Thread: Origin concept appeals to Tuqiri

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Origin concept appeals to Tuqiri

Origin concept appeals to Tuqiri

Wayne Smith | September 24, 2007

IT's a dangerous argument for him to advance but Lote Tuqiri believes New Zealand is strong enough to exist as a stand-alone force at the World Cup, without also drawing on the cream of rugby talent from the south Pacific.

Former Fijian Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka said last week the International Rugby Board should play the World Cup on a State of Origin basis, giving players from Fiji, Samoa and Tonga the option of playing for their country of birth or the country in which they ply their trade as professional footballers.

It's an appealing concept, although one that would ultimately rebound against islander players who migrate to New Zealand and Australia pursuing professional contracts, which represent a passport to prosperity.

But while Sigatoka-born Tuqiri was troubled by the practicalities of such a scheme, he also saw the appeal of a system that stopped the All Blacks continuing as the British Lions of the southern hemisphere, drawing their strength from four separate countries.

Asked if the All Blacks needed to supplement their already intimidating base of New Zealand-born players, Tuqiri replied: "No, they don't. I think that would bring them back to the field a fair way if that happened."

More than a quarter of New Zealand's World Cup squad was born in the south Pacific - Joe Rokocoko and Sitiveni Sivivatu in Fiji, Jerry Collins, Chris Masoe, Mils Muliaina, Rodney So'oialo and Isaia Toeava in Samoa and Sione Lauaki in Tonga.

"They've got a good talent pool over there, haven't they," Tuqiri asked.

The Wallabies winger is more than aware of the soft underbelly of his argument. As a Fijian-born player, indeed one who captained Fiji in the rugby league World Cup, he might well be forced to trade his gold jersey for Fijian white if a State of Origin concept were approved.

"It might apply to me as well and I'm pretty happy where I am," Tuqiri said.

"I'm totally committed to the Wallabies and the ARU."

Presumably, any moves towards an Origin format might also cause complications for South African-born Dan Vickerman and Canadian-born Matt Dunning, although it's unlikely Indonesia (Guy Shepherdson), Saudi Arabia (Stephen Moore) or Zambia (George Gregan) would be making any call on its lost sons.

Nonetheless, such strong following do transplanted islanders continue to enjoy in the south Pacific that interim Fijian Prime Minister Frank Bainimarama was forced last week to issue a public plea to his people to get behind their own side at the World Cup and not attach themselves to the heavyweight contenders.

Even if Tuqiri was inclined to represent his country of birth, there also would be financial considerations for him to weigh up. It's highly doubtful that Fiji would be able to match what Tuqiri is receiving from the ARU to play for the Wallabies at this tournament.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Even if Tuqiri was inclined to represent his country of birth, there also would be financial considerations for him to weigh up. It's highly doubtful that Fiji would be able to match what Tuqiri is receiving from the ARU to play for the Wallabies at this tournament.
    and there endeth the reality of this concept ever coming to fruition

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!