Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lyons out of World Cup

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Lyons out of World Cup

Was very impressed with Lyons in a come-back match, he brought his trademark "wrecking ball" aggression to the mauls and is a bad loss to the Squad.
    I would be in favour of Tawake as a replacement if anyone goes over as I rackon he deserved to be there anyway.

Lyons out of World Cup

From Jim Morton in Bordeaux, France
    September 30, 2007

AUSTRALIA No.8 David Lyons has been ruled out of the remainder of the Rugby World Cup with a broken leg.

X-rays confirmed that Lyons fractured his left fibula in falling awkwardly in a tackle during the second half of the 37-6 Pool B win against Canada overnight.

In his first start in the tournament, the 117kg powerhouse had been in damaging form before the 45th-minute blow at Stade Chaban-Delmas in Bordeaux.

The Wallabies will call for a replacement tomorrow or Monday, but team management is currently assessing their options.

Brumbies back rower Jone Tawake looms as the favourite, as he is the player who best fits the power mould of Lyons and fellow No.8 Wycliff Palu.

Tawake was one of three players - including lock James Horwill and veteran Matt Cockbain - who were on stand-by for Lyons and Palu when they were under injury clouds before the tournament.

Western Force No.8 Scott Fava would also be in contention.

But the selectors could also decide to choose a player from a different position due to a number of injuries in the backline.

The unavailability of Stephen Larkham and Scott Staniforth have left them short of options in the backs.

Lyons was playing his first Test since coming off the bench against South Africa in Sydney on July 7.

He was ruled out of the Tri-Nations decider against New Zealand, with a blood clot, and has since been on blood-thinning medication.

Lyons, who must give himself three injections a day, came off the medication to play Canada and enjoyed a destructive first half in drizzling rain.

"`He was playing very well," Wallabies coach John Connolly said.

"He was playing very forcefully."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    He must feel pretty despondant, poor bugger...Was going off like a frog in a sock until the injury...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Poor guy just can't catch a break...

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Anyone notice this Wallaby team is starting to look like the '06 bunch with the amount of injuries. Is it just me or is there something the ARU need to be looking at in terms of physical performance?

Bugger, no more injuries to the forwards please! Might have to go postal if the Poms bloody bore the good guys to death in the quarter. Wilco is not a good look for World Rugby.

vCash
    I'm not too concerned about the injuries to the forwards. Lyons isn't a key player. The only other concern would be Palu but he seems to be fine for the moment and we have Sharpie's hyper-extended elbow or whatever which sounds like it'll be fine...though maybe goony can give us a better idea of what this means

I think the back line is more of a concern atm..

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna
    I'm not too concerned about the injuries to the forwards. Lyons isn't a key player. The only other concern would be Palu but he seems to be fine for the moment and we have Sharpie's hyper-extended elbow or whatever which sounds like it'll be fine...though maybe goony can give us a better idea of what this means

I think the back line is more of a concern atm..
    Problem being the backup players, no offense to Aussies but your second stringers don't look that good to be honest. Well done Eddie Jones, fark developing new talent. Some of the MARC boys may be getting a phone call today

Memo to Knuckles there's no backup for George to be honest, Gits isn't an option he covers the inside backs nicely, get on the bell to the Force ASAP mate if you lose Gregan in a tight one could prove costly considering the Wallaby forwards will be back pedaling against more formiable outfits.

Oh oh oh and punch Eddie "Moans" Jones in the mouth for us, bloody traitor!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Hyper extensions depend on the incident, severity and period of time exposed.
    I got tackled at a B&S and sat on the sole of my foot fully hypering my ankle, it was rooted for about six weeks.
    Elbows are very complicated joints however he may get away with it with first grade care etc and a jab on match day.
    He didn't swap sides in the scrum to bind so it may not be too severe.
    I wouldn't want to rely on Chisholm to start on current form

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    with all these injuries i miss matt rodgers. he would have been useful at the moment.
    provided he wasnt injured himself.

vCash
    Cordingley was absolutely crap out there, hennas would definately be an improvement...

vCash
    yes.
    cordingley has a piss weak pass. it floats everywhere

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jethro
    Problem being the backup players, no offense to Aussies but your second stringers don't look that good to be honest. Well done Eddie Jones, fark developing new talent. Some of the MARC boys may be getting a phone call today

Memo to Knuckles there's no backup for George to be honest, Gits isn't an option he covers the inside backs nicely, get on the bell to the Force ASAP mate if you lose Gregan in a tight one could prove costly considering the Wallaby forwards will be back pedaling against more formiable outfits.

Oh oh oh and punch Eddie "Moans" Jones in the mouth for us, bloody traitor!

it isnt Eddie Jones fault that the backup players arnt world class players. he was the wallabies coach and his job was to coach the best team in the country. i dont think the wallabies coach is in charge of developing players.

vCash
    Agreed Jazza, lets hope the ARC will improve the second string players into potential rep players and narrow the gap...

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    So they had a bad game everyone does. Adam Ashley Cooper and Lote Tuqiri were playing out of position and Julian Huxley isn't exactly our best fly-half. Tack in Sheps' lack of time with the squad and Sam Cordingleys uselessness and you have a recipe for a pretty bland backline performance. Made a lot worse by wet weather conditions. You are guaranteed with Mortlock, Giteau, little Berry and George running the show that they will play a lot better and judging by Englands recent performances tear them a new one.

vCash
    Cordingley's lack of pace in delivering the ball to the backs concerned me somewhat.
    I was glad when GG came on to take control. TO think but a year ago so many people wanted him gone.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I heard reference to eleven players to come back in for England so I wouldn't get too bogged down on those on display last night.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast