Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Australia v England - Preview & Lead up

vCash
    Agree entirely, I think we'd be smart to play away from the scrums until we've had a chance to run them around a bit and tire them out. Then pile in on the scrums and dent their confidence before they've got the energy to push. If we do the job properly, I'd hope to see Stirling call a scrum upon receiving a penalty about the 70th minute.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash

Wallabies Name Side For RWC Quarter-Final With England

Wallabies Name Side For RWC Quarter-Final With England

The Australian Wallabies have announced their team to play England in the sudden-death Rugby World Cup 2007 Quarter Final in Marseille on Saturday.

vCash
    Also added this already to the preview thread...

Fairly predictable line up. Not impressed about Mitchell being stuck on the bench…seriously what does the guy have to do? Also I note they kept to the 5:2 split which would be fine except I’m not quite convinced Huxley is the man to replace all the backs hmmm

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    John Connolly, You're a twat.............on what planet would you drop someone in form like Drew Mitchell (Currently tying Campo's try scoring record after the pool games) in favour of Adam Ashley-Cooper who has at the least got a dodgy foot and was never very quick all based upon him scoring a couple of tries against New Zealand at home three months ago. Bad move, I hope it doesn't bite us all in the A$$.

As for the other wing..........no comment!

C'mon the

vCash
    who said the best team is starting

there is no doubt drew mitchell is the best winger in the team so far. i think he will bring drew on as an impact player in the 2nd half, it would be a very smart move.

if he came on at %100 and was playing the other winger at %70 he will have a huge advantage. he will make a big impact.

the team looks great, the aussie back line is very strong and with the backup they have they will domminate the poms.

the forwards have a hard game.

vCash
    I agree Jazz. You don't lead with your strongest arm.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GiteauIsGunnaScoreTwenty
    John Connolly, You're a twat.............on what planet would you drop someone in form like Drew Mitchell (Currently tying Campo's try scoring record after the pool games) in favour of Adam Ashley-Cooper who has at the least got a dodgy foot and was never very quick all based upon him scoring a couple of tries against New Zealand at home three months ago. Bad move, I hope it doesn't bite us all in the A$$.

As for the other wing..........no comment!
    Maybe if I change my name to James Norton-Cooper he will put me in to start at Tight-head prop manning up on Andy Sheridan. "I only weigh 75kg and I'm as weak as piss but John my name is Norton-Cooper. Norton-Cooper. Two last names makes me doubly special."

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    England rocked by star's injury

October 04, 2007 ENGLAND has had a major injury blow just two days before its World Cup quarter-final against Australia with centre Andy Farrell ruled out with a strained right calf muscle.

"Andy Farrell's right calf suffered a reaction after training yesterday (Wednesday)," the Rugby Football Union (RFU) said in a statement.

"A clinical review and MRI scan this morning confirmed a strain and the Saracens centre is now being rehabilitated by the England medical team."

The statement added England coach Brian Ashton would announce Farrell's replacement at a news conference at the team hotel in Marseille on Friday.

Former Great Britain rugby league captain Farrell was due to start at inside centre against the Wallabies having forced his way in ahead of the likes of 2003 World Cup winner Mike Catt and Olly Barkley.

Ashton would appear to face a straight choice between promoting Barkley off the bench or recalling 36-year-old Catt for his first appearance since South Africa smashed England 36-0 in the group phase.

Barkley had a poor game defensively against Tonga six days ago, while Catt offers considerable experience and is a survivor of England's successful 2003 World Cup campaign.

The loss of Farrell is a cruel blow both to the player and his team, with Ashton having selected him for the "direct approach" he would have brought.

Ashton, when announcing his side on Wednesday, made it clear just how much England would be relying on Farrell against Australia.

"For this game, we need the direct approach Andy Farrell that brings to the game," Ashton said.

"He has come on a couple of times as a replacement and has done particularly well. He's been a threat to the opposition line, through his kicking game, defensive working and leadership and general game management.

"He has looked sharper and sharper as the tournament has gone on." Farrell's £500,000 ($1.15 million) switch from Wigan to Saracens in 2005 raised eyebrows when a succession of injuries kept him sidelined for the first year of the deal.

The 32-year-old, capped just five times before the World Cup, has also been accused by critics of being too slow and lacking sufficient tactical appreciation of the 15-man code. "If my contributions can lift the side, then I've played my part."

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

vCash
    Ah you beat me to it G. Bet Gits is feeling a little happier now He'll certainly be playing a different game

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Deadly English duo return

From Paul Kent in Marseille, France
    October 05, 2007

MURDER and Mayhem are back together, and suddenly England look very different.

Jonny Wilkinson and Jason Robinson will play together at this Rugby World Cup for the first time tomorrow, bringing a whole new depth to England's strike power.

Robinson tore a hamstring against South Africa in what was the last game Wilkinson missed. Jonny has since returned to lead England past Samoa and Tonga in credible, if not wholly damaging, performances.

With Wilkinson as the sole England offensive threat, the Poms have so far spluttered in attack, lacking a one-two punch.

Where Wilkinson can kill you, Robinson can destroy you. Wilkinson ticks over the scoreboard at all too regular intervals until suddenly it drops like an avalanche: there's too many points to overhaul.

Robinson, as Australia backs coach Scott Johnson said, is different: "He can beat you in a phone booth."

Murder and Mayhem. Together again ... possibly. For here's the twist: amid the celebration at Robinson's return on Wednesday, a small itch of doubt has sprung up.

Will Robinson actually play or is his selection merely a smokey to misdirect the Australians?

England coach Brian Ashton confirmed that he thought Robinso's career was over when he went down clutching a hamstring against South Africa.

Robinson will retire after this Rugby World Cup and Ashton couldn't see him making it back. Given that Ashton's best-case scenario was England making the World Cup final, that meant he envisioned Robinson being sidelined for at least six weeks. Yet he is back after three.

He began field training this week and suggested the hamstring was strong. But hamstrings can be fragile injuries. They're odd like that.

They tear and slowly improve and every day they feel better, but the player can never be completely confident until coming through the most intense workout. Many still-injured players can carry a partly healed tear, running within themselves; few of them can sprint.

Given that Robinson's explosive speed is his greatest asset, which also brings the greatest stress on the hamstrings, it was worth asking whether he has actually tested it yet or will he not know until the game on Saturday?

So a mouthy Australian journalist asked a simple question. Has he tested it? The obvious answer to this would be to tell a lie.

But Robinson is a born-again Christian, and it's rumoured that such people don't look upon kindly at such things.

The next-best answer would be no, of course not, and that he wouldn't test it until he needed to test it. The commonsense approach. But the question seemed to surprise him and as he searched for an answer he instead grew more cryptic.

"A lot of you, well, quite a few of you, have been at our training sessions this week," he said. "I started training and I have done everything that I needed to do. There's no problem whatsoever."

He still hadn't answered the question.

Not only that, but those folk who had attended England training sessions saw only the first 20 minutes, according to Rugby World Cup guidelines, when most teams have not ventured much past the warm-up.

So as a follow-up, ask it again: But have you tested it? "I've just told you there's no problems," Robinson said. "I'm running and I'm training with the team, so there's obviously no problems because I'm training with the team."
    Still no confirmation that he has tested it.

So will he play?

Certainly England would like him to, for more than just his talent brings.
    Adding a second world-class backline threat alongside old Murder himself, Jonny Wilkinson, is the tonic England need.

The Daily Telegraph

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna
    Haha sure chook:
    1. We're a little worried about Jonny and his drop goals
    2. Don't underestimate England - their scrum and lineouts are pretty good
    3. England are saying they think they can beat Aust but are actually worried about being kicked out
    4. Staniforth won't be playing as his shoulder is still stuffed but Bernie is finally out and about training again and hopefully will be back for the All Blacks
    5. Berrick is pretty excited to be playing his childhood hero given that when the last world cup was on he (like me) was watching it after having just finished high school...lol

Is that better?

Thank you Jehna, and you too James.

Trying to read too many words makes my hair hurt.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2