Thread: Almost famous; Ruck & Maul

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Almost famous; Ruck & Maul

Almost famous

Greg Growden and Rupert Guinness | September 27, 2007 - 10:18PM

SOME Wallabies can wander around Montpellier without being shackled by the attention that comes with World Cup fame. Julian Huxley, who will be Australia's chief playmaker against Canada in Bordeaux this weekend, was walking through the old part of town this week with his brother and a friend when a local, speaking in broken English, approached them. Realising they were Australians, the local said excitedly: "You're Australians. Go and see the Wallabies. They're down there in a cafe." He then got very lively, saying: "There's Matt Dunning," while waving his arms about imitating a prancing giant. He continued: "There's big Nathan Sharpe and even Al 'Le Fuse' Baxter." One of the group replied: "Is Julian Huxley there?" This brought a shrug and a "pffffft", followed by: "I suppose. Go and see."

Trip down memory pain

The Tongans again showed they are true gentlemen after they were forced to wait for about 30 minutes for their press conference because of a clash of times with the Wallabies in Montpellier. While the Wallabies media gabfest continued, the Tongans waited on the street. They started to get a bit edgy, saying they would have to go in five minutes, but then stayed on to stage an entertaining media conference. When asked if the prospect of Tonga beating England on Friday night to make the quarter-finals made this the biggest week in Tongan sport, second-rower Inoke Afeaki quipped: "That was in 1973 ... but no one is around here who remembers that." Oh yes we do! June 30, 1973. Ballymore. Tonga 16 Australia 11. "Remember Tonga" has been the catchcry in Australian rugby ever since, after their most embarrassing Test loss. And Tonga's No.8 Finau Maka, whose wild hairstyle resembles the Jackson Five at their peak, was asked if he was going to have a haircut before the England game. "No. If I cut my hair, I lose my power," Maka said.

Cantona kicks in

Eric Cantona, the French football superboot in more ways than one, has offered advice to the French rugby team. The man who earnt worldwide fame for nearly decapitating a spectator with a kung-fu kick, has encouraged Le Bleus to switch to a kicking game if they meet the All Blacks in the finals. "I find that we don't play enough with the foot," Cantona said. "I hate that." Cantona also revealed if he were a rugby player, his preferred position would be five-eighth or fullback. "At fullback you have space. Space is freedom. The choice to do what you want to show off your talent, and after you, there is nobody. It's also a position of decision, and where you can counter-attack, or play your kicking game."

Profit and loss

Even if New Zealand beat France in an expected quarter-final clash, that wacky French coach Bernard Laporte will still come out with extra dollars in his pocket. Our roving southern France correspondent Jacques Le Lad was in his favourite gym in Toulouse when he overheard the receptionist say the All Blacks were planning to use their facilities before their final group match against Romania. Guess what? Bernie, who has more than 20 businesses, is a part-owner of the gym.

Street cred for Sands

The pubs of Paris might have been full of Irish supporters getting their swill before the game against France last Friday. But it was a different atmosphere not so far away near Stade de France, where a small ceremony was held to honour IRA activist Bobby Sands, who died on a hunger strike at the age of 27 while imprisoned in 1981 in Belfast. The purpose of this ceremony was to name a local street after him. Northern Ireland Government officials, including a Sinn Fein representative, were at the ceremony.

Familiar territory

Georgia, who play France in the final round on Sunday in Marseilles, cannot complain about not knowing enough about the opposition. Twenty-seven of their 30-man squad play in France.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Bahahaha! Ah Huxley....hehehe

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Whats up with Al 'Le Fuse" Baxter

I thought it was Le Trestle

or Le Gambler (ya gotta know when to fold 'em)

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    haha they're funny especially Huxley's and the Irish one.