Thread: The Laws Explained Part IV - Law 15 Tackle

vCash

The Laws Explained Part IV - Law 15 Tackle

In the light of the TMO-referred decision in RWC game Fiji v Canada, whether or not Mike Pyke from Canada scored his try, here's an update on why it wasn't a try.

You will all remember The Rhyming One went on a bit of a run and, despite there being an overlap, decided his was the glory and went for the line. He was tackled by a Fijian defender, Isoa Neivua. Immediately post-tackle he manouvred himself over the line and dotted the ball down. Now, the Fox commentators were soiling themselves about how it clearly wasn't a "double movement" (no such phrase in law) and nor was he held at the time he went over said line.

BUT.... Law 15.4 says:
    15.4 THE TACKLER
    (a) When a player tackles an opponent and they both go to ground, the tackler must immediately release the tackled player.
    (b) The tackler must immediately get up or move away from the tackled player and from the ball at once.
    (c) The tackler must get up before playing the ball.

OK? so that was exactly what Neivua did. Except (c), but that's ok.

NOT ONLY, BUT ALSO
    15.5 THE TACKLED PLAYER
    (a) A tackled player must not lie on, over, or near the ball to prevent opponents from gaining possession of it, and must try to make the ball available immediately so that play can continue.
    (b) A tackled player must immediately pass the ball or release it. That player must also get up or move away from it at once.
    (c) A tackled player may release the ball by putting it on the ground in any direction, provided this is done immediately.
    (d) A tackled player may release the ball by pushing it along the ground in any direction except forward, provided this is done immediately.
    (e) If opposition players who are on their feet attempt to play the ball, the tackled player must release the ball.
    (f) If a tackled player’s momentum carries the player into the in-goal, the player can score a try or make a touch down.
    (g) If players are tackled near the goal line, these players may immediately reach out and ground the ball on or over the goal line to score a try or make a touch down.

So, in particular, (b) A tackled player must immediately pass the ball or release it. That player must also get up or move away from it at once.
    (c) A tackled player may release the ball by putting it on the ground in any direction, provided this is done immediately.

Rhyming Mike Pyke was required to play the by passing, rolling or placing it. Immediately. Not roll or crawl a bit closer to the line and then place it.

As he failed to comply with his requirements of the tackle law, he was penalised. Chalk up one for the TMO and yet another brickbat for the commentators.

Right. Thanks for your attention. Lesson ends.

Carry on all

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    i would have rolled away too if a fijian rugby player was gonna land on me, i would have awarded the try.

what is a tackled player? if they let go and you hit the ground is it play on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza93
    i would have rolled away too if a fijian rugby player was gonna land on me, i would have awarded the try.

what is a tackled player? if they let go and you hit the ground is it play on.
    Do please feel free to go to my first lesson in this forum: http://thewholeforce.com/showthread.php?t=9158

That'll get you everything you ever wanted to know

vCash
    thanks