A great loss to Manu Samoa.

Jones to quit Samoa post

Greg Ford in Nantes | September 24, 2007 - 8:14AM

Michael Jones will step down as coach of Manu Samoa next week.

The former All Black confirmed the move in the wake of yesterday's disappointing loss to England .

Samoa was beaten by the defending champions 44-22 in Nantes.

His last game in charge of Samoa will be against USA this weekend: Samoa's tournament swansong.

"I have made it clear to the rugby union back in Samoa that this is my last tour of duty," he said.

"It is time for some new blood and a new voice.

"There are some new coaches coming through the Samoa coaching system and I have to get on with my own life."

Jones said he was unable to devote enough time to the role.

"I can't do this on a part time basis," he said.

"I have never taken on this job full time and I think I am always up against it in that regard.

"Not being able to put the time into the job it deserves, because Samoa is a special team, is one of my greatest regrets."

Despite not making the quarter finals of the tournament, Jones said Samoan rugby was in good health.

"We are happy as a coaching staff that we have made strides," he said.

"So I can walk away knowing we are leaving Manu Samoa rugby is good hands.

"There is a good platform now to actually make the quarters at the next cup and I believe we can."

The former All Black superstar said he would return to Auckland where he works for a community based trust. And for good measure he will switch allegiances and cheer on the All Blacks for the remainder of the tournament.

"That's the privilege I have of having this heritage - I am as much Samoan as Kiwi," he said.

"I was very privileged to serve New Zealand rugby for a long time and I was totally committed to serving Samoan rugby for six-and-a-half years or so.

"But the All Blacks are always my other team of course and I definitely like what I see. I can see them potentially going all the way."

Fairfax Media