Thread: We'll break their ''backs''

vCash

Question We'll break their ''backs''

AAC, Talking the talk. Kick some ass and take some names, son! On a side note, AACs quotes don't really match the Rugbyheaven articles title. Apparently this article is by Pie Growden. Posted twice on RugbyHeaven, once without Growdens monika, once with it.

We'll break their backs

October 6, 2007

Adam Ashley-Cooper has warned England that the Wallabies back line is in the mood to seriously punish their opponents during their quarter-final at the Stade Velodrome on Saturday.

The Wallabies winger was blunt in his prediction that the Australian attack would show that they could match the All Blacks for flair and clinical execution. "If we can get enough ball in the right territory, I have the belief that our back line can do some damage and put a lot of points on the board," Ashley-Cooper said yesterday.

"I know we have a great win in us, and we can make a statement - a good one at that."

While some Wallabies players and officials have shied away from provoking England, it was encouraging that one of the younger squad members had the courage to stick his chin out.

In doing so, Ashley-Cooper took note of the quality of his fellow backs. Berrick Barnes and Matt Giteau had developed an excellent inner-back combination, Stirling Mortlock was returning at outside-centre, Lote Tuqiri was desperate to score a World Cup try, and Chris Latham was gradually reaching the form that had him tagged world's best at fullback.

Yet Ashley-Cooper was mindful that to expose England's glaring defensive weaknesses in the midfield, the Wallabies had to be at least competitive up front. And they had to counter the dangerous kicking game of five-eighth Jonny Wilkinson.

"Wilkinson is going to be a massive factor in this game," Ashley-Cooper said. "We really have to be disciplined in what we do in our half. We know as soon as the referee's whistle is blown, Jonny is going to put it over for three points. So keeping him at bay is a massive focus for us."

Apart from Wilkinson knocking over penalties, Australia's back three of Ashley-Cooper, Tuqiri and Latham are anticipating that he will put up a barrage of high kicks in the hope that England can dominate territory and work off Wallabies mistakes under pressure.

Ashley-Cooper said he would "definitely be seeing a fair bit of high ball and covering kicks from Jonny". Tuqiri added that England would "kick a lot, but they also chase well".

"We've done a fair bit this week to hopefully be prepared for that and be primed to be in a good position to try to counter whatever they do," Tuqiri said.

"We'll be OK, as long as we have our heads screwed on properly."

The Wallabies were far more coy about whether they would be as relentless in their kicking game. In the past they have opted for the bombs-away approach to take advantage of England fullback Jason Robinson's small build.

Tuqiri did not want to talk too much about that option but reluctantly, slowly, he offered: "Well, we've got that up our sleeve and, mate, that's about it." He then tried to change the subject.

Nonetheless, the most important quote of the week came from Wallabies defensive coach John Muggleton, who reiterated the immense Wilkinson factor.

"We've got to respect the halfway line virtually as our try line," Muggleton said. "We don't want them getting in our half, have the opposition kicking penalty goals and keeping the score ticking over."

Australia's back line might be on song but Wilkinson's rare boot can almost eclipse their deeds - at least on the scoreboard. And the Wallabies fearfully know this.

They realise that conceding penalties in their own half could easily determine whether they or England are headed towards the semi-finals.

Rugbyheaven

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by chook; 06-10-07 at 17:18.
    Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    We broke one already, Toby Flood is playing, whoever the hell he is. Replacing the replacement Gnarls Barkley.

England injury woes worsen
    6/10/2007 1:21:41 PM
    PA Sport

England has suffered a second injury blow ahead of its World Cup quarter-final clash against Australia on Saturday.

Bath back Olly Barkley, who was to have been among the replacements, has failed to recover from a dead leg suffered during training on Wednesday.

His place on the bench will be taken by Newcastle's Toby Flood, who flew out to join the squad almost three weeks ago after his Falcons colleague Jamie Noon suffered a tournament-ending knee injury.

Flood, who has eight caps, was unlucky to miss out on the original 30-man England World Cup squad. He has not featured in a Test match since England's defeat against South Africa in Pretoria four months ago.

Barkley's withdrawal comes just 24 hours after centre Andy Farrell was sidelined by a calf muscle strain suffered in the same training session.

Farrell has been replaced in the number 12 shirt by Mike Catt, who wins his 73rd cap at Stade Velodrome.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Too many articles chook...can you summarise it in dot point for me

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    For you Jehna? Of course!

1. AAC Joint states Wallaby backs can put a big score on the Pomlandians. Pie Growdens misleading headline of 'breaking backs' confuses chook.

2. Gnarls Barkley, the replacement for Farrell in the Pomlandian centres, gets broken before actually playing the Wallabies leading to that man of mystery Toby Flood stepping up. Chook wonders if Pie Growden is omniscient or if the sauces in Froggelandia are especially tasty and informative.

3. chook rocks

Gigsa made me do it

vCash
    You missed a few i think...
    4. Tahs are awesome

5. Jehna has actually realised that Tuqiri is the love of her life...it's his ability to score tries that has won her over..

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    I didn't want to confuse you, you know, you being from the west and all.

I reckon I make points 4 and 5 in just about all my posts, come to think of it.

Gigsa made me do it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna
    You missed a few i think...
    4. Tahs are awesome

5. Jehna has actually realised that Tuqiri is the love of her life...it's his ability to score tries that has won her over..
    Have you been drinking?

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight
    Have you been drinking?
    Yes actually...but that's not the point...haha