer at the end of the minutes silence if they go with the silence though, it was a life that many would be grateful crossed their's.

By the TM, praising your own posts doesn't make them a better post!

Last edited by Burgs; 08-04-09 at 21:11.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    You're such an old fuddy duddy Fulv, but then from a man who would wear a wig! No not me, I have an abundance of hair, on my back.

vCash
    Yes, I know, I'm the world's second pinko conservative.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post

I just hope that, if it is to be a minute's anything, it is genuinely a minute...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast