Scottish rugby mourns Bruce Hay

From correspondents in Edinburgh, Scotland
October 02, 2007

BRUCE Hay, the former Scotland and British and Irish Lions wing and fullback has died at age 57 after a long illness, the Scottish Rugby Union (SRU) announced.

Hay played 23 Tests for Scotland between 1975 and 1982 with his first and last Tests both against New Zealand at Eden Park, Auckland.

He also played three Tests for the Lions on their 1980 tour of South Africa, scoring a try in the third match of that series.

Scotland captain Jason White, in an SRU statement, said: "It's obviously very sad to hear of Bruce's death.

"I first met him as a member of the Scotland Under-19 squad that he managed at the IRB World Championship in Argentina 10 years ago.

"He was a really genuine guy with the interests of players always uppermost in his mind. On behalf of all the players I extend our sympathies to his family and friends.''

Scotland coach Frank Hadden said: "Bruce's contribution to Scottish Rugby has been simply immense. If there was a more popular man in the game, then I have yet to meet him.''

Hay's try against the All Blacks at Murrayfield in December 1978 was the first by a Scot against New Zealand for 53 years.

A spokesman with the Scotland World Cup squad in France said the team planned to mark Hay's death before kick-off in its World Cup quarter-final against Argentina in Paris on Sunday, although the exact nature of the tribute had yet to be decided.

Agence France-Presse