Good to see some agro at the 50 over game. Maybe this sort of thing will kill Twenty/20? Although the more the Indians fire up the less effective is their cricket. Can't get to Steve's level overnight I spose

India firebrand follows Steve Waugh's teachings

Article from: The Daily Telegraph

By Richard Earle

October 05, 2007 12:00am

INDIA'S controversial young fast bowler Shanth Sreesanth says he learnt to be aggressive on the cricket field by following the teachings of Steve Waugh.

He may be of Hindu faith, but Sreesanth revealed yesterday it was Waugh's career memoirs that had become his guide to life as an international cricketer at "war" with Australia.

"I am a big fan of Steve Waugh[EDIT: This guy is a champ!]. In his autobiography he said he always enjoyed proving people wrong. I have read the whole book and I really enjoyed it," Sreesanth said.

"Steve says to never back down so that is what I will be trying to do."

Out Of My Comfort Zone is the prominent catchline on Waugh's book. It's an apt description for the Kerala quick who has pursued head-on conflict against Australia, particularly Brad Haddin, Andrew Symonds and Matthew Hayden during the Twenty20 World Cup in South Africa and ensuing one-day series.

Waugh said from Scotland last night he was pleased to hear his book had proved an inspiration but warned Sreesanth not to go too far.

"I'm happy he got a lot out of it - that was one of the reasons why I wrote it (to inspire young players)," Waugh said.

"I like his spirit and passion and I'm sure the Australians would respect that.

"But you have to be careful you don't cross that line and go beyond the spirit of the game. He has got to be smart about what he is doing.

"He has to be careful he doesn't go over the top otherwise he will be spending a couple of matches on the sideline. You have to be sensible about things."

Sreesanth, coached by legendary Australian Dennis Lillee, notes Waugh pursued a process of mental disintegration against all opposition.

A multi-lingual former national break-dancing champion and a psychology graduate, Sreesanth said he would not be subdued by Australian intimidation tactics.

"I have been watching them. No one likes it when a player comes and starts staring at you. I just try to do my best," he said.

"If a player comes up and stares, I go 'what the hell'."

The centre wicket stoush with Haddin and Symonds during Australia's 84-run win in Kochi was triggered, says Sreesanth, by an impulsive wish to impress his home crowd and family.

"I got the opportunity to play against Australia - the best side in the world," he said.

"My family came to the stadium. I was really charged up. I wanted to show my crowd that Australians might be the best but I can stand up to them and bowl."

The Australians have labelled Sreesanth, 24, as childish - a charge he curiously endorsed with a cheeky grin.

He says his psychology studies have taught him to be skilled at twisting mind games to his advantage. "I am a child of the game, they are all legends," he said.

Sreesanth carries a catalogue of fights with experienced opponents including Brian Lara, Hayden, Kevin Pietersen and Andre Nel [EDIT: Andre, the agent of the Devil on earth] which have attracted the ICC's wrath during a 11-Test, 31-game one-day career. He has even exchanged words with mentor Sachin Tendulkar in domestic matches.

But he knows he needs to address elements of his white-line fever addiction.

"I should curb some of my antics. I have to be sure I don't do anything that hurts any player or the game," he said.